IGNORED

Phaser1 - new GTIA music engine

xxl

Nice music as always. Technically great too.

Is there a link to a table of the differences between all the different versions? There's a lot of formats now, but if I was to use one of the formats, how would I know which one to choose without going through all of the features of each one?

It'd be good if it had values like:

Format Name: <name>

Player Exists For: Atari / Spectrum ... etc.

Drum Channels: 1

Tone Channels: 2

Notable features: Uses less CPU time than <other format>

Does such a table exist?

Here is a description of various engines and editors that you can use (I recommend BEEPOLA and 1TRACKER)

use this engine, which according to you generate best sound. all they taking almost 100% CPU time :(

meanwhile Phaser1 almost finished:

original:

atari:

• Like 3

This is amazing but could someone explain how this actually works? I do think I know what GTIA does normally but how is it "bent" to make music instead of graphics? Thanks!

Edited by slx

There are 4 I/O pins on GTIA, this is a carry over from the TIA in the 2600. The TIA was used to read 3 of the console switches. Since there was a single I/O pin left, it can be used for outputting. Since there is only 1-bit resolution, you have to switch it incredibly fast in order to make a tone. This is where the magic lies - getting multiple channels of digitized sound pushed through the chip with the limited CPU bandwidth.

• Like 2

@iesposta

here my attempt to 1bit sqeeker engine on a2600

@w1k

have you made a video? show.

@xxl

I have the binary. It is awesome. You have not shared any source, so I asked about playing these 8-bit squeeks on the 2600 TIA. I would like to compose my own as well.

@w1k

I own an XE and an 800XL.

• 2 weeks later...

player fixed:

Cool! It's much better but I still think it still slows down a little bit in the rapid arpeggio sections at 0:20-0:23 and 0:53-0:55 whereas the original has constant tempo throughout. But I'm probably pickier than most about such things. :)