IGNORED

Jaguar CD review Ultimate Future Games March 1995 issue 4

high voltage

Cool thanks for sharing. I think it's funny that Robinson's Requiem is a featured game when that was released when, a few months ago? ALSO...Freelancer 2120, whats that about?!

Apparently a Doom meets AVP game - so a FPS

post-6732-0-17602100-1398620614_thumb.jpg

Edited by orpheuswaking
  • Like 2

i never noticed that imagitec was behind the freelancer game.

Their games were pretty run of the mill, although they showed they could made a decent polygon engine with Iwar.

If nothing freelancer would've sounded good, imagitec made some nice audio tracks for other companies jaguar games.

• Like 2

Yeah it sounded like from the RVG interview they were a quick and dirty port company.

i never noticed that imagitec was behind the freelancer game.

Their games were pretty run of the mill, although they showed they could made a decent polygon engine with Iwar.

If nothing freelancer would've sounded good, imagitec made some nice audio tracks for other companies jaguar games.

• Like 1

Is 2120 the date of release? :dunce:

Thank you for sharing those scans: one more vapourware we probably never play on our Jag :sad: ...but it is good to know what the Jagotheque could have been :thumbsup:

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Thread bump, but this seems to clear up just what became of Freelancer 2120 Jaguar CD:

'It got dropped, when we examined what we could do with the CD it just no
way was as flexible as the PC CD-ROMs and drivers available. Also the
designer left after doing the PC version for 2 years, we had prototypes on
the PC done but running very slow, using Brender by Argonaut but with no
hardware acceleration on 33mhz 486. For the Jag version we were going to
license the Jag Doom engine but we had a few problems getting the tools to
work on the Next machine. (we had to buy one and somebody had to learn how
to use it)'
Source: "Andrew Seed"(coder at Imagitec)
Date: 1998/07/12
Newsgroups: alt.atari-jaguar.discussion,rec.games.video.atari
So i assume those screenshots in Gamesmaster magazine etc now join Edge's Jag CD Tomb Raider screens in some regard, as these would of come from the PC version talked about here?.
  • Like 3

• 3 years later...

Excuse thread bump/necrosis posting but the game doesn't deserve it's own thread.

Unconfirmed storyline etc for Freelancer 2120:

Space station sends out a distress call after it's over run with bio-genetic creatures..your tasked with saving the station and rescuing the survivors, whilst finding out who was responsible. ..

Talk of people you encountered being played by real ahem. .actors..

Game would have you leading a team, swapping between characters a la Aliens Electric Dreams on the old 8 bit micro's. .

You could use remote video drones.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just another update to this.

Some time ago Shaun Mcclure an artist at Imagitec Design was kind enough to explain the situation involved with this game and it's producer.

I've since heard back from a second artist at Imagitec, who not only confirmed the producers name, but corrected a statement Martin Hooley told Retro Gamer's freelancentre writer when interviewed for the magazines article on Imagitec.

It was the said Producer who took Freelancer 2120 with him when he joined Rebellion software in Oxford and attempted to have the game restarted under them.

Martin's hazy memory clearly got the better of him (again) as he had stated it was the games coder.

This is why i like to use multiple sources wherever possible, even if it takes months, to get clarity on claims where as RG sadly like to fall back on the same names for information.

So at least we know for sure now who took it and where.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for the necrobump, but just sent GTW some addt. PC press for this:

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2020/07/space-junk/

And in amongst the imagery was another new screen for Freelancer. 

With capton:

'Freelancer has taken the graphic look of Jurassic Park and Spear Of Destiny and considerably improved on it'. 

The article makes clear at this stage, most of Imagitec Design's focus was being spent on the Humans sequel, Evolution:Lost In Time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JagChris said:

I never owned iwar but it looks ok. Never wanted Bubsy. Imagitec seemed like a decent company. I liked Raiden and Zool. They weren't out to re-invent the wheel. Plus I hear the threw poor @Seedy1812 on the Jag as his very first job. 

Not quite right - I was was put on Dinodudes Falcon to start with . I had done some Atari St demos ( never released ) whilst at University so me doing Falcon stuff was a natural progression.  I had done most of the Falcon version before I started on the Jaguar. It was "finished" by another programmer whose name I forget. I don't think it got released as a full price game but a year or so later I was asked to remove the manual password protection from the game. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...