IGNORED

CATS and electronics! BTTSSSS! ZAPPPPPXXZZZ!

rockdoc2010

I love my cats.. I love my Eight bit computer parts!

I can't truly through across the room.. legally or humanely.. (Humane.. strange concept.. there cats)

if you live in the desert and its winter time and the humidity is in the 20% range.. DON'T PET YOUR CAT!

BANISH THE CAT or find somewhere not so zappy to your chips!

I have since bought an antistatic mat, wrist coupling bracelet that is plugged right into the ground line of my house ground..

CATS!!

Douglas

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh you want to hear about a static zap.. A few months ago I got out of bed and reached for my X-10 pluged-in style controller to turn the lights on. I've had it for years.. Touched the button and I got the nastiest static shock ever, and it killed the X-10 controller as well. I handed that thing every days for year, and I guess it's number was up.. Not it just randoms flashes and dims lights when I press a button on it.. OK, not Atari related, but a cautionary tale for sure...

I've got 5 cats (yes, I'm stupid) and its murder keeping them of the electronic stuff, one likes to try and climb the LED TV, one has been sick on my Wii twice (still working last time I tried), one likes to sit on top of the CRT I use for my old Atari, the trouble is it comes in from outside ringing wet.

How both my stuff and the cats have survived I don't know.

As for Atari related, somehow managed to touch the switch for my OmnimonXL and after a big static crack blow the poor thing up, thankfully the first chip I changed was just a standard 74 series item that still had the number on, first chip I changed and was lucky, it booted up again..Phew..

• Like 1

I finally managed to get things in perspective after the first time Basil (stripy tom) used the faux leather dust-cover on my 1200XL as a means of gaining purchase with his claws in order to haul himself up on top of the desk. After some anguished moments of reflection, I realized that the clawed dust cover was the lesser of two evils (the other evil being a clawed 1200XL). As butler to a quintet of felines, I realize that every valued possession will eventually be "christened" in one way or another, and thus I chose to stop getting stressed about it. The alternative (no cats) is a completely unacceptable scenario. :)

• Like 1

Two cats banished to outdoors in my house. One is my cat, and as soon as he go big enough to start jumping up on my electronics (and knocking stuff off) he became an outdoor cat. The second was my sister's cat, as she moved to be near me in Texas and she stayed with me for several months until she got a job and a home. The first time her cat jumped onto my vintage turntable, that was it, he was banished outside and I told her I was sorry, but I'm not going to let my vintage stuff be destroyed by a cat, especially if it's not mine. If he runs away, too bad (he didn't). I like my dog much better, he respects my stuff, and learns the first time he does something wrong not to do it again (very smart Siberian Husky). My cat ran off or got killed eventually (I live in the country, lots of wild animals) and I never plan to get another cat.

That's why cat people are different to dog people. I have an odd respect for the fact a cat will not take a blind bit of notice of what its "owner" tells it to do. Those who do not find such qualities endearing but still wish to juxtapose their valuables alongside a pet may consider a dog, who disguises his gullibility as intelligence and "obedience", thus flattering the owner. The fact the banished cat has not yet completely vacated the premises suggests that his planned retribution requires him to stick around for a while. :D

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

That's why cat people are different to dog people. I have an odd respect for the fact a cat will not take a blind bit of notice of what its "owner" tells it to do. Those who do not find such qualities endearing but still wish to juxtapose their valuables alongside a pet may consider a dog, who disguises his gullibility as intelligence and "obedience", thus flattering the owner. The fact the banished cat has not yet completely vacated the premises suggests that his planned retribution requires him to stick around for a while. :D

So far, my cat hasn't destroyed any of my electronics, although I have to be careful to keep wires out of reach so she won't chew on them. Somehow, she managed to learn never to jump on the kitchen counters (although she does still try the table from time to time), which I'm pretty grateful for. What I haven't been able to get her to stop doing is walking on top of my computers/keyboard, knocking my remotes off on to the floor, or turning on my Atari 5200 in the middle of the night (which I was actually extremely amused by the first time I noticed it had happened). But even with all their annoyances, I find cats to be much more pleasant creatures than dogs, and I will always have at least one cat in my home. :)

Believe me, my dog is intelligent and obedient, not just gullible and obedient. Not all dogs are intelligent, that's for sure, I've had my share of stupid dogs, but my Siberian Husky is smarter than many humans I know (and cats). I was a cat guy for many years until I finally got the dog I have now, an intelligent dog, which changed my mind towards dogs and cats. The cat is no longer around, he moved with my sister. Cats suck, they take, and give basically nothing in return. I shoot them on site now. (J/K) :P or am I?

Edited by Gunstar

I forgot to mention that one of my cats developed an unhealthy taste for my daughters iPad charger cable, 3 now at £15 - 20 pounds a time...

The cable seems tailor made to be the easiest cable in the world to damage and trust me my cat takes advantage of that weakness..

I forgot to mention that one of my cats developed an unhealthy taste for my daughters iPad charger cable, 3 now at £15 - 20 pounds a time...

The cable seems tailor made to be the easiest cable in the world to damage and trust me my cat takes advantage of that weakness..

Hook the charger up to 240, that's an advantage of the UK. You can zap unruly creatures with double the volts us yanks get :)

Hook the charger up to 240, that's an advantage of the UK. You can zap unruly creatures with double the volts us yanks get :)

We have 240 volt outlets for washer and dryer hook-ups and anyone with bit of electrical knowledge can bridge their fuse boxes to get 240 anywhere they want. ;)

We have 240 coming from our street lines, it's just stepped down to 120 for the average house-hold sockets at the fuse box.

Edited by Gunstar

I've been doing electronic projects for years, I have never used an anti static wrist band and have never had any problems. Last summer me and the GF got a cat. This winter I was working on a project with a keyboard circuit. The cat is kinda needy he always wants to be pet. I fried 2 keyboard circuits when he would sneak up from behind and began rubbing on me!! Lesson learned. If I'm working with exposed circuits the wrist band goes on and the cat goes in the basement.

As a side note I think AtariAge has a lot of cat lovers. I have often found it humorous how many people have had they're cat as avatars. I even thought it would be fun to start a show us your cat thread.

Edited by Dripfree

I think (but not looked) that there is a voltage reg in the plug part to bring it down to 5v..

I don't think my wife would like her fave puddy tat looking a little crispy :)

This is the offender...

post-13027-0-70556900-1399711054.png

As a side note I think AtariAge has a lot of cat lovers. I have often found it humorous how many people have had they're cat as avatars. I even thought it would be fun to start a show us your cat thread.

Why not, one of mine in the above post...

Heh. I only met this guy once, he was about 4 times your size, Jon, and they called him "Tubby".. I was visiting a friend in a VERY rural town called Holiday Lakes.

And yeah, he was probably inbred and almost certainly lacked anything resembling an education..

He was a Back-woods Hick...

But I still couldn't help but laugh... Wasn't my cat..

Edited by MEtalGuy66