IGNORED

Best way to send a package to Europe (France) from USA

scalpel

I agree with Voltron. I recently sent a package to someone in France (which happens to have your same name and address!) and it would have cost me over $200 USD to send using UPS International--and that was without insurance or anything extra! :o

The same package cost me considerably less sent via USPS Priority International Mail. It includes tracking as well.

For the real "cheap-o" solution, you could send USPS First Class, which would cost even less. The problem is that there is no protection, and the tracking works up until it reaches the border; once inside France, nobody knows what happens to it.

dZ.

P.S. Scalpel, keep an eye out for the postman. ;)

• Like 1

I've been using USPS First Class International for all of my recent order shipments. It's the best value overall for me. It would cost me something like $35 - $40 to ship USPS Priority International, but about $15 - $20 to ship USPS First Class. That before counting the cost of packing materials. Since I only charge $18 for international shipping, you can understand. $78 is already up there for a copy of Christmas Carol, shipped internationally. $100 is probably asking a bit too much.

If I do end up losing one or two copies of Christmas Carol to USPS First Class International (and so far, I haven't), I think everybody is still ahead of the game. (And should one get lost, don't worry, I will send another.)

The times I've looked at UPS and FedEx, my jaw dropped. I'm also told that, at least when shipping to Canada, the recipient also gets dinged with customs brokerage fees. Yow! Dunno if that's the case for other countries, but it wouldn't surprise me. Highway robbery, if you ask me.

• Like 4

I lived in France for almost 3 years, and I can state confidently that the post office in both France and the United States is very good. I tend to think of La Poste as being better than USPS, so once the package gets in the country it should be more than fine.

Living there taught us that if we wanted the relatives to send something, it had to come via USPS or the cost was outrageous. Interestingly, sending items to The States was much cheaper.

If that's the case I wonder why the few sellers that ship from France to the US charge an arm and a leg...

What constitutes "an arm and a leg?" $15? $35? $100? I haven't had anything shipped to me from France, but I know shipping to France for a small package is easily a $15 affair.

I'm sure William will chime in about how that's peanuts compared to shipping within Canada. ;) Canadian Post rates just seem crazy to me every time he mentions them.

What constitutes "an arm and a leg?" $15? $35? $100? I haven't had anything shipped to me from France, but I know shipping to France for a small package is easily a $15 affair.

I see how "an arm and a leg" is relative depending on what you're willing to pay. I was just referring to the shipping for a single game - I've had games shipped for 8 Euros which I'm fine with but I have had more than a few sellers quote me 25 Euros.

I understand probably these sellers don't want to get burned and send it the most secure way but I've never had any problems with games sent from Germany or the U.K. sent with a more economic option.

I agree with Voltron. I recently sent a package to someone in France (which happens to have your same name and address!) and it would have cost me over $200 USD to send using UPS International--and that was without insurance or anything extra! :o

The same package cost me considerably less sent via USPS Priority International Mail. It includes tracking as well.

For the real "cheap-o" solution, you could send USPS First Class, which would cost even less. The problem is that there is no protection, and the tracking works up until it reaches the border; once inside France, nobody knows what happens to it.

dZ.

P.S. Scalpel, keep an eye out for the postman. ;)

Thank you so much DZ-Jay ! Sorry for the cost... I should move to US ^^

I keep an eye out for the postman ! :)

Thank you so much DZ-Jay ! Sorry for the cost... I should move to US ^^

I keep an eye out for the postman ! :)

No worries. I didn't pay the extortionists UPS charges! I told the clerk, "$200.00 for a mug? Seriously? It'll probably be cheaper if Pascal came over to pick it up himself!" :o

Anyway, USPS says it's on its way to be delivered today. I've PM'd the tracking number. Let me know when you receive it. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay