IGNORED

Fire Hose to ribbon cable

Ed in SoDak

On 4/22/2014 at 6:05 PM, arcadeshopper said:

I just bought one from these guys.. I get issues when placing it between the speech and firehose..

http://www.iec-usa.com/cgi-bin/iec/L1172

It has a bit of card in the end connector for connecting to the other side.. The one that came with it is actually two pieces..

They also sell a splitter for 2 boxes/devices

http://www.iec-usa.com/cgi-bin/iec/L1173

I bought both.. So far haven't gotten either set up working right.

Greg

12 hours ago, Airshack said:

Same here Greg @arcadeshopper. I ordered the same cable from the same website and it won’t work with speech synth hooked up which is a major disappointment.

Hmmm, maybe try putting the speech into the firehose end instead of at the console?

FWIW - My cable from Cable Depot arrived today - yea a hurricane day - and it does have the gold fingered, molded cable at the male end, not a PCB arrangement.

And a pretty smart way of protecting the ends during shipping.PEB_EXT_CABLE.thumb.jpg.1049366d7319999ffd0972dec35d5208.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dhe said:

FWIW - My cable from Cable Depot arrived today - yea a hurricane day - and it does have the gold fingered, molded cable at the male end, not a PCB arrangement.

And a pretty smart way of protecting the ends during shipping.PEB_EXT_CABLE.thumb.jpg.1049366d7319999ffd0972dec35d5208.jpg

Doing research for an eventual purchase.  How long, how much, and order number please.

See Post 97 in this thread for URL.

18"

$30

L1172

Giving some thought to the whole pbox / console arrangement, putting the interface card on the left of the pbox, and the plugin to the console on right side was a pretty bad arrangement, looks like one team or another could have moved their connect side! ?

Also, while I think a connector of 7.5" on the side is a bit much, I guess when you started out with six foot of peripherals out the side, reducing that to 7" meant it was Miller time...

Haven't tried it yet? Should work fine, looks more robust than mine. 18 inches seems restrictive though. The generous 5-foot length on mine lets the PEB go anywhere, even on the floor beside the desk, with the firehose hidden beneath. The flat ribbon cable (no intertwined conductors) folds easily to run right along the console.

Just being free of the klunky firehose is worth it. Reclaim your desk!

When they were offering the extension cables through various commercial entities, the maximum length was given as 18". Any longer resulted in  signal deterioration and failure. In fact, when using one of the Y-cable splitter cables, each of the "arms" was limited to 8" for much the same reason. The farther you get from the console, the poorer the signal gets. 

Haven't tried it yet.

My Brain is Small, it can only handle one project at a time, so that cable went into a box, called PBOX Reorganization Project.

Once the Project makes it to the top of queue, then I'll find out. ?

• Like 1

I have one of the crappy cables with two pieces of finger board stuck into one end, and every time it gets bumped it stops working and I have to fiddle with it to get it working again. The two pieces of finger board get out of alignment with the female connector, and I have to move them around until I get a good connection. It is super-annoying to use. No idea why they went with two pieces that need to be adjusted so there is a little gap between them to line up correctly with the connector. Why not just one that fills the length of the connector? No idea, but it is a terrible solution. I wouldn't bother with it if I had the desk-space for the giant foot on the PEB cable.

After seeing this, I confirmed that the one they ship is identical to the one pictured on the website and ordered one. Hope it works out.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 1:38 PM, dhe said:

Haven't tried it yet.

I want to get one but the one I have is a POS. Tried it plugged directly into the console and no-dice. It fell apart when I pulled it out. Crappy plastic connector cap came undone. 

So….no pressure but we’re all waiting for you to find two minutes to try it out. @dhe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...