IGNORED

Js99'er

Asmusr

Hey use the GPL Assembler for making GPL code like the XB cart and minimum file size for my files is 740K of text files but the LIST files may be 1800 to 2300 in size.

So how big of disk will it handle?

Is it like Classic99 and no limit?

Hey use the GPL Assembler for making GPL code like the XB cart and minimum file size for my files is 740K of text files but the LIST files may be 1800 to 2300 in size.

So how big of disk will it handle?

Is it like Classic99 and no limit?

There is no limit, but for development work in Js99'er you cannot use the 'in memory' drives DSK1-3 because there is no way to get your work out of the emulator again. You have to use the Google Drives GDR1-3, see this post. I don't know if anyone but me have tried these drives, so they come without any warranty.

Check out the new entry under Preloads/F18A specific/Power Strike demo, see js99er.net.

You can also try the demo on your own F18A enhanced console, but note that the bottom of the screen will look wrong because the demo is based on the not-yet-released F18A 1.6 firmware.

Edit: You need to enable F18A on the Options tab.

PWRSTRIKE.dsk

• Like 4

Check out the new entry under Preloads/F18A specific/Power Strike demo, see js99er.net.

You can also try the demo on your own F18A enhanced console, but note that the bottom of the screen will look wrong because the demo is based on the not-yet-released F18A 1.6 firmware.

I couldn't get it to work until I looked in the options and realized F18a was turned off. Very nice!

Edit: You need to enable F18A on the Options tab.

Holy crap on a popsicle, that looks effing sweet! Power Strike/Aleste is actually a very good demonstration of why the Master System's graphics were so much better than the NES'. Really underrated system. I really like your remix of the level graphics.

So, same question as before: how are you achieving some of these effects? The main scrolling is self explanatory (F18A scrolling registers), but the lower part seems to be done with sprites (when sprites move through it, sometimes they are before or behind the letters)?

Do you plan on turning this into a game? Are you remaking the original?

Damn, this is really motivating me to get of my lazy ass and finish at least one playable level of Alex Kidd... :)

Edited by TheMole

So, same question as before: how are you achieving some of these effects? The main scrolling is self explanatory (F18A scrolling registers), but the lower part seems to be done with sprites (when sprites move through it, sometimes they are before or behind the letters)?

Do you plan on turning this into a game? Are you remaking the original?

The next version of the F18A firmware will have a second tile layer with its own set of scroll registers. That's how the bottom panel is done. It is also hiding the two rows that are updated to feed the display with more scrolling background. If you run it on a real console with 1.5 firmware you won't see the bottom panel at all. The letters that appear below the sprites are just for testing emulation of tile priorities.

The demo is running in 30 rows 'mode' (Matthew says it's not a mode) - one of really great features of the F18A. I'm not using the GPU at all.

I don't know where I will go with this. I would rather make a game with my own graphics, but it takes so long time to draw. I will probably wait until Matthew releases the firmware update before I work more on this project.

The next version of the F18A firmware will have a second tile layer with its own set of scroll registers. That's how the bottom panel is done. It is also hiding the two rows that are updated to feed the display with more scrolling background. If you run it on a real console with 1.5 firmware you won't see the bottom panel at all. The letters that appear below the sprites are just for testing emulation of tile priorities.

The demo is running in 30 rows 'mode' (Matthew says it's not a mode) - one of really great features of the F18A. I'm not using the GPU at all.

I don't know where I will go with this. I would rather make a game with my own graphics, but it takes so long time to draw. I will probably wait until Matthew releases the firmware update before I work more on this project.

That makes sense, and cool that there will be a second layer! I assume this will allow for parallax scrolling as well then? Maybe I should be directing these questions at Matthew instead, but what does the VRAM layout look like with the two layers?

That makes sense, and cool that there will be a second layer! I assume this will allow for parallax scrolling as well then? Maybe I should be directing these questions at Matthew instead, but what does the VRAM layout look like with the two layers?

There is a second name table with an address controlled by a separate register. Both tables use the same patterns. For scrolling both tables can stretch over 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, or 2x2 virtual pages.

• 2 months later...

Added XB 2.7 Suite under Preloads/Apps. Also added a Screen shot button, but this just duplicates the functionality of the browser. What I would really like would be to add video capture, but I think that would be difficult in JavaScript.

attachicon.gifscreenshot.png

See js99er.net.

I must be missing something, it does not appear under apps for me?

is there any way to resize this so it doesn't take up more than the whole screen? Several versions ago it was smaller than the screen size, but now it is much larger.

Gazoo

"CTRL - " works is a few browsers like Google or Fire Fox to make things smaller, conversely "CTRL +" will make it larger.

This looks amazing. I'm itching to try it. I'm using a Galaxy S5 right now. It seems others are having success with android devices. But I cant get it to receive input from my virtual keyboard. I even downloaded a special keyboard that I can force to popup. I feel this is just a noob mistake. Any suggestions?

This looks amazing. I'm itching to try it. I'm using a Galaxy S5 right now. It seems others are having success with android devices. But I cant get it to receive input from my virtual keyboard. I even downloaded a special keyboard that I can force to popup. I feel this is just a noob mistake. Any suggestions?

The problem is that the virtual keyboard must generate keyboard events (keyup, keypress, keydown) to interact with js99er, but I don't think most virtual keyboards emulate the keyboard at that level.

On a mobile device you can get past a TI menu by tapping on the menu option character (e.g 1, 2, 3) - at least now that I have fixed it. :) You may need to zoom a bit in unless you have very small fingers. You can also use the joystick buttons in the toolbar for some very basic gameplay. On my Nexus tablet I can get into most cartridges and play a little at about half frame rate, but it's not a great user experience.