IGNORED

Js99'er

Asmusr

Hi Rasmus, I've tried the copy/paste on JS99er, two different computers, a linux, and chromebook, both paste but do not recognise where the ENTER key was pressed so it does it all in one line..... i do not know yet whether it does this with Windows machines. Regards, Joe.

OK, I have made some fixes now (version 5.2.1), is that better?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rasmus .... I have a feature request for JS99er ... would it be possible to make JS99er run in the background, for example, if we are pasting text into the emulator, we could open up another browser and read on here or go to youtube? As it is, it pauses whenever I try this.

Unfortunately this is not something I can control, see:

https://blog.pivotal.io/labs/labs/chrome-and-firefox-throttle-settimeout-setinterval-in-inactive-tabs

You can work around it by running js99er in its own browser window instead of in a tab.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a couple of questions about JS99'er:

1. The TI screen appears blurry or fuzzy most of the time. I'm using Chrome on Mac OS X, and no matter what Zoom level I'm using in Chrome, the TI screen seems blurry. I thought maybe it was because of hundreds of screen refreshes happening, but when I click "Pause" in js99, the screen still appears blurry. I did notice that if I start clicking around between "Log", "Disk Manager", "Keyboard", etc., every once and a while, I can, for a split second, get the fuzziness to go out and see a pixel-perfect TI output. I'm now wondering if the blurriness is a purposeful artifact to make the TI look like it did on the old televisions sets. If there is some trick to getting pixel-perfect output, please let me know.

2. I'm doing some assembly development with xas99, writing to .rpk files that I load into js99 for testing using the "Open Cartridge" button. That works great, but every time I make a small change and re-build the RPK, I have to press "Open Cartridge" button again and then select the RPK file again. Is there a way to simply "reload" the existing .RPK file from disk without having to re-select it from the browser?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a couple of questions about JS99'er:

1. The TI screen appears blurry or fuzzy most of the time. I'm using Chrome on Mac OS X, and no matter what Zoom level I'm using in Chrome, the TI screen seems blurry. I thought maybe it was because of hundreds of screen refreshes happening, but when I click "Pause" in js99, the screen still appears blurry. I did notice that if I start clicking around between "Log", "Disk Manager", "Keyboard", etc., every once and a while, I can, for a split second, get the fuzziness to go out and see a pixel-perfect TI output. I'm now wondering if the blurriness is a purposeful artifact to make the TI look like it did on the old televisions sets. If there is some trick to getting pixel-perfect output, please let me know.

2. I'm doing some assembly development with xas99, writing to .rpk files that I load into js99 for testing using the "Open Cartridge" button. That works great, but every time I make a small change and re-build the RPK, I have to press "Open Cartridge" button again and then select the RPK file again. Is there a way to simply "reload" the existing .RPK file from disk without having to re-select it from the browser?

Unfortunately there is no standard for telling a browser not to anti-alias (smooth) the image. It worked at one point in Firefox, but apparently not any longer. [edit] The TI image is drawn in the original resolution but then your browser is scaling it.

The second is a security issue. If a web page could tell your browser to load a file from your hard drive without asking you we would all be in big trouble... ;) That's why I made the Google Drives (GDR1-GDR3) but they won't work with carts.

Unfortunately there is no standard for telling a browser not to anti-alias (smooth) the image. It worked at one point in Firefox, but apparently not any longer. [edit] The TI image is drawn in the original resolution but then your browser is scaling it.

The second is a security issue. If a web page could tell your browser to load a file from your hard drive without asking you we would all be in big trouble... ;) That's why I made the Google Drives (GDR1-GDR3) but they won't work with carts.

Thanks for the quick reply. What you say on the second item certainly makes sense. Doh! I should have thought of that.

Hmm.. interesting re: the anti-aliasing. Too bad about that. Maybe someone knows how to hack the browser binary to force it to not do it?

Thanks for the quick reply. What you say on the second item certainly makes sense. Doh! I should have thought of that.

Hmm.. interesting re: the anti-aliasing. Too bad about that. Maybe someone knows how to hack the browser binary to force it to not do it?

Did a bit of research, and Chrome is now supported a pixelated css style "image-rendering: pixelated;". But it doesn't look well unless the canvas resolution is a multiple of the original resolution. Perhaps it could use this setting in high resolutions? I will think about it.

Did a bit of research, and Chrome is now supported a pixelated css style "image-rendering: pixelated;". But it doesn't look well unless the canvas resolution is a multiple of the original resolution. Perhaps it could use this setting in high resolutions? I will think about it.

I wrote a Google Chrome extension that toggles between "image-rendering: pixelated" and "image-rendering: auto" and the "pixelated" version appears to look much, much crisper.

Here is a video I put up that demonstrates it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uVeS6BMlpY

If you want to grab my experimental code for the extension: http://bgfax.com/files/chrome-unpixelate-0.0.zip

• Like 2

I am a bit stunned... I did not know about Js99'er! I have casually used TI99 emulators for many years off and on, but as Mac support has often been "spotty" I haven't always felt like keeping up with the changes and have never felt it was worth getting deep into them (it has been discouraging at times). Recently I have been hanging around here and trying again. I have MESS, and the Java version of V9T9 running on the Mac, and now ti99sim running on a Raspberry Pi 3 and all of them have good points, but I think it is OK to say that they are each "challenging" to get functional.

So, When I discovered this bumped thread tonight and went to check it out I was blown away! After playing with Js99'er for just a few minutes, I can see it becoming a favorite tool. It is just dead simple... I really love the interface. If I am honest... since I never had a PEB, disk drives, or even Extended Basic when I was a young man, there was a lot I did not know and stumbling around with command lines and confusing interfaces has made it a lot harder to try to fathom why stuff is was not working... I have learned a lot in the last couple of months, but I feel like if I had discovered Js99'er before starting with the old standard emulators that I already knew, I would have been "fast tracked"! The interface is very much the kind of thing I have wished for all these years. I assume there are some limitations with it being a javascript app but wow, it seems really full featured!

Thanks. I look forward to exploring this great tool.

• Like 2

I wrote a Google Chrome extension that toggles between "image-rendering: pixelated" and "image-rendering: auto" and the "pixelated" version appears to look much, much crisper.

Here is a video I put up that demonstrates it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uVeS6BMlpY

If you want to grab my experimental code for the extension: http://bgfax.com/files/chrome-unpixelate-0.0.zip

I have added it as an option. For some reason I couldn't "push" this update the normal way, so you have to reload the page manually. The version number in the log should be 5.3.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I've been doing this with the Stylish Chrome extension for a while. I use the following custom CSS, which gives me an exact multiple of the native canvas resolution, which leads to the crispest result using pixelated:

#canvas {
    width: 608px;
    image-rendering: pixelated;
}

Everytime I visit the fullscreen page, Stylish will automatically apply this CSS, so I only had to do it once.

Stylish can be found in the Chrome store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe

Of course, it's even better that we now have a toggle-option for this, but for those that want to set their own resolution this might still be helpful (the exact resolution needed to cover as much of the screen as possible will depend on your computer's native resolution, so while the 608px works on a 13" macbook pro, it will likely not work on anything else).

Really Great !

Installed and perfect ! :) Thank you !

I have added it as an option. For some reason I couldn't "push" this update the normal way, so you have to reload the page manually. The version number in the log should be 5.3.

Rats, not supported by safari, well I know I should be using something better anyway. Plus, I don't mind the anti-aliased look I get in safari, I usually find myself using crt shaders in emulators anyway cause I'm old-school like that. : )

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I noticed that the plato interpreter doesn't work in js99er with the disk images I have.. I didn't do a lot of troubleshooting.. any ideas?

Greg

I don't know how to run it. I have a lot of disk images but they all just have one data file called $$1.

Quite a few years ago I found that I could not run Plato disks on my system equipped with a Myarc floppy controller. I found this:

Search for 020C0F00 in the files - replace with 020C1000. It was found twice in two seperate files.

This worked fine for my Gram Kracker.

I also have a version of Plato that runs EA5 but you must have a SuperCart to use it. I made the above modifications to it as well and this is the version I use when I want to play with Playdoh.