IGNORED

Season 3/ Week 9 ~ The NEW HSC ~ River Raid

Vocelli

Not sure I understand the bonus rules completely.

I will consider '8' as the maximum of extra lives. ( 9 extra Lives will be counted as 8 extra lives)

Everyone will be ranked based on 'Extra Lives' and then LOWEST SCORE.

So a person who posts a pic of 8 extra lives and 142,000 will be ranked higher than 8 extra lives 198,000.

Also a person who posts a pic of 5 extra lives and 98,000 will be ranked higher than 5 extra lives and 136,000

So the first goal is to get to 8 extra lives..... then post a pic with the lowest score.

Got it! I hope.

Of note: In order to qualify for this bonus your pic MUST have at least 5 extra lives.

Do you want a picture when the plane respawns, or does in game count?

If in game counts, the lowest theoretical score is 50,000 to get to 8 life remaining.

If only respawn counts, the lowest theoretical score is 60,000 to get to 9 life, then die, and respawn with 8 planes in reserve.

River Raid - 359,710

sml_gallery_38581_1110_1617755.jpg

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 1

New score: 97,180.

Bonus: 5 lives at 20,820 points.

Taking a photo for the bonus is an absolute bitch when you have a camera which

- has a slow as hell autofocus

- switches itself off every two minutes

- you then have to restart and manually deactivate the auto-flashlight while you play.

The attached photo was the best I could do. Need a third hand. I think you can read all relevant numbers - though not without getting a headache from staring at it :-).

post-34656-0-15883700-1398686122_thumb.jpg

post-34656-0-89774400-1398686133_thumb.jpg

Do you want a picture when the plane respawns, or does in game count?

If in game counts, the lowest theoretical score is 50,000 to get to 8 life remaining.
If only respawn counts, the lowest theoretical score is 60,000 to get to 9 life, then die, and respawn with 8 planes in reserve.

YES. Since it is impossible for Hardware users to take a pic while flying (dangerous too!) consider 60,000 is the lowest score possible with 8 lives.

I actually crashed trying to take my pic and ended up my pic taken right after my crash.

Thanks!

Edited by Vocelli

Jblenke played River Raid II or III. :)

River Raid III was a name of a clone (pirate) cartridge.

I don't know what the real name is... It changed background colour and had no canyon.

Who knows the original game upon this is based?

River Raid III (Supergame).bin

--edit--

I did some quick research and it seems to be an original game (or hacked). :)

So it is the unathorized, unlicensed River Raid III. :-D

It's probably from Taiwan. My cousin had this River Raid III.

--edit 2 ;)

After more research I found a game called Bermuda (which is shown in the bin I uploaded :dunce:).

• Like 1

8 planes, 60,000 points

HSC - 554,400

I have to say that playing this thing on almost real hardware is much better than emulated. The Flashback 2's controller is pretty close to the real thing, and it is much easier to make the split second dodges using it than a keyboard. Although I have been having issues with one joystick. It seems to stick in the up/down position, even when the joystick has returned to neutral.

sml_gallery_38581_1110_189059.jpgsml_gallery_38581_1110_16662.jpg

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 1

Any reason why the Bonus Lives scoring starts at 5 planes? This bonus is essentially how long can you stay alive without dying. (with a push your luck aspect)

2 Planes, 0 points minimum (too easy)

3 Planes, 10k points minimum (could start here)

4 Planes, 20k

5 Planes, 30k

6 Planes, 40k

7 Planes, 50k

8 Planes, 60k

@karpkoenig, I think with Vocelli's clarification your pic doesn't count. You need to be respawning, so no need to fiddle with your camera so much. (This also prevents emu players from having an advantage)

- you then have to restart and manually deactivate the auto-flashlight while you play.

The attached photo was the best I could do. Need a third hand. I think you can read all relevant numbers - though not without getting a headache from staring at it :-).

Edited by CapitanClassic

nice job Capitan!

the 5 lives -- I would think that is to make it a challenge. getting 4 lives on there is only kind of tough. 3 is actually pretty easy I think. 5 really shows you're rockin' it

... I have a slight improvement: 39200

--edit--

I did some quick research and it seems to be an original game (or hacked). :)

So it is the unathorized, unlicensed River Raid III. :-D

yeah that's it -- a hack of River Raid. from my recent research I think it was put out in Germany & Brazil but I'm kind of new to this. someone did a good job, it's a good game. but it is different enough, i don't think it can count in this contest.

it's also known as "Bermuda," "The Bermuda," and "Ground Zero." probably other stuff too. I've heard of "Super River Raid" for the 2600 which supposedly is a hack of River Raid & might be this same one! this kind of thing makes collecting for the 2600 really fun and expansive!

edit: oh yeah, it's also called "River Raid." lol.

Edited by S.BAZ

New score: 97,180.

Bonus: 5 lives at 20,820 points.

If you have 7800 you can pause it :-D

5 Planes, 30k

So basically we have to survive at least till 30,000 points, then die, then take a picture, correct?

@karpkoenig, I think with Vocelli's clarification your pic doesn't count. You need to be respawning, so no need to fiddle with your camera so much.

I think I'm not going to bother with the bonus under these circumstances anyway. I just tried. It's way too hard for me to stay alive till 30k. Best effort I had ended with a crash at 22k or so. Too many attempts needed for a lousy bonus point.

got up to 5 lives for the 1st time, but not 6 so I couldn't die & have 5. almost there though!! I feel like I should have done much better, I suddenly lost 3 lives in a row at the same spot! then barely made it to a fuel tank and slammed into the bank just before getting another 1-up. rats.

I agree the control is squirrelly with emulation, looking forward to getting home & playing w/joystick

post-34560-0-08894500-1398887616_thumb.png

Any reason why the Bonus Lives scoring starts at 5 planes? This bonus is essentially how long can you stay alive without dying. (with a push your luck aspect)

2 Planes, 0 points minimum (too easy)

3 Planes, 10k points minimum (could start here)

4 Planes, 20k

5 Planes, 30k

6 Planes, 40k

7 Planes, 50k

8 Planes, 60k

@Vocelli, you might want to edit the OP to make it very clear that only pictures of your plane respawning in-between the road count. We have had two submissions that missed your clarification to my question. (You might also note the reasoning behind it, I.e. much easier to take a screenshot in an emulator in-game and have a score up to 10k points less.)

Additionally, since the game starts at 3 lives (2 planes remain if you crash with 0 points) and maxes out at 9 planes, the max score is 8 planes at 60k points. Some HSC members have requested a lower bonus planes in reserve than 5. Any plans on lowering this to 3/4 planes in reserve so more HSC members can compete?

Arrgh, these crappy Flashback 2+ controllers. Going to need to switch to a genesis controller or one of my old Kraft controllers.

Edited by CapitanClassic

This game has me feeling rather philosophical. I know all the techniques for surviving. I know to shoot everything high on the screen, where possible. I know the angles. I know when to speed up and slow down. I know the feeling of flying at full speed to get to the next fuel, because fuel becomes rare at higher levels. I know that flying to the right of the forks is generally more advantageous. I know that getting to the next bridge alive is better than trying to shoot everything. I know the exhilaration of finishing the game with the exclamation points at a million. And I know that it all happened three decades ago.

I think it's like a retired major league pitcher who just can't throw that 100 mph fastball like he did in college. My aching wrist frustrates me, but the memories make me smile. And life goes on. And it's all good. :)

post-26187-0-39509700-1398986944_thumb.jpg

• Like 4