IGNORED

SIO device for WiFi Era

576XE

I'm hardly connected to TV. :mad:

My Ancor is ATARIbox and the length of S-Video cable.

I can't move my PC's basement near to TV at all.

So I need more practical solution to my problem.

I see this decision is in using WiFi connection, a fortiori, all software part can be executed on PC and all requests can be generated on ATARI.

Is there some WiFi device anyway suitable for this purpose?

I mean self-service device for making connection and giving tunnel to PC through WiFi.

Tunnel to SIO of Course.

I know that very creative persons collected strictly here!!!

And, don't shot Pianoist of course...

If I understand you correctly, you need two separate items.

The first item you need is a Lantronix UDS-10 for the SIO to Ethernet capability.

sml_gallery_35324_1102_262435.jpgsml_gallery_35324_1102_500642.jpgsml_gallery_35324_1102_493948.jpg

The second item you need is WiFi Bridge. (Ethernet to WiFi) This item is used for cameras, XBoxes and even classic computers if hooked up to the Lantronix.

$(KGrHqVHJBMFGwUuYIzIBRyPNwkPcw~~60_57.J

Both items are easily available on eBay.

BTW - With this arrangement the PC is not necessary. This will make it a straight shot from the device to the WiFi router.

Good Luck! :)

Really I need not Ethernet on Atari's side.

It's needed for Contiki IMHO.

I need Virtual Com Port (VCP) i.e. Com2WiFi device. (More preferable of cource SIO2WiFi ;) )

With conjunction with SIO2PC I only need to install win driver for VCP on PC as PC is truly connected to Ethernet.

As SIO2PC gives ATARI an RS232 port so with the help of VCP we can access APE or AspeQt.

Another reason for this is the ability (in theory) of runing AspeQt on Linux based WiFi routers.

Thus it can be never turning off program and any time I Power up my beloved ATARI I can use all Bells and Whistles. :-D

I really beleive that someone tried this anyway.

Best wishes, Friends.

No need for schematics (I don't have one) just buy a Adafruit Bluefruit EZ-Link BT module, wire it up for the SIO connector, and by changing the SIO timing from 16ms to a higher value you can make it work with AspeQt in no handshake mode. But no handshake mode means there is a possibility for errors, so I wouldn't rely on that for day to day operation, only to experiment. The module exposes DSR pin to the host (most other BT modules don't) but at 100ms it is basically too slow to be of any use.

Here's a video

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 4

Not for Bluetooth.

We are already have this devices ready for SIO<->VCP interconnections! Is'nt it?

None as far as I know, the video above only shows my experimentation with a certain Bluetooth module but I've never heard of a bluetooth based SIO2PC solution that made into production.

Modern wifi satisfies all technical requirements for 100 meters (and above).

I really don't think about this...

This device say that 125000 is not a limit. What's about Atari?

I only need NOT with BlueTooth, because in this case I need another one dongle...

JY-MCU looks like a interesting rs232-bluetooth module:

http://www.dx.com/p/jy-mcu-arduino-bluetooth-wireless-serial-port-module-104299#.U2M9qGqSxfA

Should be easy to assemble and speed is specified at up to 160kbps at max 10m.

They market these modules as a "drop-in replacement for serial cable", this is a grossly exaggerated statement. Serial ports have hardware handshaking lines, these modules don't, so how can they be drop-in replacements for serial cables. Any software that depends on hardware handshaking will not work with any of these modules.

• Like 2

I read specifications for the device I referred earlier.

I afraid that these China boys forgot that TTL UART and RS232 isn't the same thing.

I think that we need TTL UART for simple connection with SIO.

They market these modules as a "drop-in replacement for serial cable", this is a grossly exaggerated statement. Serial ports have hardware handshaking lines, these modules don't, so how can they be drop-in replacements for serial cables. Any software that depends on hardware handshaking will not work with any of these modules.

You are right... I didn't notice that.

Ok. What about these:

1. http://www.dx.com/p/e05-mle132a-nrf24le1-wireless-transmission-module-blue-black-256822#.U2ST1HV4HuA

2. http://www.dx.com/p/stc15l204-wireless-development-board-nrf24l01-wireless-serial-module-black-217635#.U2STx3V4HuA

Point is: there are bunch of these cheap wireless+mcu boards available. Wireless does its job, micro-controller does all the serial port control (including handshaking, buffering, error correction etc...).

Unfortunately it's far, far away from plug and play. Power supply, connectors, cables, case, antenna... Add to that programming of the mcu (maybe some of these come with uart software built in, but I'm not sure about that).

And then - you need two of those. One could be maybe made for 15-20 Eur (work not included).

Would you pay 30-40 Eur just to be able to play in living room ?

Isn't some kind of SD card solution better in that case ?

ps. Would be uber-cool to show wireless loading on Atari to friends though :)

I'm sorry popmilo

I pay near 50 USD for every postage to RF (Not Radio Frequency of course!) every time I want to bye something less then 5lbs.

Really I found this (earlier pointed) device here in Moscow and I think it's The case.

But please ALL check the parameters.

Is it TTL or not?

(I can't find any FT232RLE converter here. I don't want bye it from China. Postage is about 75 USD.)

Edited by 130XE
  • Like 1

You are right, HLK-RMO4 Startkit does work exactly how you need it to :)

Nice find. You can even install openWRT and have even more fun with it.

About voltages... Kit version (with DB9 and ethernet connectors) has standard +-12v serial port. It should work well with Sio2PC interface. Simple module version (with no connectors) has 3.3V signal... Don't know what would happen if connected to sio2pc...

Are you sure about shipping to RF from China ? It says here free shipping to RF:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wifi-module-RS232-serial-to-Ehernet-HLK-RMO4-startkit-free-shipping/1444943150.html

ps. Packages from DX.com, Aliexpress and such delivered to Serbia are also marked as "free shipping", but I still have to pay 3-5 euros of some kind of Tax+postage+fees every time, because our customs officers are behaving as they wish... No one can touch them... For now :)

I must pay for currency exchange even if there is a free postage because of ...

And I don't have some HW knowledges enough to be sertain.

Are you said that it's Not TTL UART(or SIO) at all, but simple RS232?

Then I need to bye 'TTL to Serial' converter (Or SIO2PC) and it's so silly...

Anyway, THANK YOU! BRA!

Are you said that it's Not TTL UART(or SIO) at all, but simple RS232?

Then I need to bye 'TTL to Serial' converter (Or SIO2PC) and it's so silly...

Yeah it looks like it...

I checked again...

Com port on adapter is 12v (do not connect it to A8 directly! :)).

TX,RX pins on wifi module are 3.3v (won't be enough to work with Atari).

You have to buy SIO2PC interface or make one yourself...

You are right... I didn't notice that.

Ok. What about these:

1. http://www.dx.com/p/e05-mle132a-nrf24le1-wireless-transmission-module-blue-black-256822#.U2ST1HV4HuA

2. http://www.dx.com/p/stc15l204-wireless-development-board-nrf24l01-wireless-serial-module-black-217635#.U2STx3V4HuA

Point is: there are bunch of these cheap wireless+mcu boards available. Wireless does its job, micro-controller does all the serial port control (including handshaking, buffering, error correction etc...).

Unfortunately it's far, far away from plug and play. Power supply, connectors, cables, case, antenna... Add to that programming of the mcu (maybe some of these come with uart software built in, but I'm not sure about that).

And then - you need two of those. One could be maybe made for 15-20 Eur (work not included).

Would you pay 30-40 Eur just to be able to play in living room ?

Isn't some kind of SD card solution better in that case ?

ps. Would be uber-cool to show wireless loading on Atari to friends though :)

These are not Bluetooth and I am not really familiar with those wireless modules to comment effectively, but from what I've seen and from what you already said about these development modules, there is a lot of hardware and software design involved. Can it be done? I am pretty sure it can, but who has the time and willingness to develop all that, what I was basically looking for was a wireless module (like a BT module) which already provides the server end functionality (like VCP on the PC) so I can simply use AspeQt without modifications. The closest module to date, to let me achieve that objective, was Adafruit Ez-Link, unfortunately it's DSR handshake line isn't high speed and it only works with certain tweaks to the Atari OS and only at 19200 bps.

If I have some spare time and the desire to further explore that wireless idea in the future I may go back to it again but who knows when :)

Edited by atari8warez

"HLK-RMO4 Startkit" + SIO2PC combo should work "out of the box".

You only need to setup wireless connection between two startkit modules and that can be done using web interface (like an ordinary wifi router).

I guess we won't know until someone buys those and tries them out.

I'm counting on 130XE for that answer :)

I see the only problem here 3V and 5V

I know that SIO is 5V signals

I know that this device is 3V

What to do?

Is there any device changing signal voltages?

Yes it's amplifiers.

And what?

I'm not an engineer at all, by the way.

I know that if the signal is 5V The beast MUST eat 5V - no more.

But this signals i LOVE are 3.3V, may be 3 only.

I never give them to kill my little baby!