IGNORED

New Atari 8-bit game in production by RPC Games!

rpc_games

@gunstar: I understand that you would like to see me responding the way you think about it, but I have to disappoint you: you have unfortunately no influence on what I think or write. I have obviously another opinion; and let me explain it again and a bit more detailed:

The reason I wrote that rather skeptical post is that I think that rpc_games 'invades' here with lots of trumpets and fanfare, claiming that they will come with a game that pushes atari 8bit to their max. and even announces their finally released website in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224904-finally-our-website-is-up-wwwrpcgamescomau/

And the only thing I saw on that website was a rpc_games logo and a paypal logo.

Since other serious coders here with a good reputation and 'curriculum vitae' have the habit of introducing games in a lot more modest way, and they also start with showing examples of what they have so far, and rpc_games started to tell what the final price would be, and the fact that they concentrated on putting a paypal logo as a first step on their websites, I decided to post a skeptical message.

If you are blowing high tower (is that a real English saying?) you can expect a little headwind. I think that is a good thing.

If the game is there and indeed meet the expectations they created in advance, I will the first one to write here that I was wrong and offer my apologies about my attitude. But for now, I hope for you that I'm absolutely wrong.

So your a half-empty person instead of half-full...I'm sorry...for you.

• Like 1

So your a half-empty person instead of half-full...I'm sorry...for you.

This is regular attitude at the Jag forums :) Mildly shocked to see it here. It's not like they are forcing anybody to buy the game. I don't get the hate.

• Like 2

There is no hate at all. There is a big difference between critical/skeptical and hate.

If you knew me a little (and I think that is not so difficult since I post a lot here one AA) you would know that I don't hide my opinion ever.

Most of the times it is very positive and I am always contributing to every new project.

I think that a critical (or negative as some people experience that apparently ) feedback is valuable too. Try to learn from all big started and announced game-development here on AA which never saw day of light till now.

That some people here explain my critical/skeptical attitude as a hate or start to do some psychological analysis is the thing that mildly shock me Stephen. Those people obviously do not agree with a critical attitude?

• Like 1

I'm ultra supportive of our wonderful devs but I have to agree with the sceptical slant by Prowizard, had said company announced a game, maybe added a screen shot of a alpha version and asked if people wanted it then I would have said "Woohoo" and yes please but instead of that there's been a pile of posts from this company going on about a game that to us does not exist in any shape or form.

And then there is the web site with a paypal logo, no game bar a name, no screens, a video of a 256 palette which by the speed looks likes its in basic but it could be very old so I'll pass on that. If you wanted to create the idea you were after money then this would be the way to go, what would be the next step, a pre order?

If said company wants to impress then get a demo out and then we can go from there, so far we have heard how talented they are, how they will push the boundaries of the machine and how experienced but no pics of anything tangible..

I'm hoping they read this and understand why some might be sceptical, the way its been marketed is way wrong..

Had it been a known dev then there's a difference, there's an established trust but so far they have talked the talk but revealed nothing bar a site with a payment system, surely they understand that people may think it looks odd.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

@McLaininc: please be patient, we are working on it. You can believe what you like and say what you like.

Our website is still under construction. Do you think we can get everything working overnight? Man, what is wrong with you people !

Centron 3D is in the works and you will have to wait until I decide to upload a screen shot. I'm working on the 256 colour mode at the moment.

If you don't appreciate what we are doing for the Atari 8-bits then please don't buy it. It's as simple as that.

Mate, no appreciation ! Unbelievable !

And our website is not finished yet, so I don't know why your winging about that !

and with the 256 colour Demo, read a couple of the last posts before you mouth off about it.

Peter

Manager

RPC Games (Australia)

@rpc_games

There is nothing wrong. In your first post you write that all kind of feedback is welcome, but I understand now that you did not mean that.

I simply do not understand why you announce a website where nothing is visible BUT a paypal logo. I simply do not understand that. Can you imagine that that creates the impression that the first thing you think of is money. When you introduced the game, the first thing you wrote about it is what it will cost to purchase.

That is what my skepsis is about. You can get angry now, but I simply gave my point of view about THAT.

I never wrote that I feel forced to buy the game. I never wrote that I feel forced to like the game in advance. I am just expressing my feeling about your big introduction and the moves you made on that.

• Like 1

@RPC..

Well that was quite a rant, I offered you POSITIVE feedback, I rightly said that the website should really have at least had a screen shot, I said that it was the way it looked, both were meant to get you to understand that the marketing was badly chosen.

The website should have gone live when you had something to show..FACT..Basic retail practice.

If anyone has been arrogant its yourself, you have made vast claims with nothing to show for it but a PRICE and a name, I didn't do that, you did...

I like a person with a positive going to do something great attitude but if you don't realise that people will want to see something about the game other than what you want to charge and a name then you have misjudged the customers you want.

I wish you well on the game and I hope to see something about it soon, and you know what, if its good I will buy it but spouting off like I've stolen your toys isn't going to help.

You came here and announced it in big fashion yet you are having a hissy fit because someone asked to see what it looks like, at least some details and some how are trying to say its MY FAULT?

Get real mate....I still wish you well but see it from both sides..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

We can deduce only good things from this: if he was in the middle of the project in February 2012, and let's say it takes another six months to complete, then that's almost six years of coding in total, which means the finished product is guaranteed to be totally mind-blowing. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 4

I don't see why some people are critical of the guy for posting a price. He's trying to gage interest in a new game and the cost is an important factor. If he hadn't given a cost, that's the next thing people would be asking about. Cost is always a part of the discussion when kicking off projects in the business world. Why shouldn't it be here?

• Like 5

Mate, no appreciation ! Unbelievable !

Maybe, but I think what can be taken away from this thread is that there is a fair amount of interest here in new A8 software, and it's pretty much a given that we all have at least 10AUD in our Atari budgets. Lacking a disk drive in my setup (SD only), I'm much more interested in a digital download, but would probably buy a floppy version anyway for any included materials and to feed the collector in me.

I will say that I have actually passed on some commercial homebrew that I thought looked really good not too long ago. The big issue was that the site offering it didn't feature online ordering, followed by it being only in cart format, which I don't care much for. Lastly, it was considerably more expensive, but the price was fair and I'd have paid it if it wouldn't have been such a pain to both obtain and use.

As for mentioning price, I'm all for it. There are lots of 'interest' threads that talk about cool stuff but don't even give a price range. Without it I can't really gauge my interest. But $10? I can say I'm broadly interested in that. A screenshot or description would say for sure, though.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

There is no hate at all. There is a big difference between critical/skeptical and hate.

If you knew me a little (and I think that is not so difficult since I post a lot here one AA) you would know that I don't hide my opinion ever.

Most of the times it is very positive and I am always contributing to every new project.

I think that a critical (or negative as some people experience that apparently ) feedback is valuable too. Try to learn from all big started and announced game-development here on AA which never saw day of light till now.

That some people here explain my critical/skeptical attitude as a hate or start to do some psychological analysis is the thing that mildly shock me Stephen. Those people obviously do not agree with a critical attitude?

Not pointing directly at you, and certainly not psycho-analyzing anything :) Just a bit surprised to see some of the replies here (in general), they were a bit more harsh than usual is all. Certainly nothing wrong with skepticism. I would have been the same way if they were taking pre-orders, but this was a simple matter of gauging interest (IMHO). That's all.

• Like 4

@kjmann

I have read the three posts you was linking to, and I honestly haven't seen any wrong word from mclaneinc in those posts. I seriously think you have crossed a line there.

I saw a concerned dad, loving his child, and being frustrated about hear health, and he expressed that.

Not good.

• Like 1