IGNORED

The "gaming's first" thread

• 3 years later...

Intellivision (1979) was first with tiled background graphics and hardware scrolling.

Intellivision (1979) was first with a thumb-pad directional control.

Intellivision was first to have major league sports licenses in 1980.

Intellivisions was first to have celebrity endorsement in 1980. Atari also had Pele Soccer in 1980. Actually I thing some Pong systems might have been earlier with celebrity endorsements.

Intellivision Utopia (1982) was the first realtime strategy videogame.

Intellivision World Series Baseball (1983) was the first sports game to use a virtual 3D playfield, first to be based on statistical game-play, first to use historical player statistics, first to have managerial functions, first to have play-by-play speech.

Cool thread. But I believe the Atari VCS beat the Xband to the punch by about 12/13 years with the Gameline.

Intellivision PlayCable (1981) was first with downloadable games.

Magnavox Odyssey2, the first console with an add on voice module

The Intellivoice is listed as having a release date of 1982 June 29. When exactly was the Voice for Odyssey2 released?

Some claim Intellivision Baseball released in 1980 (programmed in 1978) is the first video game with speech.

Edited by mr_me

Atari Lynx was probably the first (and only) ambidextrous handheld.

Sony was the first console to have dual analog controller if I recall correctly. It was also probably the first to reach 100 million sales, but I don't know if the Game Boy reached that milestone first.

The Master System is the longest running console of all time if you count Brazil.

The Xbox was the first with a built-in hard disk drive.

First home console human female main character, Billie Sue (1982):

normal_Wabbit.jpg

Well there was a female choice with Magnavox Odyssey's Simon Says (1972) or Origin's Akalabeth World of Doom (1979), but they were selectable.

And Ms Pac-Man and Lady Bug in arcades (both 1981).

Edited by high voltage

Intellivisions was first to have celebrity endorsement in 1980. Atari also had Pele Soccer in 1980.

Atari had Don Knotts and Pete Rose in '78 or '79.

Although the exact year is unclear, Fairchild briefly procured Milton Berle for Channel F ads just before they cashed out to Zircon and got out of the business (which happened in 1979).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Atari Lynx was probably the first (and only) ambidextrous handheld.

Sony was the first console to have dual analog controller if I recall correctly. It was also probably the first to reach 100 million sales, but I don't know if the Game Boy reached that milestone first.

The Master System is the longest running console of all time if you count Brazil.

The Xbox was the first with a built-in hard disk drive.

Time between first and last official releases of their original run is roughly 13 years for Mark III/SMS, Neo Geo AES and PS2.

But the SMS isn't the same deal and has its time period artificially stretched by one market launching 4 years late.

Of course, the AES was propped up all along by its entire library being games made primarily for a successful arcade format.

A more interesting measure would be a single region original run, which in Japan the PS2 kept a steady stream of releases for the full 13.5 years.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

First console with built-in WiFi: PS3, with a release November 11, 2006. It beat out the Wii by just 8 days. The Xbox 360 was released earlier (November 22, 2005), but the original model required you to buy a separate adapter.

First console with built-in WiFi: PS3, with a release November 11, 2006. It beat out the Wii by just 8 days. The Xbox 360 was released earlier (November 22, 2005), but the original model required you to buy a separate adapter.

Wait it has built in wifi... and here I was running an ethernet cable over the floor for it lol

The first commercially sold VR headset with motion detection was the Forte VFX1, as early as 1995 :

1200px-Forte_VFX1_Headgear.jpg

The gear is able to detect head movement on the 3 axis; separate (at first? infos are very sketchy) controllers called Cyberpucks were able to simulate a mouse and also had 2 axis movement detection.

(make sense as the most common 3D games of the era would be Doom-likes)

cyberpuck1.jpg

package_forward.jpg

The H.E.A.D.G.E.A.R. was sold at least between 1995 and 1997 in the US; it was probably sold in Europe since I've spotted a few ads for used ones. Retail price is noted as either $995 or $695; most likely it was the launch price and the later-in-life price. Many sites says that it was superceded by another headset in 2000, but it doesn't necesserely mean it was sold until the year 2000. Also, informations on the second headset are even more scarce, making it appears as either a commercial failure or it never went over being sold in a few test markets.

Still, it was the first available headset that provided movement detection.

If you plan to get one, be very careful; the VFX1 require a specific ISA board, that process the video display :

Forte_VFX1_VIP_Interface_Board.jpg

Without it, the headset is just a bulky curiosity item. And given it's an internal board, most of them dissapeared with the computer they were installed in...

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 3

That's news to me ...

reading about it here makes it look like it wasn't part of a lawsuit, but they kinda expected one

That was an arcade game I've never seen.

According to The Dot Eaters there was no lawsuit: http://thedoteaters.com/?bitstory=bitstory-article-2/shark-jaws-2

The Atari History Museum doesn't mention anything either: http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/arcade/arcade75.html

No idea how I got the idea Universal forced them to take it off the market; maybe Wikipedia used to say something like that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacman000 said:

Wasn't the Wonderswan ambidextrous too?

No- while the Wonderswan allowed for rotating the handheld to a vertical position like the Lynx, its button layout meant it couldn't be properly ambidextrous (and I'm not aware of any games supporting such a feature.)

The Lynx's ambidextrous nature was a hardware feature, I'm not aware of anything else that ever did that.

• Like 1