IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I am certainly excited about this console coming out....it's just another way to further "archive" my favorite system, for future generations. As well as playing the games on a reliable, stable environment.

I for one, hope they keep the 12 second intro before each game, to fully have the Colecovision experience.

I don't know if it is possible, or in their plans, but I think a "High Game Score" save feature would be nice to include, as well as an in game "save" feature.

I was just about to ask about the inclusion of some original homebrews..maybe some homebrewers here know the answer, but aren't at liberty to say anything just yet? :ponder:

I am certainly excited about this console coming out....it's just another way to further "archive" my favorite system, for future generations. As well as playing the games on a reliable, stable environment.

I for one, hope they keep the 12 second intro before each game, to fully have the Colecovision experience.

I don't know if it is possible, or in their plans, but I think a "High Game Score" save feature would be nice to include, as well as an in game "save" feature.

I was just about to ask about the inclusion of some original homebrews..maybe some homebrewers here know the answer, but aren't at liberty to say anything just yet? :ponder:

As far as I know there will be no special features like save states or anything. Also, no details, but AtGames pushes for homebrews on all of their products to round out the game lists. Naturally, those have to be limited to original creations and not clones of existing games that might have license issues.

• Like 1

Hopefully someone will figure out how to add more games.

The only way i see that happening is if the CV Flashback sells well enough to warrant an updated version in the future that contains an SD Card slot so that the end-user can add their own roms as they see fit. That possibility would probably be a couple years in the future, so the best solution will still be a real CV with AtariMax SD Card MultiCart. Better yet, make that a Yurkie modded CV with all the bells and whistles that he can provide.

The Coleco and Intellivision models look absolutely astonishing! How many overlays are included?

While I really think the SD interface would have helped this sell even better, like the INTV and 2600 models, I really can't see the license holders allowing that if they didn't already.

Take that with a grain of salt. The packaging shown is not the final (and in fact the ColecoVision one is the most far off from what the final will be; I've seen a very different package not too long ago) and they're just supposed to be generic images to fill the background. Take a look at the Intellivision Flashback box for an idea of what I mean.

I wonder IF their Atari Flashback 5 will include Turbo for the 2600, since AtGames already had an unreleased prototype in Tempest...

http://atariprotos.com/2600/software/turbo/turbo.htm

Edited by TrekkiELO

While I really think the SD interface would have helped this sell even better, like the INTV and 2600 models, I really can't see the license holders allowing that if they didn't already.

Why should it matter what the licensee holders of games such as Nintendo think? If AtGames wants to one day include an SD Interface, they have every right to do so, it's there product and they can include any extra hardware options they want. It's not going to change Nintendo's stance to not allow their games to be included with or without the SD Interface. It's also out of AtGames hands how the end-users decide to use it and for that matter if someone with the ability decides to mod the Flashback.

If the likes of Nintendo could really stop anything, we wouldn't be able to mod their systems like the Wii and 3DS to play emulators and copied games and the roms for all their systems wouldn't be so easily attained all over the web.

• Like 2

To follow up... If AtGames include an SD Interface, they would be guaranteed to sell a lot more CV Flashbacks and then they wouldn't have to spend anymore money to license games. Make the hardware, sell the hardware, turn a profit and make the end-user happy as we will be able to supply our own games to play on the unit. I own them all already as do most around these forums, so it's not an issue of piracy.

Nice, but i clearly expect the quality to be cheap, cheap plastic, controllers etc. If it came to europe maybe I would pick one.

By the way when the C64 DTV came out it was hacked to work with diskdrives :) http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/cip/article/item/hacking_the_dtv_1/en

But not sure it can be done with the Colecovision flashback.

Hooked up to a lcd tv would look a lot closer than the old crts in my opinion . At the end of the 80's someone looked into producing a portable vectrex system with a vector screen. That would be awesome.

I have the Vectrex app on my retina LCD screen iPad 3, and it is still missing "it."

"It" being hard to define. Perhaps it is the persistence of real vectors, or the brightness, or lack of fine adjustments?

Dont get me wrong, it is quite good -- even down to the slight buzz.

I don't think it is anything that can't eventually be done in modern hardware and software.

I don't think this Vectrex app is pushing the graphics card of the iPad because it has to run well on older iPads, that's my theory.

Nice, but i clearly expect the quality to be cheap, cheap plastic, controllers etc. If it came to europe maybe I would pick one.

By the way when the C64 DTV came out it was hacked to work with diskdrives :) http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/cip/article/item/hacking_the_dtv_1/en

But not sure it can be done with the Colecovision flashback.

There's really no basis for that based on the quality of their Atari Flashback 3 and beyond joysticks and paddles. Those meet or exceed the quality of the originals. Same thing with the Genesis controllers. I expect a similar standard to be met on the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks.

And no, again, none of the Flashbacks from AtGames are hackable in that way. There's nothing on the motherboard to tap into and it's a closed processing/software system.

• Like 1

And no, again, none of the Flashbacks from AtGames are hackable in that way. There's nothing on the motherboard to tap into and it's a closed processing/software system.

only small chance if there is a chip hold the game roms, can be "emulated" by something else, but not easy need to add extra electronic. If the game roms are stored inside a single chip, together with the hardware emulation itself, there are no chance :(

AtGames is about to release the Atari Flashback 5, so a ColecoVision Flashback 2 is always a possibility, and there's always hope for a cartridge port in the future. One thing's for sure, at least a few people are going to take this CV Flashback apart right after buying it, just to see what it looks like on the inside, and I'm looking forward to seeing their reports. For one thing, I'd like to know if it uses an actual Z80 CPU, or some kind of "emulated equivalent".

I would not be surprised if someone figures out how to add/hack a flash card to the system to play additional ROMS.

Why should it matter what the licensee holders of games such as Nintendo think? If AtGames wants to one day include an SD Interface, they have every right to do so, it's there product and they can include any extra hardware options they want. It's not going to change Nintendo's stance to not allow their games to be included with or without the SD Interface. It's also out of AtGames hands how the end-users decide to use it and for that matter if someone with the ability decides to mod the Flashback.

If the likes of Nintendo could really stop anything, we wouldn't be able to mod their systems like the Wii and 3DS to play emulators and copied games and the roms for all their systems wouldn't be so easily attained all over the web.

I didn't mean the game licenses, I meant the console license. i.e. AtGames cannot sell a Colecovision Flashback with a cart slot and/or SD slot if the Coleco rights holder won't let them. Given that they continue to sell the Atari Flashback sans SD card, I have to assume that sales are not the only factor.

To follow up... If AtGames include an SD Interface, they would be guaranteed to sell a lot more CV Flashbacks and then they wouldn't have to spend anymore money to license games. Make the hardware, sell the hardware, turn a profit and make the end-user happy as we will be able to supply our own games to play on the unit. I own them all already as do most around these forums, so it's not an issue of piracy.

Sure but then they couldn't advertise the games included on the packaging. Plus most buyers have likely never heard of a game rom, nor how to get them or load them. The only one At Games has offered is the Genesis, and that requires that oddball Firecore Passport adapter.

Sure but then they couldn't advertise the games included on the packaging. Plus most buyers have likely never heard of a game rom, nor how to get them or load them. The only one At Games has offered is the Genesis, and that requires that oddball Firecore Passport adapter.

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Their handheld Genesis-based products use SD cards without issue. Just stick a ROM on there and load it from the built-in menu option. They've just never had both a cartridge slot and SD card slot in one unit. With the handheld, it's a combination of the built-in games and then whatever you want to add from your own SD card.

I didn't mean the game licenses, I meant the console license. i.e. AtGames cannot sell a Colecovision Flashback with a cart slot and/or SD slot if the Coleco rights holder won't let them. Given that they continue to sell the Atari Flashback sans SD card, I have to assume that sales are not the only factor.

Gotcha. The Coleco license holders is a completely different ballgame and they would most assuredly take issue with an SD Interface... which is a sad, but true reality.

So I have to wait till Oct 2014 for this bad boy to be releast? and only $40 for 60 games, and two new controlers that work on my 1982 Coleco Vision? Where do I send the money? (Mabey pick up two Classic Consoles for that price with working Controlers).

Well, the Flashback box shows the box images of Venture, Pepper II, Zaxxon, Space Panic and Jumpman Junior, so that's the beginning of a clue. The overlays pictured on the box indicate that Ken Uston Blackjack/Poker, Dam Busters, Fortune Builder and War Room will be included.

At the very least, I expect we'll get Carnival, Congo Bongo, Cosmic Avenger, Gorf, Space Fury, Buck Rogers, Bump 'n Jump, Burgertime, Cabbage Patch Kids, Evolution, Mr Do!, The Heist, Gateway to Apshai, Miner 2049er, Mouse Trap, Omega Race, Roc'n Rope, Tapper, Sewer Sam, Spy Hunter, Time Pilot and Up 'n Down. Perhaps the Spectravideo, Sunrise, Xonox and Atarisoft titles too. I do hope at least some of the Parker Bros games make it in there...

jumpman junior! woohoo!

I wonder why, or if its true, that CV gets alot of licensed games and intv maybe no? Burgertime FTW!

only small chance if there is a chip hold the game roms, can be "emulated" by something else, but not easy need to add extra electronic. If the game roms are stored inside a single chip, together with the hardware emulation itself, there are no chance :(

Well, if there aren't traces on the circuit board to allow some sort of hack expansion, maybe the games will be on a ROM that someone can (with some desoldering) take out and replace with a larger EPROM?

I'd be amazed that there wasn't *something* that could be done to get more games in there.