IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I just saw this on The ColecoVisions FB page, The toys-r-us page is what they were linked to. Looks interesting but im not holding my breath.. I always prefer the real deal.. but at $40 it certainly wouldnt break the bank or anything and would be hopefully be worth getting.

I just saw this and while I'm very happy to see some recognition given to the Colecovision in terms of gaming - this is going to really destroy the value of current Colecovision system collections. Yes there will always be the holy grails that people will pay for but the average system and all the games that are included with this system will be worth less than right now. It happened with every system that's been retroduced (I just made that up). Sorta sad since I'm sitting on 20 colecovisions and was hoping to retire on them :( That said, I hope they do this right, maybe a little Atari adapter to go along with it????

I just saw this and while I'm very happy to see some recognition given to the Colecovision in terms of gaming - this is going to really destroy the value of current Colecovision system collections. Yes there will always be the holy grails that people will pay for but the average system and all the games that are included with this system will be worth less than right now. It happened with every system that's been retroduced (I just made that up). Sorta sad since I'm sitting on 20 colecovisions and was hoping to retire on them :( That said, I hope they do this right, maybe a little Atari adapter to go along with it????

Don't really know from experience that you are correct; but.......a retroduced (love that word!) ColecoVision with ONLY onboard games and no wayto play the original carts, just would not be the same as using the "real" thing. If it is not manufactured with any way to input ColecoVision games, I wouldn't think it would ever have the option or ability to add an Atari adapter as the ColecoVision has.

• Like 2

Sounds legit. I mean we all know that the half dozen Atari Flashbacks released to date destroyed the Atari 2600 collectors' market, right?

And I hope you're joking about retiring on 20 ColecoVisions. There was never going to be significant value in any system that sold millions of units.

• Like 5

I'm really looking forward to this.... I will be planning a trip to the US in the fall so I hope to get one then. If not, it'll be worth looking for here in Canada... last resort is importing but I can do that if needed.

What's awesome is that with 60 games included... there is going to be one that I never played before... well maybe. Perhaps I will learn how to play Fortune Builder now.. lol

Retiring on a few thousand dollars (at most)?! maybe in Haiti or Ethiopia...

Also, this product is much more likely to expand the market for Colecovision collectibles by promoting the brand than it is to shrink it by satisfying demand.

• Like 1

It could double or triple or tenfold increase the market for Colecovisions but that still doesn't amount to big numbers. If the Colecovision Kickstarter taught me anything, it's that the retro nerd kitsch scene doesn't extend very far from the well-worn Atari/Sega/Nintendo tracks.

First off - I was kidding about retiring on Colecovisions. I will be dumping my stash though before this releases.

As for the market, it will definitely lower the demand for the vintage systems. Granted, there may be some who get the new system and say they want the old but they will not shell out the big bucks for the games they already have on their 60-1. It may increase demand for those games that are not on the system but most likely what will happen is people's nostalgia bug will be cured by having half the library at there fingertips playing with basically the exact same controllers as the original.

Look at how many people on this thread alone said they don't have a colecovision system but will get this. You really think that after playing the games they're going to say, I want the other half of games- probably not.

To buy a Colecovision system with 60 games, minimally you'd be looking at $250-$300 at least. Once we get the list, you can assume there will be rare ones in there like the XonoX games.

The Atari market took a huge hit - look on craigslist and see how long Atari games sit on there - you used to get a decent money for them.

I will get this because I support anything Coleco but this will hurt the collecting value and I'm not sure it's even arguable. Look, I collect arcades - you know how hard it is to sell an arcade when people want it for their mancave and the 60-1 multicades have all the games you could ever want. We live in a minimalist society now and this fits right up that alley.

Edited by playazclub

Playazclub.... I can respect your feelings concerning the CV Flashback, but I just don't share the same fears that you do concerning it's release in a couple months. The CV scene is such a small one already when compared to the likes of the Atari and Nintendo retro scenes, that any widespread and commercial product can only help to shed more light on what a great system the CV truly is.

What really needs to be included is as much info about the CV Homebrewers as info about all the great products that have been and will be produced for the CV will truly serve to peek people's interests to delve deeper into the system.

BTW, seems everyone has a computer know-a-days and emulators as well as roms are easily acquired... Has that hurt the CV scene or has it peeked people's interests in acquiring the real deal?

• Like 3

If emulation hasn't killed the value of classic hardware, the ColecoVision Flashback isn't going to, either :D

It kind of affected the classic hardware value in my opinion

If there were no emulation at all, people would be "forced" to buy the real deal instead wich would increase the value of both consoles and cartridges

In example, you can find REALLY cheap colecovision cartridges , if there were no Atarimax SD or USB , or emualtion, people would still buy those cartridges

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not against emulation at all

I just use emulation for other purpose than playing ;)

Emulation doesn't kill the market simply because you're playing on the computer. With the flashback, you have a system that looks and feels very close the original. Way different.

It probably depends on your inclinations. I'm a player first, and way less of a collector since I have too much crap already. For me, ROMs take me back to the hardware I used to collect.

This is what I'm talking about... You will probably never feel the need to buy a real Colecovision after the flashback whereas before, you may have. we'll have to see...

Emulation doesn't kill the market simply because you're playing on the computer. ...

No, only because you're not "forced" to use the real deal instead

If you could not play the games other than playing them on the real deal , then you would be forced to own the original cartridges

The more they sold, the more expensive they get

I'm not saying emulation kill the market, it only affect it in some ways

:)