IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Toys R Us carries many thousands of different items, and this is an item announced only a few days ago on the American web site.

The average employee is some young kid working part time while going to school.

Asking him/her about a product that won't be available for months is a little bit like walking into a McDonald's and asking the kid flipping burgers if he knows when they will bring back the McRib.....

LOL i did ask when the McRib is coming back. The kid asked the manager and he told me when. The McRib is a great sandwich a little on the greasy side though.

Edited by Rik

• 2 weeks later...

Just to provide an example of how much this is in a state of flux still (and why the early packaging on these can't be relied on for the total picture), when I was preparing the manual (game descriptions) for the product, I noted there were two Super Action Controller games and one Roller Controller game on there. Unfortunately, none of those were modified for the regular controller, so they were just pulled and replaced with three additional homebrew games. The good news is that this should be the last change and the product should now be finalized.

It's really irrelevant for the product, but I'll be interested to know if either the steering wheel or roller controller work on the system. While none of the games on there require it, a few can make optional use of them, so testing it out should be possible. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't have final hardware until shortly before release.

• Like 6

Just to provide an example of how much this is in a state of flux still (and why the early packaging on these can't be relied on for the total picture), when I was preparing the manual (game descriptions) for the product, I noted there were two Super Action Controller games and one Roller Controller game on there. Unfortunately, none of those were modified for the regular controller, so they were just pulled and replaced with three additional homebrew games. The good news is that this should be the last change and the product should now be finalized.

It's really irrelevant for the product, but I'll be interested to know if either the steering wheel or roller controller work on the system. While none of the games on there require it, a few can make optional use of them, so testing it out should be possible. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't have final hardware until shortly before release.

I wonder if someone unit tested the roller controller and super controller and noticed it was not working or if they just said oh it is not going to work with regular controller so pull them.

ya know I would rather have the homebrews than the super controller games anyway. I think rocky is ok, but gets boring quickly, but the other games I would never play.

I am actually getting excited to buy a colecovision and intellivision and see how they do. Especially the intellivision one since I am never going to buy an authentic intellivision. Now I will have a way to play the games I played at my friends house if with luck they are included.

One thing I thought I should note for those who care about such things so you're not surprised and/or dissapointed, is that per usual practice there will be at least one small variation out there of the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks, in this case for Dollar General, which will get a version with one additional game. I can say on the Intellivision side the extra game is not a big deal in the slightest, but on the ColecoVision side, the extra game might be a big deal to some.

• Like 3

I'm a colecovision fan first but I picked up several intellivisions in the last year locally and I'd have to say it's a really nice system as well. My favourites are Frog Bog, armour battle (ambush on the 2600) and horse racing.

Treasure of Tarmin is a really engaging game too. There was nothing like it on coleco... until alcazar which is the closest. The first person perspective though was unique.

But I really like the controllers actually unless you have to make an exact movement but they are more like a mouse than a joystick

ya know I would rather have the homebrews than the super controller games anyway. I think rocky is ok, but gets boring quickly, but the other games I would never play.

I am actually getting excited to buy a colecovision and intellivision and see how they do. Especially the intellivision one since I am never going to buy an authentic intellivision. Now I will have a way to play the games I played at my friends house if with luck they are included.

Edited by digress

One thing I thought I should note for those who care about such things so you're not surprised and/or dissapointed, is that per usual practice there will be at least one small variation out there of the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks, in this case for Dollar General, which will get a version with one additional game. I can say on the Intellivision side the extra game is not a big deal in the slightest, but on the ColecoVision side, the extra game might be a big deal to some.

I don't like missing out on extras so that is a huge deal. Now I have to figure out what a dollar general is and if there is one that exists by me.

I'm a colecovision fan first but I picked up several intellivisions in the last year locally and I'd have to say it's a really nice system as well. My favourites are Frog Bog, armour battle (ambush on the 2600) and horse racing.

Treasure of Tarmin is a really engaging game too. There was nothing like it on coleco... until alcazar which is the closest. The first person perspective though was unique.

But I really like the controllers actually unless you have to make an exact movement but they are more like a mouse than a joystick

Just in case you are picking up games, My favorite intellivision games growing up -- Astrosmash, Lock 'n chase, burgertime, utopia, bump 'n jump, and advanced dungeons and dragons (That dragon sound when getting close always scared the hell out of me :) )

• Like 1

I don't like missing out on extras so that is a huge deal. Now I have to figure out what a dollar general is and if there is one that exists by me.

Dan Dan Dan, it is a diluted form of a Family Dollar. Most things are not a dollar, but the name gives you that inpression. Should be able to find them with no trouble. :D

Haven't the Super and Roller Controller games been modded to work with the joystick? Or were those modded roms never freely released for download?

Could they be left in there (hidden in a sense), so people with those controllers could still play them? Similar to some paddle games on the Atari FB's.

Edited by Greg2600

Haven't the Super and Roller Controller games been modded to work with the joystick? Or were those modded roms never freely released for download?

Could they be left in there (hidden in a sense), so people with those controllers could still play them? Similar to some paddle games on the Atari FB's.

I'm not aware if all of the Super Action and Roller Controller games have been modded. I was actually going to suggest they be left in as hidden games, but I don't think that's an option for this time around. Regardless, testing would still have to be done to see if those controllers worked with the ColecoVision Flashback, and that's not an option at this time, unfortunately. Like I said, though, I'll definitely do my own testing when I get a unit, and, if it does work, will definitely make the suggestion for the next iteration of the product.

The one factor with the paddle games on the Atari Flashback was that it was worth the "effort" for AtGames because they sold their own paddles, which were also bundled with some versions of the product. They're doing no such recreations of any additional ColecoVision accessories.

• Like 1

The Roller Controller uses a sort of pass through power adapter that plugs into the ColecoVision, then the power connection into that, so it powers both devices. So unless the pins on the power connector are the same with this unit it wouldn't work anyway.

Yep, but in theory if you had one you could just plug in your ColecoVision power unit. I've done that on my Adam when I didn't have the Adam adapter handy. It's not *that* outrageous to think that if someone owned a roller controller they wouldn't also have a ColecoVision console power supply handy. I'm more concerned about how the ColecoVision Flashback would read the signals from the various peripherals. It was obviously designed to read the same signals from the regular controllers that a real ColecoVision does, but I'm just not sure if there was something technical beyond that that wasn't addressed because it wasn't necessary in the Flashback.

Only Slither, Victory, Turbo and Destructor have been modified by NewColeco to work with just the standard hand controller. None of the games that require the Super Action Controllers have been modified seeing as they require all four firebuttons for gameplay. Daniel released all these hacked versions freely, but stated that they should not be sold for profit say if someone wanted to make cartridge versions.

Team Pixelboy also released a controller hacked version of Destructor and still might have plans for Front Line depending on how things work out with Opcode.

Seeing as the CV Flashback's controllers will be compatible with the original CV and vice versa I would assume, the special controllers (R.C., D.M., S.A.C.) and 3rd party controllers should all work just fine on the CV Flashback. As was mentioned, the user will have to supply a CV power supply to power the R.C. when used with the Flashback.

Only Slither, Victory, Turbo and Destructor have been modified by NewColeco to work with just the standard hand controller. None of the games that require the Super Action Controllers have been modified seeing as they require all four fire buttons for gameplay.

Just for the heck of it, I looked at the Super Action overlays. Football has too many possible actions to remap to a standard controller keypad, but I think Baseball could be hacked to work with a standard controller. The hacker would have to rename the game "Head-to-Head Baseball", of course. :)

• Like 1

Just for the heck of it, I looked at the Super Action overlays. Football has too many possible actions to remap to a standard controller keypad, but I think Baseball could be hacked to work with a standard controller. The hacker would have to rename the game "Head-to-Head Baseball", of course. :)

I played the heck out of Super Action Baseball BITD with my father and don't think a hack of the controls would work as smoothly especially when you have to make quick throws to the infielders and/or specific bases as well as when you need to quickly change control of what baserunner you are controlling. Then there would be the issue of not having the Speed Roller which is used to increase or decrease the speed of the baserunner and sometimes to stop and change the direction the baserunner is running (ie: a rundown).

Well, a hack of SAB might work for me seeing as I have the Proto Hand Controller with built-in Speed Roller! :D

I played the heck out of Super Action Baseball BITD with my father and don't think a hack of the controls would work as smoothly especially when you have to make quick throws to the infielders and/or specific bases as well as when you need to quickly change control of what baserunner you are controlling. Then there would be the issue of not having the Speed Roller which is used to increase or decrease the speed of the baserunner and sometimes to stop and change the direction the baserunner is running (ie: a rundown).

I was thinking of using the side buttons to replace the spinner functionalities (tap the button as rapidly as possible) and have everything else mapped to the keypad. Most keypad keys would serve double duties for pitching and fielding, but I think it could work. To be honest, it's just a thought and I haven't investigated it fully. :)

Well, a hack of SAB might work for me seeing as I have the Proto Hand Controller with built-in Speed Roller! :D

Cool! Then one could make a single copy of a one-of-a-kind hack that would only work with a one-of-a-kind controller! :D

• Like 1

The speed roller was so important to super action baseball. I used to crush my friends cause they could never get me in a run down . It's the one use of it that really really worked well if you mastered it and made it a game of skill.

Had to go to the skeevy side of town before I found a Dollar General. Wanted to see what all the hullabaloo was about. Not only did they have next to nothing for electronics/gaming/dvd's... the only thing I would have bought since I was there, the gal in her 30's never heard of a friggin' jewel case! Had to describe it a few different ways before she went on a hunt to find. And of course, never did. lol

Strange, dirty and disorganized store. Can't imagine the place ever selling a flashback anything. Or where it would even be marketed. Have an easier time imaging anything game related "falling out the back of the truck", before making to the shelves. :lol:

• Like 2

Yeah, I've been into a few DGs. They tend to be in low-end shopping strip malls and cater to uneducated buyers. Around Christmas, they get in a big batch of toys and decorations (lots of it cheap stuff) and previous years close-outs, but there always seems to be something interesting. They've had some kind of famiclone most of the last few years, for example. Regarding the rest of their inventory, you can usually find it cheaper somewhere else. I was surprised to hear that they would contract for a custom version of the Flashback. I have noticed that after Christmas, the extra stuff gets discounted significantly so it sells fast. I got a good crockpot for $5 last year.

• Like 1

Will Dollar General have the Flashback systems when Toys R Us gets them, or after?

Timing is always difficult to figure out. It's all in who gets stock when and when they make a push to put it out. I can't imagine there being much delay once it's released, though, because it's coming out in October, which doesn't leave much holiday shopping time (so I doubt there'd be much of a delay between stores).

Timing is always difficult to figure out. It's all in who gets stock when and when they make a push to put it out. I can't imagine there being much delay once it's released, though, because it's coming out in October, which doesn't leave much holiday shopping time (so I doubt there'd be much of a delay between stores).

Bill, when will you be able to disclose the final list of games on the Colecovision Flashback and the bonus game that the DG units are going to have?

This puts me in a bit of a bind, cause I already pre-ordered both the Coleco and Intelivison Flashbacks from Toys R Us. Based on comments already said, I'm fine in getting the Intelivision one from them, but I don't know what to do about my Coleco pre-order. Depending on what the bonus game is, I might want to cancel it and get it from DG when it comes out. I'd hate to get one and then have to turn around and sell it again, knowing I'll lose money on it.

Any hints or anything at all you can say about the bonus game? :)