IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I like to think of the Dollar General set as the Kenny McCormick Signature Edition while the Sam's Club set would be the Peter Griffin Limited Edition.

So, Dollar General killed Kenny? Them bastards! :o

Well I guess Toys-R-Us can sell the Homer Simpson Edition then, D'oh! :P

Edited by stardust4ever

So, Dollar General killed Kenny? Them bastards! :o

Well I guess Toys-R-Us can sell the Homer Simpson Edition then, D'oh! :P

More appropriately, although not completely spot-on, the Gil Gunderson Edition, since he worked for Coleco as a computer salesman.

(Mousetrap or Ladybug..?)

There are a few maze-like games on there, but neither of those.

That's too bad, as I consider those to be a couple of the more popular and well-known releases for the Coleco.

• Like 1

Oh come on man, Lady Bug and Mouse Trap have got to be two of the easiest games to get, as already pointed out, AtGames has Venture and Pepper II! Talk about greed, Nintendo I can see, but companies like Universal, Exidy, Midway and Sega make absolutely no money with their precious licenses when they just sit there not as a Colecovision Flashback game, so they're basically worthless!

:mad:

Is Cosmic Avenger also wasted?

Edited by TrekkiELO

Will a MAZE game like Mousetrap or Ladybug or BOTH be on Colecovision Flashback?

There are a few maze-like games on there, but neither of those.

WOW!!! :-o

The news on the CVF just keeps getting worse and worse. How could Mouse Trap AND / OR Lady Bug not be on the CVF? :mad: Well, I guess they had to save some games for special edition that will be sold at Stuckey's restaraunts or perhaps hold back some games to make a CVF 2 worthwhile.

There's not really a pure maze game, unless you count Alphabet Zoo.

OMG! YES! They included one of my all-time favorites... Alphabet Zoo. Know I know AtGames is targeting the CVF solely at the unknowing and uninformed non-retrogaming consumer.

I tried to bite my tongue and be thankful that the CV was getting some commercial love, but the way this is heading, it might do more bad than good. I'm glad that I didn't pre-order one from Toys 'r Us.... pre-ordering from a retail chain, another atrocity!

• Like 2

Man, what a mess!

Before going to get homebrews, they should at least get the easy games!

Mouse Trap... Come on!

I can understand they did not get Donkey Kong and Jr. ..... But Mouse Trap, ...really?

Anyway, I guess I'm just happy for those people who will buy the Flashback to "get back" to the system

But, geez, what an awfull way to get back to a system anyway ....

I applause their efforts to make one though

So kudos to ATgames for making this

Sincerly

• Like 2

Mouse Trap is kind of iconic on Colecovision :)

It, like Donkey Kong and Smurf Rescue are indeed iconic CV titles. Mouse Trap was even the pack-in game for some systems sold/distributed by CBS Electronics in Europe.

BTW, are there former Atari employees working at AtGames now that still might hold a grudge at the ColecoVision? ;)

• Like 1

Not gonna win any fans, but I gotta laugh at some of the comments here. People bitching and moaning about certain games not being on a $40 flashback console with 60 built-in games that looks like a small version of the original console and most likely will have perfect/near-perfect emulation. It's that entitled Burger King mentality so prevalent these days: "Have It YOUR way". Yet a lot of the same ppl willingly spend $60 on a mediocre homebrew game...

:ponder:

• Like 1

All I can say is that if the licenses were available to be had for reasonable terms and/or from a verifiable licensor, they'd likely have gotten them. Just because a game was owned by x company at one point doesn't necessarily mean it went with that company's other IPs. As we know, paths of ownership of classic IPs are often messy, and it's questionable if even some of the present rights holders for some of this stuff is even truly legitimate.

• Like 4

Not gonna win any fans, but I gotta laugh at some of the comments here. People bitching and moaning about certain games not being on a $40 flashback console with 60 built-in games that looks like a small version of the original console and most likely will have perfect/near-perfect emulation. It's that entitled Burger King mentality so prevalent these days: "Have It YOUR way". Yet a lot of the same ppl willingly spend $60 on a mediocre homebrew game...

I hear what you are saying, but for the hardcore fans like myself, you just want to see things done right and done to the fullest. Why not give the casual consumer that buys the CVF the :-o WOW :-o factor instead of just the 8) COOL 8) factor? Give them something memorable that will keep them looking for more and will guarantee that they will be up to buying the CVF 2 if sales warrant such a system in the future.

Why shouldn't we want to "Have it YOUR WAY"? There are a lot of knowledgeable people on these forums whose opinions and experience could of and should of been tapped into by AtGames. Thank god that Bill L. has his foot in the door, otherwise lord knows how this would have turned out.

As far as $60 mediocre homebrews, I agree that there have been some releases that should have been reconsidered for CIB release over the years and just released as a rom image. It's never easy shelling out $60 for a game that you know you'll play a couple times and then store it away with the rest of the collection, but for the serious collectors, you just chalk it up and move onto the next game which hopefully turns out to be a gem like Pippols.

• Like 6

One point to add to what NIAD said is that a lot of what people were told they were getting has been removed. So with the Burger King analogy, this is like ordering a Whopper with everything and being happy about it only to find you end up with a Turkey burger with no extras other than lettuce. Still food, but not what you wanted. So yes, we should have it our way as that is what was offered and what we wanted. Slowly offerings have been removed to the point of it being a very basic bare bones offering that may appeal to a much smaller audience.

• Like 1

Not me, I'd never pay $60 on any homebrew game, mediocre or otherwise!

One point to add to what NIAD said is that a lot of what people were told they were getting has been removed. So with the Burger King analogy, this is like ordering a Whopper with everything and being happy about it only to find you end up with a Turkey burger with no extras other than lettuce. Still food, but not what you wanted. So yes, we should have it our way as that is what was offered and what we wanted. Slowly offerings have been removed to the point of it being a very basic bare bones offering that may appeal to a much smaller audience.

Maybe it's more like going into Burger King expecting fancy French cuisine with nice service and linen tablecloths. Sorry, but you can't have a huge licensed collection for cheap. Vintage game gourmets will need to look elsewhere, and pay more.

Let's not be too shrill about having things "taken away" from this thing that hasn't been delivered yet. The absence of Mouse Trap or Lady Bug is not going to sink this thing.

• Like 5

Not me, I'd never pay $60 on any homebrew game, mediocre or otherwise!

That, to me, is sad. Losing money is the norm, breaking even rare and making a profit can amount to not much at all for hobby programmers. Especially if you look at inflation, we were paying $39.95 for ET in 1984, that is $91.47 today!

Boxes cost $20.00 minimum, some of the tech in the modern cart and the board has to cost a lot.

$35.00 for a cart with a beautiful box and instructions and shipping is a steal at $60 in my opinion.

I also understand where that price is too much on a hobby when all the money is needed for the family.

Maybe it's more like going into Burger King expecting fancy French cuisine with nice service and linen tablecloths. Sorry, but you can't have a huge licensed collection for cheap. Vintage game gourmets will need to look elsewhere, and pay more.

Let's not be too shrill about having things "taken away" from this thing that hasn't been delivered yet. The absence of Mouse Trap or Lady Bug is not going to sink this thing.

Your analogy makes no sense. AtGames was going to include a complete set of overlays, for both CV and INTV sets, which was then greatly reduced. They advertised, we wanted, they removed. Your analogy does not work as we are not looking for anything other than what they can provide. A more accurate analogy would be we went to Burger King after watching an advertisement, yet when we got there all they had was Kids Meals for the same price as the advertised adult combo meal.

They are already producing more than one version which is clearly being done for profit trying to get customers to buy multiple versions with subtle differences between each version. They would be better off simply providing a better version with all they can offer rather than multiple versions that separate what they have. I was very excited and had pre-ordered 3 CV sets and 3 INTV sets, now I have cancelled all pre-orders.

I would gladly pay more for a "Gold Version" with all overlays and more games. They could also have a "Silver Version" with perhaps all games but not all overlays, and also have the current version as the "Bronze Version" without all games or overlays. Maybe a "Platinum Version" which was the Gold Version plus removable controllers. These would be better options than what they are offering. Right now the choice is multiple Bronze Versions (seems like 3) to get all they offer. So you end up spending $120 for the 3 consoles, which is simply not worth it to me.

• Like 1