IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I was able to purchase a Colecovision Flashback at my local toys R Us today... anybody else get one early? (or is this early? sounds like they were supposed to go out on Oct 1st)

Check page 36, several people started getting Colecovision Flashbacks by August, 23 :) but since then most stores sent them back to storage because they missed release date.

It looks like the official release date for Toys'R'Us is September, 22

Here is my review over the new ColecoVision Flashback. Overall I think it's worth the $40 price tag for it. I just really wish the controllers were compatible with the original CV and vice versa. http://gamester81.com/new-colecovision-flashback-system-review/

Nice review, too bad the controllers don't work with the original, I think a lot of people would have bought it just for that alone!

• Like 1

Nice review, too bad the controllers don't work with the original, I think a lot of people would have bought it just for that alone!

I'm hoping the next run of FBs have compatible controllers, and that they sell well enough for 3rd party controllers to be made. I have never been a fan of the INTV or Coleco controllers. A proper stick with a keypad would be heaven!

I got my Coleco FB today from Toys R Us in Rochester NY. The sales clerk had to get a manager to override the sale because the system actually noticed it had a release date that wasnt up yet. They where nice enough to sell me one, but i watched as the manager grabbed the other stock off the shelf right after that. yikes. Now i just have to figure out who to talk to about getting Side Trak and Rip Cord into the next version! I always wanted to go to the store and buy my own game some day!!!!!

• Like 3

Dollar General now has their ColecoVision Flashback link up with "Coming Soon!" so you can sign up to receive an email when it's available.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=43753776

Free Shipping with $40 Purchase! Up to $15 Shipping Credit.

About this product

62 Built in Games with the Antarctic Adventure game EXCLUSIVELY for Dollar General. Play with authentically Designed wired controllers and enhance your gameplay with Limited Edition controller overlays. Includes AC Power Adapter and Instruction Manual.

Game List

• 3D Tic-Tac-Toe
  • Alphabet Zoo
  • Antarctic Adventure (exclusive to Dollar General)
  • Aquattack
  • Artillery Duel
  • Bankruptcy Builder
  • BlackJack/Poker
  • Blockade Runner
  • Brain Strainers
  • Bump 'n' Jump
  • Choplifter!
  • Cosmic Avenger
  • Destructor
  • Dragonfire
  • Evolution
  • Fathom
  • Flipper Slipper
  • Fortune Builder
  • Frantic Freddy
  • Frenzy
  • Gateway to Apshai
  • Gust Buster
  • Jumpman Junior
  • Jungle Hunt
  • Mecha-8
  • Miner 2049er
  • Module Man
  • Monster Masher
  • Montezuma's Revenge
  • Moonsweeper
  • Motocross Racer
  • Mountain King
  • Ms. Space Fury
  • Nova Blast
  • Oil's Well
  • Omega Race
  • Pepper II
  • Princess Quest
  • Quest for Quintana Roo
  • Rolloverture
  • Sammy Lightfoot
  • Schlange CV
  • Search for the Stolen Crown Jewels
  • Search for the Stolen Crown Jewels 2
  • Search for the Stolen Crown Jewels 3
  • Shunting Puzzle
  • Sir Lancelot
  • Slurpy
  • Space Fury
  • Space Panic
  • Squish 'Em Featuring Sam
  • Super Cross Force
  • Telly Turtle
  • The Dam Buster
  • The Heist
  • Threshold
  • Tomarc the Barbarian
  • Tournament Tennis
  • Venture
  • War Room
  • Wing War
  • Zaxxon

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 2

Is this a "Real ColecoVision"? I saw some screenshots from it today and I hear it can play games a real ColecoVsion cannot play (basically MSX ports) and that the controller is not wired the same. Is like a nes-on-a-chip deal?

Also, I've tried to log into this board so many times and it just never worked until today. I haven't been able to post here for years. Anyone know why that would happen?

Chris

Is this a "Real ColecoVision"? I saw some screenshots from it today and I hear it can play games a real ColecoVsion cannot play (basically MSX ports) and that the controller is not wired the same. Is like a nes-on-a-chip deal?

Also, I've tried to log into this board so many times and it just never worked until today. I haven't been able to post here for years. Anyone know why that would happen?

Chris

All the games in the Colecovision Flashback are playable in a normal Colecovision if you have the cartridge.

Although some games like my own Princess Quest are long ago sold out. For Mecha-8 you can still reserve a cartridge from the next batch of Team Pixelboy.

I have to admit, it's a bit exciting reading about you guys and the new system! I still won't buy one (joysticks) but I did like the idea of HDMI connectivity; but from what I've read, the resolution isn't quite there yet. So I guess I'll stick to my original gear, but I'll be paying attention to see if they make any improvement on these in the future. Enjoy!

All the games in the Colecovision Flashback are playable in a normal Colecovision if you have the cartridge.

Although some games like my own Princess Quest are long ago sold out. For Mecha-8 you can still reserve a cartridge from the next batch of Team Pixelboy.

Gamester81 (who also posted something at the top of this page) put up a video today about it and said that there are homebrews in there that require the expansion module that was made a few years ago (I never knew it got completed). But are you saying this is a ColecoVision on a chip or something, where it is the right hardware with true rom dumps that would play exacly like a real ColecoVision? If so, has anyone figured out how to wire up a cartridge port like on the model of the 2600 flashback (IIRC, it's the 2nd one). ColecoVision hardware is notoriously unreliable and I have most of the games and I have a multi-cart with all of the games including a few proto-types. My ColecoVision needs to have it's power switch cleaned out again though. It would be nice and worth it if I could install a cartidge port on one of these things assuming the lines are there and a way of the machine knowing to use the cart and not the internal rom.

Gamester81 (who also posted something at the top of this page) put up a video today about it and said that there are homebrews in there that require the expansion module that was made a few years ago (I never knew it got completed). But are you saying this is a ColecoVision on a chip or something, where it is the right hardware with true rom dumps that would play exacly like a real ColecoVision? If so, has anyone figured out how to wire up a cartridge port like on the model of the 2600 flashback (IIRC, it's the 2nd one). ColecoVision hardware is notoriously unreliable and I have most of the games and I have a multi-cart with all of the games including a few proto-types. My ColecoVision needs to have it's power switch cleaned out again though. It would be nice and worth it if I could install a cartidge port on one of these things assuming the lines are there and a way of the machine knowing to use the cart and not the internal rom.

there is no way to modify it. I am sure some genius might be able to figure something out but right now there is nothing. Nobody is going to bother trying to put a cart port on it though when you can just link an sd so you can play the roms.

Dollar General now has their ColecoVision Flashback link up with "Coming Soon!" so you can sign up to receive an email when it's available.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=43753776

Free Shipping with $40 Purchase! Up to $15 Shipping Credit.

Thank you for this link. I'm gonna try to snag one at my local shop when their available. If not, I'll get it online.

Sadly, I'm gonna be in the hospital next week for surgery. If they plan on sticking to the October 1st release date, I should be out of the H by then. I'll probably have my mom buy it for me and put it under the tree for Christmas. I don't own a Coleco and can't really afford to add any more consoles to my game collection, so this will make a great substitute. In our family, we pretty much tell each other what we want for Christmas each year. It's still fun to open gifts whether we already know what's inside it or not. Christmas time for us is more about the anticipation than truly being surprised. That and it's pretty hard to shop for a collector... :grin:

I am def gonna grab a CVFB (and an INTVFB) from Dollar General. I love Antarctic Adventure!

Pretty much this. I've never played it, but several people claim it's their favorite game, so I'm gonna take their word for it. I saw a play-through video and it was pretty cute. In a way it also reminds me of some of the old school racing games...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

To be clear - this is NOT a Coleco-on-a-chip and you can't just play arbitrary ROMs on it. You MIGHT be able to, some might work, some might not. But it's an ARM processor running what is likely a custom emulator (unsure what it's based off of, but almost certainly tailored to their game selection and hardware). So yeah, it's possible other ROMs could be made to work but who knows. There is no interface to hook them into, without some serious electronics skills. This is not a 2600 FB2 with pins nicely laid out for you. I suspect we're talking globbed chips and everything. No "data in" lines to even hook into.

It's even possible they've hard-coded the ROM names into the emulator itself or something, or using a really bizarre scheme of "copy protection". Kinda like the NeoGeoX. And given the homebrew on it, I can see a point in trying. Not every homebrew is floating around the Internets freely. So while I'm sure some will take a crack at it just for fun, don't get any hopes up about playing other ROMs on one of these, unless and until At Games releases another version with either a cart port or an SD slot.

• Like 1

Sadly, I'm gonna be in the hospital next week for surgery. If they plan on sticking to the October 1st release date, I should be out of the H by then. I'll probably have my mom buy it for me and put it under the tree for Christmas. I don't own a Coleco and can't really afford to add any more consoles to my game collection, so this will make a great substitute. In our family, we pretty much tell each other what we want for Christmas each year. It's still fun to open gifts whether we already know what's inside it or not. Christmas time for us is more about the anticipation than truly being surprised. That and it's pretty hard to shop for a collector... :grin:

Take care!

• Like 1

Chris

It is a clone console based on a ARM (aka mobile) processor. It depends what your definition of real is. A real Coleco would have a bunch of capicators, resistors, registers, and traces on the boad as well as its own (16bit?) CPU that would not be in this version. It's hard to reproduce hardware accurately, doing so by software is even harder. If you are a purist, the real console will be the best thing as it is accurate and will have better video and sound quality.

I consider myself a purist and don't own any clone consoles or use emulators, but the Coleco alone is too expensive and in this case I'm fine with setlling for a substitute, and this is a pretty great one. With Atari 2600 the systems and games are so cheap that when I got mine a few years back I went with real hardware over the flashback (although I do misss out on some cool protos and composite video). Coleco consoles can fetch a hefty price and to be able to purchase a brand new console with 2 controllers and 60 games for $40 is a great deal any way I see it.