IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

You didn't state what model Toshiba you have, so here's one result from searching 'Toshiba 36" crt screen adjustment' came across codes for service adjustments. It's in the second post.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/accessing-service-menu-on-toshiba-36zp48.436437/

Edited by privateers69
  • Like 1

You didn't state what model Toshiba you have, so here's one result from searching 'Toshiba 36" crt screen adjustment' came across codes for service adjustments. It's in the second post.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/accessing-service-menu-on-toshiba-36zp48.4364

The model number is 36A20 I think. Looked in the owner's manual and didn't see any adjustments to center the picture or move it.Will try the link, thanks. I did hook it up to different TV's with the same result. Thanks to all that responded!

Edited by thegamezmaster

How about your other video consoles or shows? It might need adjusted with the small knobs behind the tv. One would do the video height, another video width and another for centering the picture. (All depends on the age of the television)

While these features are generally included on monitors because computers display important info in the overscan area, the vast majority of consumer CRTs have no such user adjustable setting to account for overscan. They are set at the factory and if adjustment is at all possible, means opening up the CRT and tinkering around, which is extremely dangerous because the caps can hold a lethal charge, even for days or months with the power off.

I've had a weird intermittent issue (maybe 10-25% of the time) where I power on the CV FB, and the display will be shifted drastically down and to the right, to the point where some of the menu will be wrapping around to the left side of the screen. Usually messing with the power and reset buttons a bit sorts it out. Is that the problem you're seeing?

I've also noticed that in some games (Module Man in particular), sprites will disappear suddenly if they are moved over to the extreme right side of the screen. I'm not sure if this is a quirk of the original games, or an emulation issue.

I've also noticed that in some games (Module Man in particular), sprites will disappear suddenly if they are moved over to the extreme right side of the screen. I'm not sure if this is a quirk of the original games, or an emulation issue.

It's an emulation issue. There's no such problem on a real ColecoVision console.

I've had a weird intermittent issue (maybe 10-25% of the time) where I power on the CV FB, and the display will be shifted drastically down and to the right, to the point where some of the menu will be wrapping around to the left side of the screen. Usually messing with the power and reset buttons a bit sorts it out. Is that the problem you're seeing?

These issues could also be faulty units. I don't recall experiencing any of these issues and I did quite a bit of resetting/powering off.

About every tenth time I turn mine on, it comes up shifted 30% to the right.

Turning it off and on again (usually) corrects it. I also noticed the disappearing sprite when playing Miner 2049er on the far right side of the screen.

Also, in Miner 2049er, I noticed that "my guy with the hat" moves more slowly than normal at the beginning of each screen, then moves faster as the bad guys are knocked out. By the time all the bad guys are gone, "my guy with the hat" moves faster than the original. All these guys must share some resource that is freed up as bad guys are eliminated.

Edited by fiddlepaddle

I got mine last week and am enjoying it so far (never having owned a CV before). I did notice that there seem to be a number of throw-away games on it (turtle graphics, anyone) though I feel that it is still worth having. I do have to question who made the brilliant decision to put the AC adapter plug on the side of the unit vs. in the back of it. Had it been in the back, I could have had a shelf in my stand with Atari Flashback 2, 7800 and then Coleco Flashback. However, the design instead lead me to having to reorganize my entire TV stand in order to accommodate my new entry.

Edited by bikeguychicago

I got mine last week and am enjoying it so far (never having owned a CV before). I did notice that there seem to be a number of throw-away games on it (turtle graphics, anyone) though I feel that it is still worth having. I do have to question who made the brilliant decision to put the AC adapter plug on the side of the unit vs. in the back of it. Had it been in the back, I could have had a shelf in my stand with Atari Flashback 2, 7800 and then Coleco Flashback. However, the design instead lead me to having to reorganize my entire TV stand in order to accommodate my new entry.

You you could get an adapter with a right angle plug; assuming you have a half inch or so to spare it should fit.

• Like 1

I picked up my Flashbacks at the post office on Saturday. Well international shipping to Canada from TRU USA worked! In fact it worked TOO WELL. I received my order... times 2. Turns out that my first attempt at ordering online with my MasterCard DID go through when I thought that it hadn't. The credit card charge didn't even show up until days before it arrived. And of course my PayPal-paid order also arrived. So now I have 4 Flashbacks LOL. Nice to look at all those boxes on my living room floor but I have no idea what I'm going to do with the 2 extra units.

Anyways I've been fooling around with it this weekend and enjoy it... controllers are a little hard on the hands after a while but nothing unexpected. My only complaint about the FB is the lack of a number of the truly classic titles. I'm sure they tried, but it doesn't get me into full CV reminiscent-mode without DK, Lady Bug, Mouse Trap, etc. It's a very cool product and I love it, but it's definitely not everything that it should be. :)

• Like 1

I picked up my Flashbacks at the post office on Saturday. Well international shipping to Canada from TRU USA worked! In fact it worked TOO WELL. I received my order... times 2. Turns out that my first attempt at ordering online with my MasterCard DID go through when I thought that it hadn't. The credit card charge didn't even show up until days before it arrived. And of course my PayPal-paid order also arrived. So now I have 4 Flashbacks LOL. Nice to look at all those boxes on my living room floor but I have no idea what I'm going to do with the 2 extra units.

Anyways I've been fooling around with it this weekend and enjoy it... controllers are a little hard on the hands after a while but nothing unexpected. My only complaint about the FB is the lack of a number of the truly classic titles. I'm sure they tried, but it doesn't get me into full CV reminiscent-mode without DK, Lady Bug, Mouse Trap, etc. It's a very cool product and I love it, but it's definitely not everything that it should be. :)

Too bad you couldn't combine shipping on the double order. I'm sure other Canadian forum members will want to buy your spare consoles.

Edited by stardust4ever

I bought my Coleco Flashback 5 yesterday at walmart for just under 40 bucks, which is a STEAL when you consider that most single video games in general cost 40 bucks! It was a very hard decidsion. I knew I could only afford one flashback system. They also had the Atari flashback 5 which surprisingly included Ron Lloyd's Adventure II for the 5200 as well as some rare titles I never even heard of, and Im dang collector!!!

They also had the Intellevision Flashback and the Genesis flashback system which even had a cart slot. When I get the money I should go back and buy those other ones too. I havent had time to test out the Coleco yet, but the reason I bought it is because I figured it would be nice to have a new, working system, because my original coleco is getting more and more like the NES when it comes to reliability. Also, I liked the fact that I got the new controllers with it which seem to be much easier to use than the original ones which I always hated. I was surprised teh genesis systems werent all sold out. just to think, all that for only 40 bucks!!!

I caved yesterday when I was at Toys 'R Us and picked up a CVFB... helped a lot in my decision that I had a $25 gift card!

My thoughts from playing about 10 different games... it's a nice little product that is priced extremely reasonably especially for those that don't own or plan on buying a real ColecoVision system. For diehards and collectors like myself that own a real CV and/or ADAM, it's a nice piece to add to the collection and I'm in the process of boxing everything back up to safely store away.

The feel of the gameplay (emulation) just isn't there even compared to using emulators such as BlueMSX, MESS and Virtual ADAM on a PC and even the CV emulator I have setup on my Wii is better. I do have to admit that moving in diagonal directions in Venture is a lot easier with the CVFB's controllers, but that's not enough for my to justify clearing a spot to keep the CVFB hooked-up for gameplay.

Close, but no cigar. Hopefully if there is a CVFB 2 developed in the future, AtGames will take into consideration all the good suggestions made in the other thread.

• Like 1

Too bad you couldn't combine shipping on the double order. I'm sure other Canadian forum members will want to buy your spare consoles.

That did suck paying 58 bucks shipping for 4 CVFBs, but it was an educational experience. And some of the other lessons I've learned in my life have cost me thousands more :)

When playing Oil's Well and you move all the way to the right of the screen your drill disappears ... very disappointing imo .

Didn't test that one out and it's disappointing to hear. The super slow-mo gameplay of "The Heist" is almost comical and Mecha8 (one of the best CV Homebrews) just didn't feel the same as when played on a real CV.

• Like 1

Well, having used mine for a few days, about the only game on it I do like is Frenzy. Many of the third-party games, especially the SpectraVideo ones, and just awful and feel like cash-ins. Don't care for any of the Imagic games; Dragonfire and Moonsweeper are better on the 2600, and I can't figure out what to do with Wing War. Tried playing Squish 'Em and Bump 'n' Jump (also played this last week on an NES emulator), but again prefer the 2600 versions.

Keep trying to get decent scores on Pepper II and Zaxxon, but so far have failed. I'll try some of the other games eventually. It's just that I find Frenzy so addicting, though not quite as much as 5200 Berzerk.

Keep trying to get decent scores on Pepper II and Zaxxon, but so far have failed. I'll try some of the other games eventually. It's just that I find Frenzy so addicting, though not quite as much as 5200 Berzerk.

I think it's a good port of Frenzy but I hate the music. The original did not have music and I think it's better w/out it. Still dig the game otherwise!