IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

They were in two different Sam's clubs I stopped at yesterday, in the video game section under the Skylanders stuff. Both stores only had the Atari Flashback 5 at this time. Talked to a clerk at both locations, neither had any info to offer other than 'closer to christmas' for the other Flashbacks.

I also stopped by a Dollar General and found a very helpful long-time (7 years or so) clerk there. They grabbed the November store layout book, and to confirm Darrin9999's info, it does show the endcaps are to be placed *no later than November 7* according to the associate. In the book, it shows there will be the Genesis, Genesis Portable, ColecoVision Flashback, Intellivision Flashback and the Atari Flashback *4* on 2 shelves from the floor up on an endcap. No idea why they are carrying the 4, unless it's a misprint but the website is selling the FB5. So who knows til they're on shelves I guess. :)

Here's what I found to be the interesting part of what I was told: Most stores will likely only get a few cases of 2 units of each model I was told. They're expected in stores on this week's truck so they can be on shelves by November 7th as the monthly book dictates. However, these *ARE* on the Black Friday specials ($26 each they thought, but didn't look it up while I was there), which can be bad depending on the store manager. They stated the deal is simply "a lot of stores won't put these out at all until Black Friday since they're an ad special. We usually don't, because we need to make sure we have stock on hand when the ad comes out. You'd be amazed at how mad people get if we're out of something in the ad."

That said, they said they appreciated me being cool about asking and not being pushy and asked for my phone number to call me if they showed up on this week's truck as expected and they'd hook me up. Woohoo! The clerk seemed to know their stuff, so I believe it to be accurate (otherwise I wouldn't bother posting about it!), but don't hate me if somehow it's not dead on. More to come if I find anything else out, of course! Happy Halloween!

This confirms my fears partially. I placed an order from the website earlier this week. The shipment arrived October 31st off the UPS truck. Unfortunately i won't be doing any unboxing or videos since I gave it to my mom to place under the tree for me. The fact that the store managers may be withholding stock for Black Friday was what I was afraid of. Glad I secured my Flashback now instead of scrambling for it after Thanksgivng. No offence, but I refuse to buy into the black Friday nonsense. Thanksgiving is for friends, family, food, Macy's Parade, and of course Football, FOOTBALL, and MOAR FOOOOTTBAALLL!!! :grin:

1075672.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 3

I would rather pay full price for something than waste my time away from having fun with family and friends. I agree stardust4ever. It doesn't hurt that I totally hate shopping and try to buy everything online anyway. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I would have preferred to just walk down the street and get it (I always try to support local economy if I can), but the uncertainty factor looms. If they indeed receive stock decide to hold them as Black Friday items, then I'd have not only missed the retail boat but likely would have missed the online boat if they sold out in the meantime.

yes, it has the same problem. not enough clearance. I am back to working on a 3d printed arcade joystick for it :)

Any tips on using the Colecovision controller, Willy? I posted a thread about it last night, but basically I'm having a really hard time with it, finding it bulky and not comfortable at all, and the side buttons very difficult to use. My hands start cramping after a few minutes.

Any tips on using the Colecovision controller, Willy? I posted a thread about it last night, but basically I'm having a really hard time with it, finding it bulky and not comfortable at all, and the side buttons very difficult to use. My hands start cramping after a few minutes.

On the original, I mod mine with microswitches for the joystick. then shorten the throw of the action buttons so you dont have to push them in as far. I also have made controllers out of Genesis pads to use on the colecovision as well and a pass through connector so you can use the keypad on the controller and use a external joystick with 2 fire buttons.

for the flashback, I have nuthin :) The side buttons seem to work better and have less through, but that stubby joystick is awful. I typically play games with my thumb sitting on top of the joystick and use it like a dpad.

I am in the process of prototyping a replacement joystick for the controller to have a arcade style stick on it :)

• Like 1

On the original, I mod mine with microswitches for the joystick. then shorten the throw of the action buttons so you dont have to push them in as far. I also have made controllers out of Genesis pads to use on the colecovision as well and a pass through connector so you can use the keypad on the controller and use a external joystick with 2 fire buttons.

for the flashback, I have nuthin :) The side buttons seem to work better and have less through, but that stubby joystick is awful. I typically play games with my thumb sitting on top of the joystick and use it like a dpad.

I am in the process of prototyping a replacement joystick for the controller to have a arcade style stick on it :)

Funny, it's the stubby joystick I have the LEAST problem with. :lol:

How do you hold the Flashback Colecovision controller, normaly? Maybe that would help if I copied you. :P

Does anyone think maybe part of the problem here is that AtGames was copying controller designs that really weren't that great ergonomically to begin with? There are numerous other ways to arrange an 8-way Dpad/thumbstick and two buttons that wouldn't be such an ergonomic nightmare. Horizontal controllers have been pretty much standard staple on all post crash game consoles, yet they were unheard of in the west prior to Nintendo. Just look at the Wiimote. You can hold it vertical like a remote/pointer or horizontal like a gamepad.

• Like 2

Does anyone think maybe part of the problem here is that AtGames was copying controller designs that really weren't that great ergonomically to begin with? There are numerous other ways to arrange an 8-way Dpad/thumbstick and two buttons that wouldn't be such an ergonomic nightmare. Horizontal controllers have been pretty much standard staple on all post crash game consoles, yet they were unheard of in the west prior to Nintendo. Just look at the Wiimote. You can hold it vertical like a remote/pointer or horizontal like a gamepad.

I have always remembered Colecovision games to be beautiful to behold yet physically painful to play.

• Like 2

Pretty much. I get the point of trying to mimic the original look and feel, but that leaves them with all the baggage of horribly early '80s ergonomy. Personally, I would much prefer something like a Jaguar controller, i.e. a more modern d-pad and buttons along with a keypad.

Pretty much. I get the point of trying to mimic the original look and feel, but that leaves them with all the baggage of horribly early '80s ergonomy. Personally, I would much prefer something like a Jaguar controller, i.e. a more modern d-pad and buttons along with a keypad.

Except not the Jaguar pad, which is also an ergonomic disaster. The six button Jaguar Pro Pad is excellent, though.

The whole point of the ColecoVision Flashback was to mimic the original ColecoVision experience, so having a different design in the box would defeat the purpose. I honestly don't know why the engineer went with such a short nub, though, which doesn't mimic the original controller at all. Frankly, once you add a ball top mod with extended shaft, the ColecoVision controllers suddenly become a pleasure to use. The AtGames engineer went in the opposite direction though and made the shaft shorter, which makes the ergonomics far worse. Crazy, really, but again if one assumes that the engineer thought that you were supposed to use the joystick nub with your thumb instead of your fingers, having a shorter shaft suddenly makes more sense. It's still not a good excuse, though.

• Like 4

Except not the Jaguar pad, which is also an ergonomic disaster. The six button Jaguar Pro Pad is excellent, though.

Right, I don't mean an exact copy of the Jaguar controller, just that general idea.

The whole point of the ColecoVision Flashback was to mimic the original ColecoVision experience, so having a different design in the box would defeat the purpose. I honestly don't know why the engineer went with such a short nub, though, which doesn't mimic the original controller at all. Frankly, once you add a ball top mod with extended shaft, the ColecoVision controllers suddenly become a pleasure to use. The AtGames engineer went in the opposite direction though and made the shaft shorter, which makes the ergonomics far worse. Crazy, really, but again if one assumes that the engineer thought that you were supposed to use the joystick nub with your thumb instead of your fingers, having a shorter shaft suddenly makes more sense. It's still not a good excuse, though.

I'm actually okay with the shorter shaft. That combined with the softer actuation makes it possible for me to use the stick something like a d-pad with my thumb. Would still prefer a modern gamepad, though. :)

So you're saying that due to the shorter joystick nub on the FB controller and using it with your thumb as opposed to your fingers like the original CV controller, that it changes how you hold it in your hands and thus results in it cramping my hands after 5 minutes? :)

That would explain a few things....

It still feels like a terrible controller design all in all, though. Doesn't matter if original or FB, it's bulky and uncomfortable to hold, and the side action buttons are in a terrible location. Whose bright idea was it to put it there and not on the top?

I hope I don't have these issues with the Intelivision FB controllers.....:ponder:

I hope I don't have these issues with the Intelivision FB controllers..... :ponder:

Well, to be fair, the ColecoVision controllers have ergonomic issues (which again, as far as I'm concerned are solved once the shaft is extended and a ball top added), but the Intellivision controllers are completely alien. There have never been controllers quite like them before or since and I think that will be the far bigger adjustment for you.

I received my CV Flashback from Dollar General on Friday. I was enjoying it until just a few minutes ago, when I suddenly started getting nothing but color bars each time I turn it on. Any suggestions?

Seems like AtGames went overboard in mimmicking some of the hardware deficiencies of the ColecoVision and I would say you have either a bad power supply or faulty ram chip!!! :P

All kidding aside, return it to Dollar General for a replacement if the problem persists. Hope you have one local and you don't have to deal with return shipping.