IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Well then, one could simply 3D-print a custom casing, install a mini-TV screen and the CV Flashback motherboard inside...Umm... But then you'd need a set of custom buttons and a D-pad (or mini-joystick) to put into the 3D-printed casing, or else it won't really be portable...Sound like a nice project for an eager beaver, I suppose. :)

I think what would be ideal is a Nintendo DS case

You could put they keypad where the lower screen goes

And use the upper screen space for the actual screen

Well then, one could simply 3D-print a custom casing, install a mini-TV screen and the CV Flashback motherboard inside...

Umm... But then you'd need a set of custom buttons and a D-pad (or mini-joystick) to put into the 3D-printed casing, or else it won't really be portable...

Sound like a nice project for an eager beaver, I suppose. :)

Mini tv screen; like a dvd screen tht gos into a headrest so the back seat people have some entertainment. Did it last winter and it works great, although the power had to come on a millisecond after the unit boots up. AND it is one tiny screen....like about 4.2" or 11 cm, but totally clear and useable.

My DG console that arrived in the mail definitely has a sticker on the box.

Sorry about that batch of Sam's Club units that arrived DOA. That's definitely not a good sign. I should prolly test mine but if I unbox it now it won't be a surpize anymore when I open it Xmas morning... :(

Yeah, the Intelivision Flashback I bought at Sam's Club on Monday turned out to be DOA when I tried it today. I'll have to bring it back tomorrow and hope they have some left.

Heh! Well, for the record, I'm not crazy about the Intelivision controller having not two, but FOUR side buttons on it. Ugh. :?

The TOP left and right buttons are wired together (you can use whichever is more comfortable for a given game). The bottom buttons have independent functions, depending on the game.

The best way to hold the controller - if you're right handed - is cradled in your left hand, with your left thumb available to use either left side button, and your index and middle fingers using the top and bottom right side buttons respectively.

Your right thumb controls the disc.

Your left thumb can be used for keypad presses if needed for a game.

The TOP left and right buttons are wired together (you can use whichever is more comfortable for a given game). The bottom buttons have independent functions, depending on the game.

The best way to hold the controller - if you're right handed - is cradled in your left hand, with your left thumb available to use either left side button, and your index and middle fingers using the top and bottom right side buttons respectively.

Your right thumb controls the disc.

Your left thumb can be used for keypad presses if needed for a game.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. As I said, my Intelivision Flashback was DOA so I have to get a new one tomorrow.

A cart slot or other mods won't really be possible because of the design of the hardware/software. The only mod that might work is someone creating an adapter to use real ColecoVision-compatible controllers on it. It's probably not worth the effort, particularly if there will be a (potential) follow-up in 2015 that will rectify the controller compatibility issues.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it! Side note, any news on the controller knob? And stardust4ever I'd either check it out now or call DG and ask them. I already had to return one. Just saying better safe than sorry.

Edited by thegamezmaster

That's a risk you should not take... even with it being only a $45 risk.

Damaged or Defective Items

If you receive a damaged or defective item, contact a Customer Support Representative within 30 days of delivery at 877-463-1553. Please be prepared to supply the order number and item number from your original confirmation e-mail, as well as your e-mail address and phone number. www.dollargeneral.com will make every reasonable effort to assist you with your return. If you do not contact Customer Support, you are responsible for all return shipping charges.

If there is extensive damage to the carton upon delivery, contact a Customer Support Representative immediately at 877-463-1553. Please have your order number available when you call.

Looks like I've got until the end of November. But if I open it before Xmas, I will spoil the surprise... :ponder:

EDIT: Too late, mom's already hidden it. I'll just take my chances... :P

Edited by stardust4ever

Hey Canadian members :)

Bed, Bath and Beyond have them listed on their website now. I haven't been to one of their stores (it was a suggested ad on my Facebook page today!) but here's the URL:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/colecovision-flashback-classic-game-console/1042999812?Keyword=colecovision

• Like 1

Does the debug screen have a screen position adjustment on it?

It does not. Unfortunately, the display is the x factor here. Based on my testing across various types of displays new and old, positioning and clarity varies dramatically. There's nothing on the Flashback side you can do to fix that.

It does not. Unfortunately, the display is the x factor here. Based on my testing across various types of displays new and old, positioning and clarity varies dramatically. There's nothing on the Flashback side you can do to fix that.

Thanks for the reply. Just don't know what to do about the bars coming up on power up. Is this a problem with the unit or anyone else have theirs do this every time? Don't know whether to just live with it or return. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Edited by thegamezmaster

Thanks for the reply. Just don't know what to do about the bars coming up on power up. Is this a problem with the unit or anyone else have theirs do this every time? Don't know whether to just live with it or return. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

I think you should return it.

Just a quick update for those awaiting the Dollar General version, I saw a Facebook friend of mine is a manager at DG now and asked them about the status of these. She said it was a 'mandate' to put these out tomorrow (11/7) at all stores, no reason to hold them back unless they want to get in trouble. No official word on Black Friday pricing, but she said she'll try to remember to let me know once they get the ad confirmation in store (which it will likely hit the internet first the way things work these days! haha).

Also there is a $5 off $30 for Saturday you can print at their website (http://www2.dollargeneral.com/Ads-and-Promos/Coupons/Pages/index.aspx) or text 5OFF to 34898. I chose the text route as I don't want to install their coupon printer software. Feel free to share this if anyone is following other FB variety threads. For me, the DG version is the best bang for the buck with the addition of Antarctic Adventure, a great game IMO! (The overlays are nice, too, Pixelboy! :) )

• Like 1

OK. I need to know what to do about this Colecovision FB that comes up color bars when powered on. It sometimes (but rarely) advances to the game menu after a few minutes. I bought mine from Dollar General online. Their customer service is not letting me send it back, saying that the fact I am getting color bars means the unit is operational and not defective.

Obviously it is defective, so I'd suggest bypassing their idiocy and buying one locally from Dollar General and return the defective one.

I don't know if you'd be able to get a refund if they have more systems in stock, but if you did get stuck with two of these, you could always sell the 2nd unit. Canadians don't seem to be having much luck locating these so I bet you'd get some takers on the marketplace here.

Edited by Atariboy

OK. I need to know what to do about this Colecovision FB that comes up color bars when powered on. It sometimes (but rarely) advances to the game menu after a few minutes. I bought mine from Dollar General online. Their customer service is not letting me send it back, saying that the fact I am getting color bars means the unit is operational and not defective.

I think you need to say it doesn't power up and leave it at that with them. It's not like they're going to test it. It's clearly defective, no question about it.

My friend who manages a Sam's Club in Ohio says his Sam's finally has CV Flashbacks as of about a week ago. He checked in the computer for my local Sam's and says 16 of them have been in-store for three or four days, but I checked (again) today and they have yet to put them on the floor. He said they may be "up in the steel" somewhere in the store or still haven't been unpacked in back.