IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

When to TRU and they had a huge display of Colecovision Flashbacks and Intelivision Flashbacks. So I took one to the cash register and they wouldn't sell it to me until Sept 22nd!!! I mean seriously? They put up an entire encap of systems and won't sell them for an entire month. How is that going to look? I asked to see the manager and he still wouldn't sell it to me and said he would have someone take down the entire encap of them. He said the store would get fined if they sold one which is complete BS. We will see if that really happens tomorrow. Stupid TRU and their DNS dates. They do this crap with Star Wars stuff all the time and then it sits for years. LAME!

Edited by Master Phruby
  • Like 1

Do we have any idea what other nationwide retailers will have these? Since my local TRU "express" store has NO electronics at all I'm not optimistic. We don't have dollar general or sams club either.

At minimum, Toys R Us, Sam's Club, Dollar General, and Family Dollar. I'm sure it will be at other places like Wal-Mart, but I'll try and get confirmations. Worst case, you can buy it online from one of those retailers that has an online presence.

Does TRU realize that by putting them out early and not letting them being sold, they just piss off the customer? I intend to buy it at Amazon. Just because of their lie about being fined, they lose a customer and $40.

Rules are rules. They accidentally broke street date and the fines are real. It's a common practice. Again, you need to coordinate stock, advertise, select retailers can't have advantages over others (unless they set up a special deal, etc.).

Rules are rules. They accidentally broke street date and the fines are real. It's a common practice. Again, you need to coordinate stock, advertise, select retailers can't have advantages over others (unless they set up a special deal, etc.).

What?!?! The whole "we will get fined" thing is actually real? Seriously!?!!? The TRU I got mine from really didn't give me any slack about it.... just a quick manager override and I was on my way...

How bad is the fine and why so worried about street dates? Isn't AT atleast happy about the fact that they are getting such buzz about the consoles as well as some initial "real world" testing before release?

Yes, fines for this type of thing are real, though I don't have specifics of what AtGames has in place or would even do so against a retailer like Toys R Us. Again, there is considerable planning with this stuff and it's not a simple matter of "shelve them when you get them." Both sides coordinate release dates, advertising, etc., plus all retailers need to have stock in place at the same time so one retailer doesn't get any type of preferential treatment. I don't think it's a major deal in this case, but it does cause various issues nevertheless.

Thanks for the clarification Bill. You have been beyond generous and invaluable in providing us great info and updates.

Bottom line, all I want is for atgames to get my money and for me to get my hands on those sweet machines!

yeah Thanks Bill :thumbsup:

on the way to my neice's they're building a Dollar General \o/ I'm not sure what release is "the best" is there a who gets what version post someplace I might have missed ?

Dollar General get's the extra homebrew is that correct ?

on the way to my neice's they're building a Dollar General \o/ I'm not sure what release is "the best" is there a who gets what version post someplace I might have missed ?

That's a good question.... is there a list or something that compares the differences between all the different variations of both the coleco and intv flashbacks?

Dollar General gets the extra game which is Antarctic Adventure.

Sam's Club get the extra overlays of which I don't think there has been mention of which one's they are.

Toy 'R Us get the standard version.

Yes, am talking about the two different systems within the same paragraph, but each are discrete as they are properly referenced and separated by periods. :)

The Intv FB Debug menu can be activated 3 different ways is all

Ooooohhh, I've figured out what I misunderstood now. I interpreted "conversely" to mean "unlike [all of] what's described in the previous paragraph" rather than your intended "unlike the CV FB's single method of entry to the debug/test mode." Thus, I read the bit about top left + bottom right and top right + bottom left as conflicts to what was previously stated, rather than as an addendum to it. Okay, all is clear now. :)

Still haven't figured out how to bring up the Debug screen on the Atari FB5 yet either.

Hmm, so the FB4's "hold Start + Select while booting" method doesn't work on FB5 as well? That's unexpected. Still, if both the CV FB and INTV FB are Titan-based, and the Atari FB3 + FB4 were Titan-based, and the Atari FB5 still uses an arcade-mimic Space Invaders port that looks identical to the one on the FB4, the chances are pretty high that it's Titan-based as well. But, admittedly, it would still be nice to have the debug/test mode entry method down for FB5.

How bad is the fine and why so worried about street dates?

Some of the accounts from people who have tried to get CV and/or INTV Flashbacks (i.e., from earlier in this thread, in the corresponding Intellivision thread, and maybe also in the "Hunt for [X] Flashback" threads) from Toys 'R Us have cited fine values in the low thousands of dollars. Regarding the value of a set street date, it's about occupying as much consumer mindshare as possible, to generate greater demand. If all your marketing focuses on one point, then that point becomes a sort of critical mass for interest from potential customers. If you instead have things happening piecemeal, then what happens is that while hype builds in some areas, hype dissipates in others--people sometimes give up when they can't find something right away. Sure, special-interest groups like us don't, but we're also not the majority of the customer base. Here's one way to think about it: have you ever thought, "Hey, I should go see that new movie!", but then you couldn't for some reason or another, and then you just forgot about it entirely?

That's a good question.... is there a list or something that compares the differences between all the different variations of both the coleco and intv flashbacks?

Here's a summary of what we know so far (full game lists at Bill's Armchair Arcade site):

ColecoVision Flashback (Titan ARM processor)

- base overlay set: Ken Uston Blackjack/Poker, Fortune Builder, The Dam Busters, War Room

- Dollar General's additional game: Antarctic Adventure

- Sam's Club's additional overlays: [unknown]

- debug/test mode entry method: hold both side buttons on the controller while booting

Intellivision Flashback

- base overlay set: Astrosmash, Buzz Bombers, Crown of Kings (AD&D: Cloudy Mountain), Minotaur (AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin), Night Stalker, Space Hawk, Space Spartans, Utopia, Word Fun, World Championship Baseball

- Dollar General's additional game: [Major/Big League] Baseball

- Sam's Club's additional overlays: [unknown]

- debug/test mode entry method: hold any two side buttons on the controller, not including "top left + top right," while booting

We don't know anything yet about the alternate editions for the Atari Flashback 5 or the 2014 Sega Genesis Classic Game Console (and I think Bill said the 2014 Sega Genesis Ultimate Portable had no alternate editions).

onmode-ky

• Like 3

Even though it's only physically "available" in the U.S., won't Toys R Us and maybe Amazon ship them to Canada on or after release day?

Not sure about Amazon, but I'm pretty sure toysrus.com and toysrus.ca are two distinct entities when it comes to managing and shipping toys to customers, and toysrus.com doesn't ship to Canadian addresses. I could be wrong though...

Not sure about Amazon, but I'm pretty sure toysrus.com and toysrus.ca are two distinct entities when it comes to managing and shipping toys to customers, and toysrus.com doesn't ship to Canadian addresses. I could be wrong though...

That's correct - TRU US does not ship to Canada. Amazon.com likely won't either.