IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Any word yet on Dollar General release dates?

I stopped in to two different Dollar Generals over the weekend and saw no signs of anything remotely close to a Flashback system. Nor a place where they could be marketed. Toy section maybe? There's not much of an electronic section to speak of... a small 4-sided island is all I saw, with an interesting (in a good way) selection of $6 CD's on the top shelf. :lol:

Dollar General is like the Wal★Mart® for rednecks who are too poor to shop at Wal★Mart®.

Don't mean to disrespect anyone but every poe-dunk town in the South has a Dollar General, even those too small to support a Wal★Mart®.

That's why I find it so odd that Dollar General is getting an exclusive deal. There is literally nothing that interests me in that store.

• Like 1

Dollar General is like the Wal★Mart® for rednecks who are too poor to shop at Wal★Mart®.

Don't mean to disrespect anyone but every poe-dunk town in the South has a Dollar General, even those too small to support a Wal★Mart®.

That's why I find it so odd that Dollar General is getting an exclusive deal. There is literally nothing that interests me in that store.

If you extend your "poor redneck" idea, people who can't afford several hundred dollars for a console (previous or current) and internet connection should be able to afford a $40 Flashback and will see additional value with all the pre-loaded games. To go one step further, BITD, most people I knew (granted, my formative years were in a small Virginia town filled with "poor rednecks") who had a Colecovision were of lower socioeconomic class because post-crash the CVs were being blown out at greatly discounted prices in the local shops (basically the only consoles sold in town were the Atari 2600, the Intellivision, and the Colecovision - nothing like a 5200 or Vectrex ever appeared anywhere close geographically...in fact, I got my CV at launch and had to get my parents to drive to another city about 45 minutes away). Honestly, when South Park made fun of Colecovision by showing it in Kenny's house, I wondered if they, too, had had a similar experience.

For the record, most people I see in my local DGs are either semi-urbanized African-Americans or Hispanic/Latino/Lantina. Often I am the only Caucasian person in the store.

For what it's worth, the Sunset Hills, Mo TRU store (St. Louis) has the units on hand but said they wouldn't sell them until October 1st. No problems, and they were nice enough about it, but if I can get it for the same price on the same date at another store with another (personal favorite) game, then they won't be getting my business. Family Dollar will. Personally, I'd think an advance street date would be a great perk for TRU since they don't get the 'bonus' items. Cest la vie.

Also, I'll likely hold off on the Intv unit & FB5 as I seem to recall Family Dollar typically having the latest PNP Flashbacks on Black Friday at around $25 in years gone by. :) Not saying that will be the case again, but simply speculating and hoping.

I tried to be nice today, and mail a couple of extras I had to my "Friends in Canada." The post office sold me a shipping box 15X12X10. The Flashback fit perfectly. Then when I went to mail them, they told me that the box was too big to ship first class, that it was too big by one friggin' inch!! That one inch made the shipping jump from $25 to $36. Of course, they don't sell a box 1 inch less in height. They only sell a box, that forces you to use the more expensive shipping.

So, I took it back, hacked off 2 inches in height, taped it back up, so it looks like a terrosist's bomb, and shipped them out @ $25 to Canada!

My point in this rant is, if you do ship these to Canada, to get the cheapest shipping, keep the shipping box under 4 lbs, (mine weighed 3.6 with bubble wrap) and keep the dimensions of the shipping box under 36 inches total, to get the $25 shipping to anywhere in Canada from the U.S.

• Like 6

AGH! This is just like 7th grade, when one of the other kids on the bus had a Colecovision and I didn't...ALL OVER AGAIN! :_(

I'm feeling that too, but in less than a month, I'll have my very own Colecovision, complete with sixty games! More than a shirt full and WAY more than anyone else I knew at the time had or could afford. That's like $1,800 worth of software, which in 1983, was more like $4,300 in today's money! Vengeance is ours.

• Like 4

i start playing colecovision with my uncle when i was 7 years old than the crash my dad was working at canadian tire when they discontinued the colecovision adams so he bought one for almost nothing and i still have it today and still working as a new the adam computer was made to work forever

• Like 2

Mind sharing some thoughts on the unit? What do you like and what isn't quite up to par?

I like the appearance, it's very easy to select and play a game, pressing reset keeps the last game so you can explore each game one by one.

The video quality is very good (at least with my TV) somehow tiny colour spots appear in letters/graphics in certain games, also just today noticed that sprites aren't clipped, instead when going a pixel beyond any edge of screen them simply disappear.

The sound isn't the same, mainly more acute, in Frenzy the Game Over music changed basses to white noise (also notorious with Princess Quest)

I can live with the switched buttons though and the controllers feeling is very comfortable, I played Zaxxon, Venture and Frenzy several hours last night :D

It's very very comfortable to play the games without switching cartridges.

I'm enjoying it :)

It's a good start point, and If AtGames can overcome these little bugs I could replace the "good" with "awesome" ;)

Does TRU realize that by putting them out early and not letting them being sold, they just piss off the customer? I intend to buy it at Amazon. Just because of their lie about being fined, they lose a customer and $40.

Not quite sure why you think the manager was lying to you. Manufactures are the ones who set restrictions on the sale dates, not the stores. If stores break those dates, they are subject to fines. Is it likely that AtGames is going to go after a TRU location? Likely not, but it's in TRU's best interest to keep to those dates. In your case, someone at the store didn't realize the items weren't for sale yet and chose to set up the display. It was a simple mistake and there's no reason to get all bent out of shape about it.

• Like 1

i think there still a lot of adam computer out there and they still work

the colecovision console have more problem and need more love to stay alive

The initial batch of Adam's were quite faulty and the data drives - especially the early ones - were terribly unreliable. Towards the end, Coleco definitely got their act together, but by then it was too late.

I never had or particularly wanted an ADAM, but the platform definitely has associations with hardware failure. The fact that there's so little written about it outside of the wikipedia article doesn't help. It would be neat to see some of the spiffier ADAM software built in to a future Colecovision Flashback or similar product.

Bill, it's September now. Can you say anything about the upcoming digital releases to go along with the Flashback hardware? :-)