IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Wish I had a Dollar General, I'm in southern california and there don't appear to be any nearby.

Honestly you're not missing much, the extra game on CV or INTV is not a big deal. I was going to say that the extra overlays from Sam's Club were a better value, but then I read that they don't fit in the original controllers!

Wish I had a Dollar General, I'm in southern california and there don't appear to be any nearby.

There have some stores around where I live, IE, Inland Empire area, and there is also their free shipping option, see my original post above!

Approximately where in SoCal are you at?

Honestly you're not missing much, the extra game on CV or INTV is not a big deal. I was going to say that the extra overlays from Sam's Club were a better value, but then I read that they don't fit in the original controllers!

The ColecoVision Flashback exclusive game, Antarctic Adventure, is a much bigger deal and both are way better than those extra overlays!

Edited by TrekkiELO

There have some stores around where I live, IE, Inland Empire area, and there is also their free shipping option, see my original post above!

I didn't realize I could order off their site, maybe that is a viable option.

I'm in Santa Clarita, closest one to me is apparently in Palmdale, not worth the drive or gas for the extra game.

I don't have the original controllers but that is a bummer. Don't have a Sam's Club memberhip either hahahah.

The ColecoVision Flashback exclusive game, Antarctic Adventure, is a much bigger deal and both are way better than those extra overlays!

Is it really that great of a game?

• Like 1

To be clear - this is NOT a Coleco-on-a-chip and you can't just play arbitrary ROMs on it. You MIGHT be able to, some might work, some might not. But it's an ARM processor running what is likely a custom emulator (unsure what it's based off of, but almost certainly tailored to their game selection and hardware). So yeah, it's possible other ROMs could be made to work but who knows. There is no interface to hook them into, without some serious electronics skills. This is not a 2600 FB2 with pins nicely laid out for you. I suspect we're talking globbed chips and everything. No "data in" lines to even hook into.

It's even possible they've hard-coded the ROM names into the emulator itself or something, or using a really bizarre scheme of "copy protection". Kinda like the NeoGeoX. And given the homebrew on it, I can see a point in trying. Not every homebrew is floating around the Internets freely. So while I'm sure some will take a crack at it just for fun, don't get any hopes up about playing other ROMs on one of these, unless and until At Games releases another version with either a cart port or an SD slot.

Thanks. When I saw video of this being played on gamester81's YT channel, I thought they didn't look perfect. I may still pick one up. The controller thing sucks though. I have a coleco keypad that you can plug a 2600 stick into so I usually use a 2600 joystick on my real ColecoVision (when it's working).

Are they in the DG already? I live like 4 blocks from a Dollar General. I'll have to check it out. Gamester81 said this wouldn't be in the DG until October.

I didn't realize I could order off their site, maybe that is a viable option.

I'm in Santa Clarita, closest one to me is apparently in Palmdale, not worth the drive or gas for the extra game.

I don't have the original controllers but that is a bummer. Don't have a Sam's Club memberhip either hahahah.

Is it really that great of a game?

Don't know, never owned/played it back around 1983-1984 or since when I use ta own a ColecoVision, saw its YouTube video in these forums, this is my reason for wanting the one with Antarctic Adventure, same price anyway, might as well get an extra game!

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

I am pretty sure the only store that has mention of 22nd release date is Toys R Us. The others most likely have the originally reported release date of October 1.

It would make sense that Toys R Us would get an early release date since the other stores have some fancy extra that would make people want to buy those more than the Toys R Us version.

They're in stores and on shelves at Toys R Us now. I had to ask them to fetch the ColecoVision units (shelf space was tight) but I got one of each and cancelled my online order. I have some work to do but will hook things up during a break. The display cartons are eye catching and fun, as we expected. The consoles themselves are featherlight and tiny.

It's a complex undertaking to make products like this, so I don't plan on ripping apart every little inaccuracy or compromise that I see. I'm thrilled to see Atari, Coleco, Intellivision, and Genesis all on store shelves again!

• Like 2

I am pretty sure the only store that has mention of 22nd release date is Toys R Us. The others most likely have the originally reported release date of October 1.

It would make sense that Toys R Us would get an early release date since the other stores have some fancy extra that would make people want to buy those more than the Toys R Us version.

I know. I wasn't just going to Sam's for Flashbacks. Hell i still haven't seen a PS4 in there.

In one direction, I have a Family Dollar maybe a quarter mile from my house, and in the other, a Dollar General around 2 miles away. I dropped by both today to make inquiries about Flashback shipments, and neither manager knew anything. At both stores they keep Flashbacks behind the counter. FD had Sega Genesis models and one Flashback 4 (not a typo), and DG had the handheld Sega units and also one Flashback 4. Everything still priced at $40.

Given Dollar General's track record with Flashbacks, I will be curious to see if they sell any steeply discounted for Black Friday this year.

In one direction, I have a Family Dollar maybe a quarter mile from my house, and in the other, a Dollar General around 2 miles away. I dropped by both today to make inquiries about Flashback shipments, and neither manager knew anything. At both stores they keep Flashbacks behind the counter. FD had Sega Genesis models and one Flashback 4 (not a typo), and DG had the handheld Sega units and also one Flashback 4. Everything still priced at $40.

Given Dollar General's track record with Flashbacks, I will be curious to see if they sell any steeply discounted for Black Friday this year.

I hope DG by my house gets them in sometime. Discount and sellout stores are not known for there ability to push the latest-and-greatest, brand-spanking-new stock.

I banking on it. Last year the Flashback line was $28 a few times, including pre-Black Friday sales if memory serves correctly. I'll likely give in ASAP on the Coleco version, but hold off on the others to see what the holiday sales bring. :)

• Like 1

went to Toys R Us today .... they had the Atari-FB5 & INTV -FB but no CV-FB units .... the sales clerk there said they hadn't shipped to that store yet but didn't know why ....

she seemed to think the Atari-FB5 was same as previous model

I need to find out when construction is complete on that DG store .....

Despite on Monday the store telling me it won't be out till the first of October, I decided to check anyways and am glad I did. All the Flash Backs were out. Didn't grow up with Atari, Intellivision, or Coleco, but man was it mind blowing to see a Sega Genesis system on sale in 2014. Got my Coleco today, really excited to try it out.

• Like 2

The manual says to set your TV to 4:3 or native. It looks fine on my 16:9 plasma. Do you have a picture of what happens to yours? Is it stretched out, or just small?

I remember the original Colecovision output did not go edge to edge, probably because of concern about overscan on thre CRTs of the day. The result was a smallish picture and big margins on the sides, top, and bottom, just like with the 7800.

The manual says to set your TV to 4:3 or native. It looks fine on my 16:9 plasma. Do you have a picture of what happens to yours? Is it stretched out, or just small?

I remember the original Colecovision output did not go edge to edge, probably because of concern about overscan on thre CRTs of the day. The result was a smallish picture and big margins on the sides, top, and bottom, just like with the 7800.

I put that in the manual. The AtGames preference is to just use 16:9 (which is why the Intellivision and Atari manuals state that - I think the Sega one does too; I didn't work on those), but the original aspect ratios were more like 4:3. 16:9 doesn't "do" anything, but the picture is obviously a little more stretched than it would normally be. With chunky pixels, it's not that big of a deal, but I wanted to stress authenticity.

And yes, your assumption is correct, even at 4:3 it doesn't necessarily fill the screen on all displays. That also varies by display type. Using it on certain CRTs and the overscan (particularly on the menu) is rather aggressive. There's not necessarily consistency in that regard.