IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

because my search was coming up empty I decided to open up the thing to see what size the board was and whatever else I could see:

Flash Memory: VF1602C(16Mbit x 16)
SDRAM: M12L16161A(512K x 16bit x2 banks)
I'm used to 8 bits making a byte so some of my numbers may be off since it looks like this may be running off of 16 bits.
Apologies if I seem to be overusing some video editing features, I think I got carried away with that a bit.
The case seems a bit large for the parts contained. almost looks like it could have been cut in half lengthwise and still held everything together, the power plug is on the side due to the power/reset switch and LED board being small.
The 9 connected wires in the controller do all seem to be necessary, one of them does connect to a trace that goes behind the other connections to ensure the traces don't cross.
wish my camera would have taken better video/pictures, but oh well.
Edited by thucom

Here is my review over the new ColecoVision Flashback. Overall I think it's worth the $40 price tag for it. I just really wish the controllers were compatible with the original CV and vice versa. http://gamester81.com/new-colecovision-flashback-system-review/

Very disappointed to learn that the controllers will not work with the original console. I thought this exact feature had been hyped all along. :(

This was the only reason I still planned on getting one even after learning about the lack of Nintendo, Sega, and other licensed titles.

I'll wait for the next version. Hopefully they make the controllers compatible or add a cartridge slot.

Either of those enhancements at a $40 (or even $50-80) price point would make it a no brainer impulse buy for me.

^^ If everyone waits for a "next" version, there won't be one... :sad:

Or they will make a sequel Flashback that the only difference is a few games and that's it. That's what I never understood. It seems an even better version of the Flashback could have been originally made(atari, coleco, inty, anything) with taking a bit more input from atariage's forums.

Or they will make a sequel Flashback that the only difference is a few games and that's it. That's what I never understood. It seems an even better version of the Flashback could have been originally made(atari, coleco, inty, anything) with taking a bit more input from atariage's forums.

That really has nothing to do with it, honestly. While they definitely take suggestions and try to implement improvements, etc., there is always a time and cost constraint. Margins are thin at ~$40, and there's really no ability to increase the price point to implement every nice-to-have feature or needed improvement. As always, if you want the best, you get the original hardware and set up the system exactly as you'd like it, with whatever mods or additions you deem necessary. It will cost more and present its own challenges, but that's really the only way to get no compromises. For various reasons, you can't expect the same thing from a product like this.

• Like 1

That really has nothing to do with it, honestly. While they definitely take suggestions and try to implement improvements, etc., there is always a time and cost constraint. Margins are thin at ~$40, and there's really no ability to increase the price point to implement every nice-to-have feature or needed improvement. As always, if you want the best, you get the original hardware and set up the system exactly as you'd like it, with whatever mods or additions you deem necessary. It will cost more and present its own challenges, but that's really the only way to get no compromises. For various reasons, you can't expect the same thing from a product like this.

Honestly my only expectation was that the controllers would be interchangeable with the original and I only had that expectation because the initial info that trickled out talked about it like it was a locked in feature.

Working for a company that makes custom hardware and software I understand cost and time constraints.

I'm also willing to invest in a product that is not 100% what I want in the hopes a follow up will come along to close the gap.

I'm not trying to troll or hate on the product. I just wanted to make it clear that me not purchasing it isn't because I'm not interested at all. It's because I'm not interested in the current package being offered.

That's fair, and yes, if not for an engineering misunderstanding/oversight, both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashback controllers would be cross-compatible. That is again the target for any potential future versions. The good news is that the homebrew Intellivision adapter is fairly inexpensive, while, in my opinion, the ColecoVision controllers are not worth using on the originals anyway, possible future homebrew adapter or not.

That's fair, and yes, if not for an engineering misunderstanding/oversight, both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashback controllers would be cross-compatible. That is again the target for any potential future versions. The good news is that the homebrew Intellivision adapter is fairly inexpensive, while, in my opinion, the ColecoVision controllers are not worth using on the originals anyway, possible future homebrew adapter or not.

Bill, are you able to confirm that the Dollar General and Sam's Club versions of the Flashbacks will be out on Wed? I've heard some people mention they have checked at both locations and been told either they know nothing about it (in the case of the former) or it's not even listed on their computers (in the case of the later). I've been holding out on the Sam's Club versions of the Intelivsion and Colecovision Flashbacks for the extra overlays and I'd like to know how much longer I gotta wait. Thanks. :)

I haven't been told of any delays with the Sam's Club or Dollar General versions, but it's certainly possible they have different release dates. I simply don't know.

No worries, I understand, thanks for the quick post. I'll head into my local SC during lunch on Thursday (give it a extra day) and see what I can find. No idea where there might even BE in that monster of a store. :P

Ultimately the CVFB is a step in the right direction and I applaud AtGames for taking the chance on the ColecoVision line and releasing a commercial product that can only prove what a wonderful game system the CV was and still is to this day. Of course I would have loved, like others, to have seen a "better" overall product with cross compatibility of the controllers, improved emulation and some other odds and ends... but for only $40 we still are getting a pretty damn nice product that hopefully will be improved upon in the future with further releases as has been done with the Atari FBs.

I have to admit to still being on the fence concerning purchasing one of the variations (probably the TrU version since I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket) and if I do, it will solely be to show my support and appreciation to AtGames for giving the CV some much needed commercial love and with the hope that they will continue to improve upon it in future iterations. Hopefully some of the suggestions that have been made here on these forums can be considered as well... of course, depending on the almighty price point.

Gotta say (as someone who is not a true collector of the system) and who has played the thing for a few weeks now, that my biggest disappointment, by far - is the fact there's no built-in storage for the controllers! :lol:

given the amount of empty space on the inside of it this may be the biggest oversight in design. You might be able to cut a hole in the top and store one controller in it as it stands. I think the av cord might be in the way or the controller just a tad too wide for that.

The case seems a bit large for the parts contained. almost looks like it could have been cut in half lengthwise and still held everything together, the power plug is on the side due to the power/reset switch and LED board being small.

Any smaller and it's going to be yanked off a shelf during gameplay, or the weight of the controllers and cord could pull it off.

I remember the first time I opened our 2600 and saw how empty it was inside...

Edited by frank_c

@thucom @franc_c

As for microconsoles being lightweight and even smaller PCBs inside, you'd think they could add a piece of sheet metal to the underside to give it some weight, along with premium rubber pads. NES Advantage and all the other console joysticks back in the day used steel plates for added stability.

Again, we're supporting the idea, the concept of nostalgia beyond the usual suspects of Atari and Sega. That's worth supporting in a first iteration, particularly when obvious care is being taken in many areas. No support, ANY future products of any significance are far less likely.

Totally agree, well said.

I too wish original controller compatibilty, have two Coleco Super Actions that did not work. Tempted to make an adapter cable to correct the pinouts. Wishful thinking of the Genesis controllers working as well and not just one fire button, perhaps a mod to a Genesis gamepad.

Edited by CRTGAMER

Yeah, its sad because ebay has declared war on canadian consumers for some unknown reason with their "Global Shipping Program"

Can't even consider buying anything from a USA Seller anymore because the shipping cost is astronomical.

Funny thing is you can buy stuff from China for 99 Cents and it includes free shipping.

????? I can't send a pack of gum to the usa for less than 3$.