IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

It would kill the nostalgia but having just a coleco controller with all the games in it would be kind of nice. (Only cause my flashback isn't hooked up all the time and I'm kind of lazy to hook it up).

Kind of like this C64 tv unit:

I'm sure they could, as they create the keychain friendly Nano: http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Nano_Series , but I have to admit, I prefer the discrete components. I think the goal for most of us is to have improvements in AtGames' controller design and to be able to fulfill the original promise of cross compatibility in the next iteration of the ColecoVision Flashback. That wouldn't happen if they switched to the all-in-one model.

By the way, I reviewed that C-64 DTV back in 2004 and liked it a great deal (particularly in comparison to the other release at the time, the original Atari Flashback), but was never a fan of that joystick design (and it was obviously not even as good as the original inspiration). That was a case where if it were a tiny console that you could plug any controller into, it would have indeed been ideal, since the actual C-64 hardware recreation was so spot on. Of course it's hackable and all that, but it still would have been nice to have the separate components by default.

I'm sure they could, as they create the keychain friendly Nano: http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Nano_Series , but I have to admit, I prefer the discrete components. I think the goal for most of us is to have improvements in AtGames' controller design and to be able to fulfill the original promise of cross compatibility in the next iteration of the ColecoVision Flashback. That wouldn't happen if they switched to the all-in-one model.

By the way, I reviewed that C-64 DTV back in 2004 and liked it a great deal (particularly in comparison to the other release at the time, the original Atari Flashback), but was never a fan of that joystick design (and it was obviously not even as good as the original inspiration). That was a case where if it were a tiny console that you could plug any controller into, it would have indeed been ideal, since the actual C-64 hardware recreation was so spot on. Of course it's hackable and all that, but it still would have been nice to have the separate components by default.

Yeah it was just a thought.

I totally agree about the C64 joystick...I didnt like the controller but the emulation and games were almost perfect. I still have it somewhere. :P

Those go for big money these days also. I always wanted one but didn't want to pay the high prices.

I actually have two, both in the original packaging. One I got for myself and one I got for a future hack. I'm unlikely to do the latter, so I'd certainly be willing to sell it for just below going rate if anyone were interested.

I just read that Canada is now the 58th country to get Spotify. I thought of you and your fellow Canadians who want the Flashbacks when I read that. :-(

wth is spotify?

Sorry just had to ask. If the average joe don't know what it is, then is it really that big of a deal? But yeah that kind of sucks though. Tons of promotions and products sold in the USA leave Canadians high and dry. But then, you guys have 1/10th the population. Still that's like five states worth of revenue (technically seven) that companies are missing out on by not marketing in Canada. If as a CEO I had the opportunity to include Canada and expand my market and potential sales by 10%, with little overhead, hell yeah I'd do it.

wth is spotify?

Sorry just had to ask. If the average joe don't know what it is, then is it really that big of a deal? But yeah that kind of sucks though. Tons of promotions and products sold in the USA leave Canadians high and dry. But then, you guys have 1/10th the population. Still that's like five states worth of revenue (technically seven) that companies are missing out on by not marketing in Canada. If as a CEO I had the opportunity to include Canada and expand my market and potential sales by 10%, with little overhead, hell yeah I'd do it.

As everyone can see on this forum, there's big interest in the CV Flashback and the CV in general in Canada. Big mistake I think by AT Games to ignore us up here. Big mistake.

Ok fellow Canucks, I was able to order 2 units from the TRU (.com) web site... seems that they use a third party ("i-Parcel"...?) to process international shipments. Problems occurred when I tried to pay via MasterCard, but when I switched payment method to PayPal, all seemed to work fine. They converted into Canadian dollars, added international shipping, plus tax (I assume GST). So in Canadian dollars it was 2 units at $46.03 each, plus $29.13 shipping and $12.57 tax, for a grand total of $133.76. They gave me an order number and will email me with status updates. The only thing I was not informed of is what courier they use. Regardless there will likely be a duty charge on top of everything when it arrives.

I hope this is really happening :-)

One of these is for yours truly and one is a gift.

Tons of promotions and products sold in the USA leave Canadians high and dry. But then, you guys have 1/10th the population. Still that's like five states worth of revenue (technically seven) that companies are missing out on by not marketing in Canada. If as a CEO I had the opportunity to include Canada and expand my market and potential sales by 10%, with little overhead, hell yeah I'd do it.

Sales go up by 10%, but your costs can balloon. Sometimes it's distribution or our tax system, but the bulk of it is the language issue - all retail products in Canada must be dual-labelled. Translating the box and instructions for a FB is NOT trivial, never mind having a separate layout and print run of them as well. When the margins are small (as they would be at $40), that eats into your profit damned fast.

Keep up with the updates on locations, everyone. As a Canadian I figured my only hope was to be raped with shipping costs, but now that the Royals are in the real post-season I'll be heading to KC on Saturday. Hoping like mad to get the DG version without having to hit up 20 stores.

No luck at mine. Called this morning and they said they didn't have them in and should be in in the next couple of weeks. Made my day suck!

Yesterday I just got out of the hospital from Colon Surgery I had the previous week. And today is October 1st, yay! :) Sadly I'm under no condition to be driving around in vain for one of these DGCVFB units (Dollar Geveral ColecoVision FlashBack) with the pain meds and all. I had a feeling many locations porobably wouldn't be getting them in on time.

No bother to get it really soon either way, as I plan on saving it for Christmas morning anyhow. But I do plan on buying local rather than through their website if at all possible. There is a Dollar General literally a quarter mile from my house.

Anyone get one from Dollar General yet?

/ready for a little road trip

I checked three Dollar Generals in Birmingham Alabama and surrounding areas today. The employees were still all clueless about the products. I may end up waiting until black friday to buy one or both. Provided the stock lasts, AtGames stuff usually gets a $10usd discount that day, or it has for the last couple of years at least. I got my Genesis hand-held for $30 that way, although I wouldn't recommend it! Shopping is a mess that day.

I called the Dollar General in my area and they still had no idea about it. They told me they get stuff in every few weeks and to check in a couple of weeks.

Not sure if I want to get this console again just for the extra game. I love Antarctic Adventure but with the emulation thats off and the poor controls it might not even be playable.

I called the Dollar General in my area and they still had no idea about it. They told me they get stuff in every few weeks and to check in a couple of weeks.

Not sure if I want to get this console again just for the extra game. I love Antarctic Adventure but with the emulation thats off and the poor controls it might not even be playable.

Got one today at Toys R Us (with overlays) and it is a nice game box. Hooked it to a 25" tv and the game select screen was kinda sketchy, but the games themselves were very acceptable considering it is ColecoVision quality. THEN I hooked it up to the 32" sharp flatscreen, man what a difference! Game select screen was almost perfect and the games came thru even better than the 25" GE i had tried. SO, I am happy with the picture quality and the controllers worked good also.

Apparently one can have Toys R Us send to Canada if you pay with paypal.....good. NOW......IF our friends in Europe desire this console, I will purchase one and send it to you for free; you pay my price of $40 US +$5 + 6% sales tax for Michigan AND the shipping to you via USPS int'l mail. YOU will have to pay with Western Union which I have found to be a convenient and safe way to pay quick and easy; have used it to Canada, Uruguay, Italy, France and it worked great. I think my reputation stands on it own that you will not get taken advantage of. I am not going to buy quantity and get stick with them, but they should be available in smaller amounts, like 1 or 2 and then buy a few more, etc so that i can send them on to ya'll. Send me message here on AtariAge

• Like 1

No luck at Dollar General where I live. Then I checked Walgreens and Family Dollar: none. There's a Toys R Us on the north side of Milwaukee that has them but the area is full of crime. I figured the heck with it and ordered it online. From what I pay for gas to drive roundtrip, 30 miles, that's around $10-12, plus $40 for the flashback that's around $50-60 total. That's about what you'd pay for online.

I have a friend who is a manager at a Sam's Club (Cleveland, OH area). He said that just today the CV Flashbacks showed up in his computer for the store he works at. I believe he said they were supposed to have 16 tomorrow. He also checked my local store (Citrus Heights, CA) and it did not indicate any arriving here yet.

Okay, so I picked up 2 units today at the local Toys R Us. They hadn't even put them out yet and I had to prove to them that they did indeed have it in stock

post-32738-0-93535300-1412217458_thumb.jpg

Flipper Slipper looks really good

post-32738-0-75011400-1412217498_thumb.jpg

Also was able to grab one of the shipping boxes the units came in as well. :)

post-32738-0-01840500-1412217511_thumb.jpg

So, here are my thoughts. Overall, very happy.

It looks fantastic and I'd give it a 9/10 for overall cosmetics.

Gameplay is a little hit and miss. I haven't played all of the individual games but I found that any game that requires quick trigger movements were almost unplayable. The worst offender was Dragonfire - there's just an ever so slight delay on the buttons that makes it near impossible to get over the drawbridge in the first scene. Others games, not that noticeable and if buttons are not a part of gameplay, even better.

Umm, the controllers again could use a little tweeking, maybe even little halfmoons in the directional circle to sorta clean up the issue of going in diagonal versus straight left, right, down or up. Pretty minor but there you go. Love the button keypad feel.

Cord extensions or longer cords in general would be nice too but maybe for the second iteration. Wireless? HDMI output would be awesome too.

What else? If I had my dream flashback, maybe something like what was done on atari rehashes years ago on the console systems where you could play some commercials in a menu screen, box art or maybe have the stories that were found in the instructions in the original releases - you know, basically giving the background of the game and what you are doing.

Like I said, that which was done right, bravo!!!! Just a few things are needed to make the experience that much better. I bought 2 and I thought about buying an intellivision one as well but the game selection on that was awful. The game content on the CVFB is way too cool.

If you haven't bought, get one.

Gameplay is a little hit and miss. I haven't played all of the individual games but I found that any game that requires quick trigger movements were almost unplayable. The worst offender was Dragonfire - there's just an ever so slight delay on the buttons that makes it near impossible to get over the drawbridge in the first scene. Others games, not that noticeable and if buttons are not a part of gameplay, even better.

How bad is the lag? It can really make or break a gaming experience. Did you try playing on a CRT to rule out LCD display lag?

A 2003 Ford Focus.

My mom once had an old Ford Taurus from that era that really sucked gas for it's size. Didn't guzzle quite as much gas as the old 1993 Buik LeSabre Land Yacht my dad owned before he passed, but it sure didn't ride like one. She now has a 2011 Ford Focus that gets pretty good mileage now.

The Caliber (really it's a wagon that's shaped like a small SUV but it has a four-banger and a CVT in it) has a small engine so it has good mileage, but somewhat mediocre acceleration. Gotta step heavy on the gas before it really gets up and goes...

Edited by stardust4ever