IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Starting today, Colecovision and Intellivision flashbacks are now $20 at Dollar General in store or on line.

Hmmm...$10 each for 2 extra replacement controllers; almost worth it, but I've already fallen back on using my real Colecovision with the Atarimax Ultimate SD. It was great to check out the cool homebrews, and I can still play them from time to time as long as my one working controller continues, or maybe eventually get them on the SD anyway.

I paid 40 bucks, and I'm OK with that; still hoping they improve and rerelease it.

• Like 2

Alright guys for $20 I'll bite.

Just went halfsies with MagnaFarce since if you buy 2 shipping is free.

Came to $43 after tax for two of em. Not a bad deal at all.

Based on the feedback here I'll probably just take it out to test it then put it back in the package.

• Like 1

Hmmm...$10 each for 2 extra replacement controllers; almost worth it, but I've already fallen back on using my real Colecovision with the Atarimax Ultimate SD. It was great to check out the cool homebrews, and I can still play them from time to time as long as my one working controller continues, or maybe eventually get them on the SD anyway.

I paid 40 bucks, and I'm OK with that; still hoping they improve and rerelease it.

Remember, the ATgames controllers don't work with a real Coleco...

An update... I went to another Dollar General today and they scanned at $20 a piece.

I'm not sure if this news that the Colecos are cheap is good or not. If they've dropped the prices because they weren't selling well, that isn't a good sign. I need to check back and see if that Star Wars thingy is slashed. It was $20 last time; I'll bite at ten.

• Like 1

If they had similar production runs and were bought in similar amounts, I imagine that you can solely thank its greater success back in the day that the Intellivision enjoyed, its much longer lifespan, and its regular visibility after its death for contributing to it selling out earlier.

The amount of Intellivision Flashbacks that have been acquired to serve as controller replacements via the use of an adapter is surely minimal and a non-factor. The amount of sales that occurred due to that can be counted in the dozens, not the thousands.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

If they had similar production runs and were bought in similar amounts, I imagine that you can solely thank its greater success back in the day that the Intellivision enjoyed, its much longer lifespan, and its regular visibility after its death for contributing to it selling out earlier.

The amount of Intellivision Flashbacks that have been acquired to serve as controller replacements via the use of an adapter is surely minimal and a non-factor. The amount of sales that occurred due to that can be counted in the dozens, not the thousands.

Actually, the ColecoVision sold more despite being on the market far fewer years, but certainly the Intellivision brand has been better leveraged and nurtured over the years. In any case, without going into details, it seems that the Atari and Sega products are still the big sellers versus any of the other products. Hopefully if the second runs of the Intellivision and ColecoVIsion products come to be, they'll build on the momentum of the first iterations and create sustainable series. In other words, it still very much remains to be seen if there is any mass market appeal for something other than Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis stuff. That's also why we need to keep requests for other platforms in perspective. If Intellivision- and ColecoVision-branded systems can't catch the attention of the mass market, most other platforms won't either.

• Like 2

Actually, the ColecoVision sold more despite being on the market far fewer years

I'll defer to you, but I was thinking that it had only had about 2/3's of the install base that the Intellivision had achieved. But chances are that I've read something unreliable somewhere over the years. A fact of life I suppose when dealing with old sales statistics.

Wasn't the Colecovision a much more significant factor over in Europe than the Intellivision was? That's been my impression and for anecdotal evidence, I see that the Intellivision didn't even appear in Europe until 1982 which seems to lend some credibility that Europe only had a minor impact on that console's overall performance.

This is just speculation, but perhaps with the domestic market that AtGames was going after with these Flashbacks, maybe the Intellivision still had originally outsold the Colecovision by a decent margin when one eliminates international sales from the equation?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

A TurboGrafx Flashback would still be awesome, I think. Aside from Neo Geo, it's one of those "underdog" systems that's absolutely insane to collect for. They did it with16-bit Genesis so why not?

Simply put, the Genesis/MD was exponentially more popular in North America and Europe than the PC Engine was, and the brand is still actively promoted/utilized. The PC Engine was really only a big deal in Japan. The other issue is that there is far less software to license, and particularly software with any type of name recognition. Again, though, while the physical products will be limited to the ones we've already gotten (and their sequels) for the forseeable future, at least the AtGames digital strategy will allow for less popular platforms like the PC Engine/TG-16.

And I'll second that the Turbo Everdrive is awesome.

• Like 1

I'll defer to you, but I was thinking that it had only had about 2/3's of the install base that the Intellivision had achieved. But chances are that I've read something unreliable somewhere over the years. A fact of life I suppose when dealing with old sales statistics.

System sales statistics are a huge black hole especially after all these years. BITD I had always heard that CV sales reached upwards of 6 million, but considering that the CV system sales reached 1 million around the spring/summer of '83, I would find it hard to believe that they got close to 6 million by the time Coleco dropped the CV completely in the summer of '85... especially after going all in with the ADAM Computer in the summer of '83 and converting their CV manufacturing lines over to the ADAM thus halting manufacturing of further CVs for a period of time. My honest guess would be in the 2.5 million range, but Bill would probably have a lot better info to base an estimate on.

Wasn't the Colecovision a much more significant factor over in Europe than the Intellivision was? That's been my impression and for anecdotal evidence, I see that the Intellivision didn't even appear in Europe until 1982 which seems to lend some credibility that Europe only had a minor impact on that console's overall performance.

The CV, and for that matter the ADAM, were indeed more prevalent in Europe thanks to the partnership Coleco had with CBS Electronics. Even the Asian market saw some action, but that was more along the lines of clone and compatible systems (Dina 2-in-1 and Bit90) by Bit Corp as well as the South American market with some CV clone activity.

• Like 1

The CV, and for that matter the ADAM, were indeed more prevalent in Europe thanks to the partnership Coleco had with CBS Electronics.

I'm not sure about the other European releases, but the CBS ColecoVision wasn't released in the UK until July/August 1983 - one full year after the US and Canada. If this was the case with the rest of Europe and Australia then this late release will certainly have curtailed potential longer term sales.

This month I just gave up and got a Turbo Everdrive. :)

I scored my Turbo Grafx early in 2014. Definitely the first thing I purchased for it was an Everdrive, although I've bought a few of my favorite games for it. Definitely not a cheap system to collect for. :P

In other news, I got to play with my Coleco FB tonight. By far my favorite of the games I've played was Antarctic Adventure. Many of the games on there are pretty tough! Also not sure if it's the FB but the graphics and sound can be a bit garish at times. Overall, I'm happy with it but I also realize getting a real Coleco just isn't for me. Even a couple of the homebrew games were sort of meh...

What other games besides Antarctic Adventure do you guys recommend I try?

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I scored my Turbo Grafx early in 2014. Definitely the first thing I purchased for it was an Everdrive, although I've bought a few of my favorite games for it. Definitely not a cheap system to collect for. :P

In other news, I got to play with my Coleco FB tonight. By far my favorite of the games I've played was Antarctic Adventure. Many of the games on there are pretty tough! Also not sure if it's the FB but the graphics and sound can be a bit garish at times. Overall, I'm happy with it but I also realize getting a real Coleco just isn't for me. Even a couple of the homebrew games were sort of meh...

Princess Quest and Pepper II. :)

• Like 2

A TurboGrafx Flashback would still be awesome, I think. Aside from Neo Geo, it's one of those "underdog" systems that's absolutely insane to collect for. They did it with16-bit Genesis so why not?

I love the turbografx. I own one and I have an ever drive. Many of the people that are hardcore TurboGrafx owners are let's say a "different breed" of gamers and I can't see them supporting such a system. Combine that with the lack of brand recognition in North America and it makes a very hard to sell Product.

Edited by Manoau2002

I love the turbografx. I own one and I have an ever drive. Many of the people that are hardcore TurboGrafx owners are let's say a "different breed" of gamers and I can't see them supporting such a system. Combine that with the lack of brand recognition in North America and it makes a very hard to sell Product.

Wii Virtual Console was what ultimately made me aware of the Turbo Grafx. Some of the most awesome VC games were TG-16 releases. The list of US released HuCards is comparable to the 7800 and the 'visions and many are quite good. More if you count CD releases but those would take up a lot of data even if they compressed the CD Audio tracks...

Frenzy, Zaxxon and Mecha-8 ;)

• Like 2

The CV Flashback has several good games: Frenzy, Space Fury, Zaxxon, Pepper II. Unfortunately there are also quite a few games included that I consider second tier at best, so I am still hemming and hawwing as to whether I'll buy one...

• Like 1

The CV Flashback has several good games: Frenzy, Space Fury, Zaxxon, Pepper II. Unfortunately there are also quite a few games included that I consider second tier at best,

Agreed. I played mine for about 2 hours before missing too many of the other games and going back to emulation on my PSP, Xperia Play, and PCs. I am considering putting a Raspberry Pi in it so the entire original CV library is available, but that's so not a priority that it will probably take 5 years for me to get to it :D

Don't get me wrong... there are some great titles on the Flashback, but when playing it I can't help but be reminded of my favorite CV games that are missing: Beamrider, BC's Quest for Tires, Boulder Dash, Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom, Burgertime, Carnival, Centipede, Congo Bongo, Defender, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Frontline, Galaxian, Gorf, Gyruss, Lady Bug, Pitstop, Popeye, Q-bert, Slither, Smurf Rescue in Gargomel's Castle, Spy Hunter, Star Wars Arcade, Tapper, Turbo, and Tutankham.

Of course, if I didn't know those games existed, if the system wasn't a favorite then and now, I wouldn't know what I was missing and wouldn't miss them. You know, "ignorance is bliss." :D

• Like 1