IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Again, because products like this

[snipped image: CV FB]

would then directly compete with Namco's own branded products such as this

[snipped image: Pac-Man Connect-and-Play]

Returning to this topic for a moment: there is no longer a conflict of interest for Namco in that regard, because they've already given up on the plug-n-play sector. The Pac-Man Connect-and-Play was, as Atariboy noted earlier, a 2012 release, and Bandai Namco has now gone three NY Toy Fairs without showing off any follow-up products, presumably because sales did not meet projections (indeed, you can still find stock from that release on shelves today).

Here's what happened, in short: Jakks Pacific obtained a license from Namco to make Namco plug-n-play games in 2003, maybe 2002, and released the first in the series in 2003. That release, and subsequent releases in the series, sold well for Jakks, and so they negotiated an extension of the license with Namco in 2007 for at least another 3 years (here's the April 2007 press release about that--note the sales figure at the time, 15 million Namco-series TV Game units in under 4 years). Jakks' last release in their Namco series was in late 2008; manufacturing probably continued for some time afterward. In 2012 (development likely starting in 2011, since a playable demo was at the February 2012 NY Toy Fair), with the Jakks license now lapsed and not renewed, Bandai Namco tested the plug-n-play market on their own with the Connect-and-Play. Tested . . . and it looks like it didn't sell well enough for them. So, if someone else were to come along and ask to license their properties for another plug-n-play game release, whether retro arcade or retro console, I think Namco would be happy to negotiate an agreement and let them deal with the risk. But, as Bill L. noted, whether the deal on the table would be low enough for the third party to feel they could make a decent profit from their final product, that's another story.

And with that, I now return you to the ongoing discussion of the mobile strategy.

onmode-ky

P.S. Thanks for the shout-out to my website, Atariboy. :)

• Like 3

I'd be more interested in those apps, if they were on dedicated gaming devices.

While highly unlikely to be a candidate, they'd especially be nice on the Wii U with its touch screen able to serve as a keypad substitute. That and the 3DS would be ideal options for Intellivision and Colecovision collections.

I'd be more interested in those apps, if they were on dedicated gaming devices.

Why not the Nintendo eShop? If they released a Coleco/Intelli collection for 3DS, as retail cart or download, I'm sure they could get it approved by Nintendo provided none of the consoles being emulated are represented in the Virtual Console. They could also charge $10-15-20 for the collection and people would pay it because Nintendo fans aren't complete cheapskates like the iOS/Android casual crowd.

And the controlls would obviously be 1000000x better than an Ipad touch screen. Currently I don't own a "smart" device and have no current plans to get one so if it's not on Nintendo or Ouya, I can't play it. And I don't do Staem either...

Edited by stardust4ever

Has there even been a new plug and play with Namco content in recent years?

http://pnp-info.angelfire.com/pnpgames.20150219.txt

The newest that I see in there is 2012, and it appears to be an in-house Namco release.

918qVaHVHFL._SL1500_.jpg

The Jakks Pacific releases programmed by HotGen appear to not had a new Namco branded model since the latter part of the previous decade, well over five years ago.

I just did a search for this on ebay and found this auction selling this for $104.98 with 18 sold!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAMCO-PAC-MAN-CONNECT-Plug-and-Play-TV-VIDEO-Game-12-GAMES-BUILT-IN-/200821043041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec1ddef61

• Like 1

I just did a search for this on ebay and found this auction selling this for $104.98 with 18 sold!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAMCO-PAC-MAN-CONNECT-Plug-and-Play-TV-VIDEO-Game-12-GAMES-BUILT-IN-/200821043041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec1ddef61

The people who buy things for prices like this on eBay are truly dumbasses when Dollar General just had these at $15-25 over the 2014 holidays from late last year, only 3 months ago, then as onmode-ky pointed out, they might still be out there somewhere.

Edited by TrekkiELO

The people who buy things for prices like this on eBay are truly dumbasses when Dollar General just had these at $15-25 over the 2014 holidays from late last year, only 3 months ago, then as onmode-ky pointed out, they might still be out there somewhere.

yeah but look how much you SAVE :o

Was:

US $299.95 iconBubbleHelp.gif
You save:
$194.97 (65% off)
  • Like 1

yeah but look how much you SAVE :o

Yeah right, those kind of eBay sellers are scum, they know most people out there are inherently stupid and then have the gall to still charge $10.55 for S&H, at their asking price it should be free!

Glad I already bought one from Toys R Us 3 years ago.

Edited by TrekkiELO

I don't see why people are paying $105 for these on ebay when my Toys R Us has them for $25 and the reviews all say the controllers don't work.

Do the controllers really not work or just ergonomic nightmare or handle like crap? I'm pretty sure it's too shallow to fit quality Happ controls or even a good low-profile "fight stick" in there, but someone will figure a way to mod the hell out of it.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=200821043041&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

Well their last sale came on September 9th, 2014 for $42.49!

Then they're pretty eratic on the prices over two years since September 21st, 2012, that would sure tick me off as a customer!

High $99.95 on January 31st, 2014

Low $30.74 on December 13th, 2013

Edited by TrekkiELO

Dang dude, why didn't I get one of those? Even if the Joystick was an ergonomic nightmare, assuming the buttons are connected to a common ground and there is a 5V VCC signal, it wouldn't take much to add a 9-pin dsub connector to the side and wire it to be SMS/Genesis compatible so you could play with one of these:

3btn02.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever

A TG16 Flashback would never happen, though a digital offering is a possibility.

There was an official "TurboGrafx-16 GameBox" app on iOS for a long time, but it has been abandoned for at least two years. It's still in my download list but it doesn't work on a modern device. That's a problem with these digital ecosystems, especially when the mobile OS changes a lot.

There are a bunch of TG-16 games on the Wii Virtual Console (also works on Wii U) as well as the Playstation store (works on PS3, PSP, and a few on Vita).

My "TG-16 Flashback" is an Nvidia Shield running RetroArch and it's better than anything that AtGames could make. Any Android device with a controller does these games well.

• Like 1

My "TG-16 Flashback" is an Nvidia Shield running RetroArch and it's better than anything that AtGames could make. Any Android device with a controller does these games well.

I have a Shield myself. I do wish the screen was a little bigger and the controller a little better, but it really is a solid device. I also have a REP Electronics GameMid that is somewhat similar but in a more traditional 7" tablet form factor.

I haven't gotten a review unit yet, but AtGames makes the zooti.HD Game Tablet, which is like a traditional game-centric tablet, albeit without built-in controls. I suspect it's going to be similar to the GameMid. It's definitely an interesting market.

There's supposedly a new Shield portable coming soon. I like the current one as-is and probably won't upgrade it, then again I said the same thing about the New 3DS XL ...

I follow this scene with some interest, I remember that GameMid thing, which looked to be the top choice until the JXD s7800b came along. I wonder if there's another in the pipeline.

One of these with external controller support for retro controls (Intellivision! Colecovision!) would be fun to have.

That is one thing I really don't trust about digital services. They giveth and taketh away. I had Atari Museum on my ipad that I got with my iCade and had unlimited access to all of the games then after several updates it wanted me to buy "tokens" and pay to play the games. Eff that. I have also had digital media from itunes and Amazon that I bought years ago that are oddly "No longer available." I'll never trust the "Cloud" or digital services that can revoke, alter and censor media without any prior notice. You never know just what "modifications" an "update" is really doing behind the hood.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...