IGNORED

spare keyboard (black) for TI99/4A?

Rolo

Hi,

the "E"-key of my keyboard broke off. It's mounted on a really thin plastic shank :-(. I tried some plastic glue, but I do not think it'll work a long time.

It's an Italian assembled aluminium machine (R049959) with black keyboard. Model No.: PHC004A

Concerning the mounting holes, please take a look at the photo.

I don't want to kill the machine because of one broken key. Does anybody have a cheap fitting keyboard of an already dead machine?

Best regards,

Rolo

post-32856-0-66303700-1399141138_thumb.jpg

If you don't mind using a grayish keyboard from the beige model, this guy has them brand new (old stock):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-TI-99-4A-Computer-ALPHA-NUMERIC-KEYBOARD-Package-Texas-Instruments-/221314596982

I think that's your best bet right now. You might even be able to move your black keycaps onto it, but I'm not sure.

If you don't mind using a grayish keyboard from the beige model, this guy has them brand new (old stock):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-TI-99-4A-Computer-ALPHA-NUMERIC-KEYBOARD-Package-Texas-Instruments-/221314596982

I think that's your best bet right now. You might even be able to move your black keycaps onto it, but I'm not sure.

For some reason He doesn't ship overseas.

I have a couple broken consoles with presumably working keyboards. I checked shipping out of curiousity, that alone came to $24USD!

The keyswitches are individual units that can be removed and replaced one at a time. Use a copper braid or solder sucker to remove the old solder and free the switch terminals from the board. The key housing is held in by a couple tabs. You could perhaps swap the E key with the Control key which doesn't seem to be used much.

Either that or a single key would be much cheaper to ship if someone was willing to remove one and you were able to do the replacement.

Now, if it is just the key cap itself that's broken and not the switch portion, that's easy to just pop off and replace with a good one.

Years ago, these keyboards were everywhere for about $5 in surplus/electronics catalogs after TI got out of the market. I bought a couple of them before I even owned a TI.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Thanks guys for the numerous replies, I appreciate that very much!

Jaques is sending me two spare keyboards, for practically just the shipping costs. That's very nice. I hope one of those is fitting or I'm going to make it fit:) Or maybe I can simply change the one key switch - good idea. I have to give it a closer look.

Anyway as soon as I'm done I'll keep you informed and of course, I'll supply the remaining spare parts to other people here, who may need them.

Best regards,

Rolo

PS: Does anybody have a spare GROM0 version 2.0(!)???

Rolo, were you able to make it to the TI-99 regional meeting that was held at Gasthof zum Engel in Birkenau this past April 26? You probably would have found that and a lot more interesting things there--and usually one or another of the folks who shows up can do some repairs using the parts they have with them. They usually have at least one meeting there a year--just look for a notice on the Errorfree website: http://www.errorfree.de/Menu07.html

Hi

a Errorfree Member come from Near your Home and was at Gasthof zum Engel in Birkenau.at 26.April !

I have many TI Keyboards if you still need one ....

From 3. to 5. October we are in Vienna to the Europe International TI-Meeting 2014

Edited by Flottmann1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...