IGNORED

Draconian (2600)

SpiceWare

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I've finished implementing the BUS Stuffing support in Stella. Next week I'll start in on the demo.

Hate to say it but "next week" never happened.

From time to time I get burned out from coding and, since I can't take a break from programming for the day job, the hobbies end up taking the hit.

No ETA for when I'll resume, it'll happen when it happens.

• 4 months later...

Yep - it's my project, though it has been on the back burner for a while. I plan to reboot it using a new bus stuffing bankswitch method, though work on that has been rather slow.

Sure, you can use it in your compare video - just note that it's a WIP (work in progress) and not all features are present (such as logic for the enemy ships). It'll work in Stella, though you need a relatively current version as Draconian's a DPC+ ARM game (like Space Rocks and Stay Frosty 2). Earlier versions of Stella supported DPC+, but couldn't emulate the running of custom ARM code.

Also be sure to turn on Phosphor Mode else your recording will turn out bad, like this one with exaggerated flicker. There's instructions for Phosphor Mode in the initial post.

• Like 1

Yep - it's my project, though it has been on the back burner for a while. I plan to reboot it using a new bus stuffing bankswitch method, though work on that has been rather slow.

Sure, you can use it in your compare video - just note that it's a WIP (work in progress) and not all features are present (such as logic for the enemy ships). It'll work in Stella, though you need a relatively current version as Draconian's a DPC+ ARM game (like Space Rocks and Stay Frosty 2). Earlier versions of Stella supported DPC+, but couldn't emulate the running of custom ARM code.

Also be sure to turn on Phosphor Mode else your recording will turn out bad, like this one with exaggerated flicker. There's instructions for Phosphor Mode in the initial post.

I saw you posted today and was hoping for an updated Draconian..................... bummer :(

Read the very first post, it has instructions on how to turn on phosphor mode. That'll fix the flicker.

Also if you can record hi def with Stella's phosphor effect on, and upload to YouTube with the HiDef option, there will be at least 480p60 playback option that is great for things that still flicker (YouTube normally compresses your upload to 30 fps and flickered objects disappear).

I can not figure how to get YouTube to make 720p60 versions, even thought I had uploaded a 1080 recording.

OK ! I figured out what the problem was. It was an outdated version of Stella. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good recording with the flicker on the title screen. When I'm finished with the video I'll link it here so You guys can watch ! By the way !! Excellent job & thanks for your permission !

Alt-p is the shortcut to enable phosphor mode. I love your let's compare videos. I'm looking forward seeing your next video.

Thanks!

I noticed a couple issues though:

1) Something's wrong with the playback speed. The ship is flying too slowly, sound effects take longer than they should, etc. I suspect it's playing back at half speed.

2) didn't use Phosphor mode. This is one of the frames of the title screen without phosphor mode:

post-3056-0-45712800-1454423798_thumb.png

This is the other frame:

post-3056-0-31056800-1454424884_thumb.png

Unlike modern displays, the CRT TV used phosphors which glow a bit longer than 1/60th of a second. That causes the two frames to visually "blend together". Modern displays don't do that, so Phosphor Mode in Stella is a way to better emulate the experience from back in the day. This is the title screen with phosphor mode:

post-3056-0-63012500-1454423850_thumb.png

• Like 2

Any idea why it's at half speed? That's probably a bigger issue than the phosphor mode.

I just realized my blog has a newer build than this topic. It's only a day newer, but the formation display is a lot better - it's off in the corner now so the radar display is always visible.

post-3056-0-25150300-1454432678_thumb.png

I've edited the "current version" link in the first post to point to the blog entry.

• Like 2

I know what I did now. I failed to turn the setting for Phosphor mode up to 100. DOH !!! >_< Sorry about that. But I'm sure that anyone who watched didn't fault you for that. I'll inform them in the comments section of the mistake.

I leave the Blend value at the default value of77. There's some fading of the phosphors on a real TV, so flickered images aren't as bright as non-flickered images.

In my sprite driver I compensate for that dimness by increasing the brightness of any object that's temporarily being flickered. The idea to do that came from Thomas Jentzsch and I've taken to calling that LumaBoost.