IGNORED

Draconian (2600)

SpiceWare

Amazing 2600 "firsts" in Draconian:

• First game with speech samples during game play (not samples with the screen black).

• First game to potentially score 99 million points? (One point under 100 million?)

• Additional technical programming "firsts" like new bank switching type CDF - stuff not as amazing as the first 2 points.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong :) )

post-29575-0-19495500-1503847241_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update SpiceWare!

Thanks! Other than lack of sleep and power outages, I've fared well so far. Storm's moving slowly though, so we're seeing massive flooding all over. From here, posted this morning, I live where the X is so we're looking at another 2 feet or more of rain in the next few days:

post-29575-0-49292100-1503848227_thumb.jpg

It's also spinning up tornadoes, one touched down 2-3 miles from my home in the neighborhood across the highway.

For those wondering about cd-w's mockup - blog posts last week saw the initial implementation of the spy ship as well as a reduction in the logo size which freed up 1.5 KB of ROM for the digital audio samples. I'd hoped to finish up the spy ship and post new builds here this weekend, but along came Harvey.

Looks good, but won't work. The entire menu's drawn using the 2-color 48 pixel kernel, the players are black, the 2 colors are the background and playfield. Looks like Nathan took some inspiration from that flyer though, as this is what it currently looks like:
attachicon.gifdraconian.png

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 1

First game to potentially score 99 million points? (One point under 100 million?)

(Please correct me if I'm wrong :) )

Excellent list of firsts, but Bell Hopper actually goes (much!) higher in score. It does, however, resort to scientific notation when the scores are very high. (IMO a completely awesome and clever work-around)

Thanks! Other than lack of sleep and power outages, I've fared well so far. Storm's moving slowly though, so we're seeing massive flooding all over. From here, posted this morning, I live where the X is so we're looking at another 2 feet or more of rain in the next few days:

attachicon.gifDCT_SPECIAL38_1280x720.jpg

It's also spinning up tornadoes, one touched down 2-3 miles from my home in the neighborhood across the highway.

For those wondering about cd-w's mockup - blog posts last week saw the initial implementation of the spy ship as well as a reduction in the logo size which freed up 1.5 KB of ROM for the digital audio samples. I'd hoped to finish up the spy ship and post new builds here this weekend, but along came Harvey.

Looks good, but won't work. The entire menu's drawn using the 2-color 48 pixel kernel, the players are black, the 2 colors are the background and playfield. Looks like Nathan took some inspiration from that flyer though, as this is what it currently looks like:

attachicon.gifdraconian.png

Glad to see the progress and that the previous/high score has been implemented on the menu.

My prayers go out to Houston and surrounding areas and I hope the flooding spares you. My cousin's family woke up to 10 inches of water in their house this morning and rising. The streets are completely flooded and submerged so unless someone has a boat there isn't much hope for evacuating. And other people are far worse off than they are. :_(

• Like 1

Excellent list of firsts, but Bell Hopper actually goes (much!) higher in score. It does, however, resort to scientific notation when the scores are very high. (IMO a completely awesome and clever work-around)

Score could go up to 1 trillion with two six-digit displays stacked vertically. 8)

Darrell-glad to hear you are ok! I had a chance this week to play the last build that you posted (on my Harmony Cart) and this is an amazing game!

I have been watching the coverage on TV and the amount of rain is the Houston area is really incredible. Stay safe!

Edited by mmervine
  • Like 2

Hi everybody.

I'm new to Harmony and just try out this INCREDIBLY GOOD game (latest release) on my "Light PAL 6-Switcher" and Harmony with the newest PAL50 bios 1.05. All other homebrews work fine with this config.

Problem is: If I start the game, the ship changes the direction to where I push the joystick, but IT DOES NOT MOVE.

In Stella, everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Bern

Problem is: If I start the game, the ship changes the direction to where I push the joystick, but IT DOES NOT MOVE.

In Stella, everything works fine.

Change Right Difficulty to B.

I currently have diagnostic features compiled into Draconian, they're controlled via the difficulty switches. Left Difficulty A replaces the score with processing time remaining info. Right Difficulty A freezes the action to make it easier to review graphic changes, of which there are a number of in the forthcoming build.

• Like 1

Change Right Difficulty to B.

I currently have diagnostic features compiled into Draconian, they're controlled via the difficulty switches. Left Difficulty A replaces the score with processing time remaining info. Right Difficulty A freezes the action to make it easier to review graphic changes, of which there are a number of in the forthcoming build.

Wow, thank you. Incredible game!!

B.t.w.: Unlike others, I'd say it's very important to have an attract mode. I often just sit and watch. Or do some house work and watch sometimes on my big CRT as if it is a picture on the wall. Just enjoying that Atari games are so much better than in the 80s.

• Like 1

That's just unprecedented what's going on there. Family and myself are prepping to help with clean-uo and recovery.

The weather channel showed vids of water up to street-light level. That's like 4x stop-sign height! And fish swimming under it.

My prayers go out to Houston and surrounding areas and I hope the flooding spares you. My cousin's family woke up to 10 inches of water in their house this morning and rising. The streets are completely flooded and submerged so unless someone has a boat there isn't much hope for evacuating. And other people are far worse off than they are. :_(

For Harmony or Stella (requires Stella 5.0.0 or newer)

attachicon.gifdraconian_20170730.bin

Biobern pointed me to this and I spent the past 2 hours reading all the BUS and CDF stuff you guys did over the years for this. Totally incredible amount and work, ideas and attention paid to the details. You guys rock. And still I see the 32k force finally force you do to what the VCS always forces every coder to do: Trade space for features. Looks like some things never change ;-).

• Like 2

Thanks! I'm disappointed that BUS didn't pan out, but am quite happy with the results of CDF. I'm looking forward to seeing what others can do with it after I've written up the CDF programming tutorial. There is another CDF project under development that's planned for release at PRGE alongside Draconian.

The Melody board does support up to 128K of ROM, and 64K of RAM, but I currently don't have a way to test games that large on my Atari.

• Like 1

Had planned to work on Draconian today, but last night as I was shutting everything down I noticed condensation below the floor mat. Water from Harvey must have made its way down the wall.

post-3056-0-47933100-1504362390_thumb.jpg

The floor mat's for the filing cabinets as they didn't open easily on the carpet. The computers were set up on and around the filing cabinets. My laser printer's to the right of the treadmill desk, I'll probably move it to another room and temporarily set up my Mac Pro and work computers there.

The floor mat's for the filing cabinets as they didn't open easily on the carpet. The computers were set up on and around the filing cabinets. My laser printer's to the right of the treadmill desk, I'll probably move it to another room and temporarily set up my Mac Pro and work computers there.

Yes.. yes.. all that.. Just protect all VCS work-in-progress games!! I'll sell you some backup services if needed!!

Sadly it doesn't work anymore, some of the gears stripped. If I recall correctly it played 3 different skits, here's one of them:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8FugAZa9NQ4

Gears are easy to replicate with a 3d printer. I fixed a friend's Atari Star Wars sit down cabinet's yoke, not perfect, but good enough for now.
  • Like 1

Wheres is that awesome space poster from? Looney Tunes? :grin:

Warner Brothers store that used to be in the Houston Galleria. Found a couple photos from when my brother came for a visit in 1999, taken with a Kodak DC210 Zoom (V03.10).

post-3056-0-92112600-1504537755_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-53672200-1504537766_thumb.jpg

I spent lots of money there. Some of the other items I'd picked up:

post-3056-0-14861700-1504538058_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-54653200-1504538087_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-34979500-1504538113_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-52455000-1504538126_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-93395900-1504538142_thumb.jpg

• Like 4