IGNORED

Draconian (2600)

SpiceWare

Yeah, USPS didn't do very well this year. Normally shipments from Austin get here in a day or two. The copies I gave as gifts took five days because they got stuck at the North Houston post office for a few days.

I am one state over (shreveport) and it took longer than usual but they arrived just in time Saturday.

It came yesterday (the 26th). I love the box, poster and the manual. I miss manuals in todays modern games. I do have a question. Does it move to other quadrants when you finish the one you are on? I seemed to stay in the alpha quadrant. I did continue, though. I know I can pick a quadrant, but the manual seems to imply that you pick a quadrant and stay there until you pick another.

It came yesterday (the 26th). I love the box, poster and the manual. I miss manuals in todays modern games. I do have a question. Does it move to other quadrants when you finish the one you are on? I seemed to stay in the alpha quadrant. I did continue, though. I know I can pick a quadrant, but the manual seems to imply that you pick a quadrant and stay there until you pick another.

After playing every sector in a given quadrant, they continue to loop until you hit stage 256, assuming the gameplay doesn't get so insane it becomes impossible to play.

Quadrants A and B repeat the last 6 sectors like they do in the arcade units. Quadrants Γ and ∆ repeat all of their levels. Quadrant E is randomly generated, so sectors do not repeat.

Additionally the sectors in A and B are reused. In A 13, 14 and 15 are prior sectors:

const unsigned char * const alpha_levels[] =
{
    alpha_1,    // 1
    alpha_2,    // 2
    alpha_3,    // 3
    alpha_4,    // 4
    alpha_5,    // 5
    alpha_6,    // 6
    alpha_7,    // 7
    alpha_8,    // 8
    alpha_9,    // 9
    alpha_10,   // 10
    alpha_11,   // 11
    alpha_12,   // 12 18 24
    alpha_9,    // 13 19 ...
    alpha_5,    // 14 20
    alpha_10,   // 15 21
    alpha_16,   // 16 22
    alpha_17    // 17 23
};

while B reuses sectors from both A and B:

const unsigned short int beta_levels[] =
{
  (unsigned short int) beta_1,     // 1
  (unsigned short int) beta_2,     // 2
  (unsigned short int) alpha_8,    // 3
  (unsigned short int) alpha_9,    // 4
  (unsigned short int) alpha_16,   // 5
  (unsigned short int) alpha_4,    // 6
  (unsigned short int) alpha_12,   // 7
  (unsigned short int) alpha_11,   // 8
  (unsigned short int) beta_9,     // 9
  (unsigned short int) beta_10,    // 10
  (unsigned short int) beta_11,    // 11
  (unsigned short int) alpha_8,    // 12
  (unsigned short int) alpha_9,    // 13
  (unsigned short int) beta_14,    // 14
  (unsigned short int) alpha_17,   // 15
  (unsigned short int) alpha_16,   // 16
  (unsigned short int) beta_17,    // 17 23 29
  (unsigned short int) beta_18,    // 18 24 ...
  (unsigned short int) beta_19,    // 19 25
  (unsigned short int) beta_14,    // 20 26
  (unsigned short int) alpha_17,   // 21 27
  (unsigned short int) beta_22     // 22 28
};

It took Nathan quite a bit of time to figure those all out and create the sector data.

The difficulty maxes out at sector 32 so if you're able to make it that far it's time to change Level to Hard ;)

I don't want to offend anyone... but SpiceWare is the best 2600 programmer ever :)

Thanks, but hardly :)

A lot of collaboration goes on in these projects - without the help of others like Chris Walton, Fred Quimby, Thomas Jentzsch, Nathan Strum, Michael Haas (and many others) my games would have been pale imitations of what they ultimately became.

• Like 8

Too many awesome homebrews by awesome developers, not only Atari but Nintendo, Sega, Coleco, Intelli, and a host of other classic systems. Tons of collabs across many different authors, games, and systems, such that to crown one guy as king would be in grave error. It is a community effort through and through, and everyone benefits! ;-)

A lot of collaboration goes on in these projects - without the help of others like Chris Walton, Fred Quimby, Thomas Jentzsch, Nathan Strum, Michael Haas (and many others) my games would have been pale imitations of what they ultimately became.

This is good to know. I have to make an effort this time to mention others involved when I do reviews. I might need some of these spelled phonetically so I don't butcher the pronounciation :D

This is good to know. I have to make an effort this time to mention others involved when I do reviews. I might need some of these spelled phonetically so I don't butcher the pronounciation :D

Key people involved in each project are listed in the manual. For Draconian:

post-3056-0-27014300-1514986030.png

Chris & I designed CDF. He wrote the Harmony/Melody driver, while I added support to Stella. Fred created the hardware it runs on and fixed a compatibility issue that cropped up with some 7800s.

Michael did the voices and majority of the sound effects.

Nathan did a lot (and, of course, is the reason Draconian came to be).

Chris also did a lot of code optimizing, via Messenger, which freed up enough space in the game to make sure everything would fit - those samples take up a lot of room! (Thomas did the same for prior games like Stay Frosty 2 and Space Rocks).

post-3056-0-61981500-1514986638_thumb.png

∆ quadrants are the winners of the ∆ quadrant competition, their levels are in the game.

The last section covers people who made key suggestions to the game, such as the Quadrant E which randomly generates every sector. There really should be more listed in this section - these people normally end up in my Credits Easter Egg, but I knew Draconian wouldn't have the space for one, and didn't even think about listing them in the manual, so I didn't take meticulous notes during development like I have in the past. Nathan brought it up at the last minute while creating the manual (think we had a day to get them in there), so I got ahold of a few I could think of off the top of my head (to get their real names) and used "and the AtariAge community" to cover the rest.

• Like 2

Too many awesome homebrews by awesome developers, not only Atari but Nintendo, Sega, Coleco, Intelli, and a host of other classic systems. Tons of collabs across many different authors, games, and systems, such that to crown one guy as king would be in grave error. It is a community effort through and through, and everyone benefits! ;-)

I said "I don't want to offend anyone" :)

I'm also a "poor" 2600 programmer :-D

I made this post because I was really impressed on how advanced is Draconian, compared to nearly every other 2600 game.

I want to say "thank you" to all vintage game systems enthusiasts, especially the ones devoted to my loved 2600 system :) With their efforts we got some gems that were unthinkable in 1980 :-o

The last section covers people who made key suggestions to the game, such as the Quadrant E which randomly generates every sector. There really should be more listed in this section - these people normally end up in my Credits Easter Egg, but I knew Draconian wouldn't have the space for one, and didn't even think about listing them in the manual, so I didn't take meticulous notes during development like I have in the past. Nathan brought it up at the last minute while creating the manual (think we had a day to get them in there), so I got ahold of a few I could think of off the top of my head (to get their real names) and used "and the AtariAge community" to cover the rest.

I'm still shocked you crammed that fifth quadrant into your code: gerrymandering indeed! :grin:
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Arm down! Arm down! ;)

Yeah, it's a very tight fit and fell out just as I snapped the photo. I was worried about breaking the arm if I forced it. I was going to track down my sandpaper this evening, but Tarzilla recommended making the hole in the side of the snowman a little larger instead.

Will these be for sale soon??? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Way too cool!!!

There's been talk of that, though I don't know specifics.
  • Like 2

AtariAge had so many holiday orders that only now have I received my comped copies of Draconian and Super Cobra Arcade (thanks John!). I bet Al's happy to be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :)

Indeed, I have so many other things to catch up on, though! :D

I need one of those Tesla phone chargers.

..Al