IGNORED

Draconian (2600)

SpiceWare

Maybe in time for Stay Frosty 3 ;)

While I'd like to, have no idea when I'd get around to SF3. I took a long break after the Draconian Crunch and have finally resumed working on 2600 projects - last week I finished porting the SF2 music driver to CDF format for Mappy, and this week started in on Spice C.

post-3056-0-82368700-1518733922_thumb.png

Nice glow picture. I've tried taking one like that but always get crappy results. Now all we need is a giant version with LED lights...

I set it up in my laundry room, put a flashlight on it for a few minutes to charge it up, then turned out the lights and snapped the photo with my iPhone X.

• Like 1

AtariAge had so many holiday orders that only now have I received my comped copies of Draconian and Super Cobra Arcade (thanks John!). I bet Al's happy to be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :)

attachicon.gifIMG_9738.jpg

Your gonna love Super Cobra, and I think you'll like Draconian too. ;)

• Like 1

But if you decided to go ahead with it, most certainly it would look a million times better than this glitched mess (not even a 2600, just crashed graphics so millenials think it look like one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Bc7AxsLxo

That is just pathetic. :thumbsdown:

(not you, the video you linked)

• 2 months later...

For those of you who are interested I just did a complete playthrough of all the levels of Draconian (minus repeats) on last night's ZeroPage Homebrew Livestream on Twitch!

It was definitely extremely challenging and a ton of fun. Enjoy!

Draconian Complete Playthrough (Alpha, Beta, Gamma & Delta)

• Like 5

For those of you who are interested I just did a complete playthrough of all the levels of Draconian (minus repeats) on last night's ZeroPage Homebrew Livestream on Twitch!

Starting to watching it now, will probably spread it over 2-3 nights.

post-3056-0-84959500-1526604782_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Quadrant sector Info:

• A = 17 Midway sectors, last 6 repeat(after sector 256 it goes back to sector 1). There are a few repeated sectors within it, 13-15 are a repeat of sectors 9, 5, then 10.
  • B = 22 Namco sectors, last 6 repeat. Likewise there are repeated sectors within it, including some from the A quadrant.
  • Γ = 9 Tribute sectors, all 9 repeat. Stations are arranged to render the initials of key contributors within the radar, as seen in a couple examples below.
  • Δ = 16 Contest sectors, all 16 repeat.
  • E = randomly generated sectors. These are not repeats of any of the other 4 quadrants, 8 stations are randomly positioned at the start of each sector.

You earn more points if you take a station out by hitting all 6 pods.

Γ-1, Al's sector

post-3056-0-85903000-1526606327.png

Γ-2, Nathan's sector

post-3056-0-23072200-1526606396.png

• Like 1

Check my profile for links to the WIP games.

I don't like to fly due to the TSA, so like to do a 2 week road trip for PRGE. Last year we (my folks joined me) checked out the Grand Canyon on the way there and Napa Valley on the way back. Due to family gathering in Wisconsin next month, and other plans, I won't have enough time for PRGE this year. We're thinking to check out Yellowstone on our next PRGE trip.

The Houston Arcade Expo is local to me, about a 30 minute drive to get to that side of the city (I'm south of downtown, it's northwest new location's west). It used to be in November but got moved up for some reason. It's fun, but not as large as PRGE, fewer speakers, and is geared towards arcade games, not consoles. Turnout for my presentation is very small compared to PRGE.

Parts are white and brown, I painted the black parts on the large, but not yet small, as well as the orange carrot noses.

post-3056-0-79695600-1526610168_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Check my profile for links to the WIP games.

I don't like to fly due to the TSA, so like to do a 2 week road trip for PRGE. Last year we (my folks joined me) checked out the Grand Canyon on the way there and Napa Valley on the way back. Due to family gathering in Wisconsin next month, and other plans, I won't have enough time for PRGE this year. We're thinking to check out Yellowstone on our next PRGE trip.

The Houston Arcade Expo is local to me, about a 30 minute drive to get to that side of the city (I'm south of downtown, it's northwest new location's west). It used to be in November but got moved up for some reason. It's fun, but not as large as PRGE, fewer speakers, and is geared towards arcade games, not consoles. Turnout for my presentation is very small compared to PRGE.

Parts are white and brown, I painted the black parts on the large, but not yet small, as well as the orange carrot noses.

attachicon.gif7ADA432B-B599-4205-9E4A-6CFF51C75DC7.jpeg

I still want a 3D Frosty!!! ;-)

• Like 1

It was definitely extremely challenging and a ton of fun. Enjoy!

Draconian Complete Playthrough (Alpha, Beta, Gamma & Delta)

Haha nice, 3 hours... Great footage for weekend "lying in bed slightly drunk but can't sleep" watching! :grin: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Draconian stereo sound. Unintentionally terrific!

I was playing on an S-video 2600 light-sixer Sunnyvale, and I noticed the left channel, right channel turning into this rhythmic trance.

You said Medieval Mayhem was intentionally coded for sounds on the right side of the display on right channel, and sounds on the left side of the display on the left channel..

The way you coded the channel usage in Draconian, the fire button sound alternates back and forth and it has an echo / decay that is mesmerizing!

It may have been a setting on the amplifier like simulated tv surround, but I rarely use that so I don't think my amp was causing what I was hearing.

Do you "round robin" the audio like you do with the 2600's objects?

• Like 1

Wow, that is super weird to see myself and Tanya on somebody else's TV! Enjoy us enjoying your amazing game Darrell!! Hope we gave it a definitive run through of all the levels and we didn't miss any. :-)

Yes, Timmy, that's the one I was trying to remember the name of, the one that is similar to Jumpman Jr. Really looking forward to that one as it develops!!

I totally understand why going to PRGE is quite an undertaking coming from that distance. It was definitely great meeting and briefly chatting with you a couple of years ago (2015?) at the event. Those are amazing Frosty 3D printing models, love it!

Starting to watching it now, will probably spread it over 2-3 nights.

attachicon.gif1099E86F-449A-4198-A3C9-6242085F87FF.jpeg

Draconian stereo sound. Unintentionally terrific!

I was playing on an S-video 2600 light-sixer Sunnyvale, and I noticed the left channel, right channel turning into this rhythmic trance.

You said Medieval Mayhem was intentionally coded for sounds on the right side of the display on right channel, and sounds on the left side of the display on the left channel..

The way you coded the channel usage in Draconian, the fire button sound alternates back and forth and it has an echo / decay that is mesmerizing!

It may have been a setting on the amplifier like simulated tv surround, but I rarely use that so I don't think my amp was causing what I was hearing.

I have a stereo AV modded Gemini. The separation blows me away every time; I just with the video was as crisp as on my "Best" AV 7800! Colored text is hard to read on the Genimi for some reason...

The sound driver's a modified version of my usual one which assigns a sound to the channels based on what's in use followed by priority. The modification is samples have the highest priority and always play on channel 0.

static void TriggerSoundEffect(int SoundID)
{
  int channel;

// sample could be played at any time on channel 0, so try channel 1 first
  if (SOUND_VOL[gActiveSound[1]] == 0)                              channel = 1;  // if channel 1's unused, use it
  else if (gCurrentSample == 0 && SOUND_VOL[gActiveSound[0]] == 0)  channel = 0;  // if channel 0's unused, use it
  else if (SoundID > gActiveSound[1])                               channel = 1;  // if new sound has higher priority than what's on channel 1, use it
  else if (gCurrentSample == 0 && SoundID > gActiveSound[0])        channel = 0;  // if sample is not playing and new sound has higher priority then use channel 0 
  else                                                            return;         // no channel available, don't play request sound effect

gActiveSound[channel] = SoundID;
  gSoundDuration[channel] = SOUND_FREQ[SoundID] >> 5;
}

If there's no other sound effects at the time, the player's shots end up alternating channels due to the in-use check

Wow, that is super weird to see myself and Tanya on somebody else's TV! Enjoy us enjoying your amazing game Darrell!! Hope we gave it a definitive run through of all the levels and we didn't miss any. :-)

I imagine it would be! I made it through the Alpha levels last night, about an hour in. Plan to watch Beta this evening, the rest over the weekend.

Yes, Timmy, that's the one I was trying to remember the name of, the one that is similar to Jumpman Jr. Really looking forward to that one as it develops!!

My plan is to reboot both Timmy and Frantic using SpiceC, but that project's been on the back burner due to RL. Things are returning to normal, though with the trip coming up I've decided to put off resuming work on SpiceC until after I get back.

I totally understand why going to PRGE is quite an undertaking coming from that distance. It was definitely great meeting and briefly chatting with you a couple of years ago (2015?) at the event. Those are amazing Frosty 3D printing models, love it!

I've been to PRGE twice, in 2013 and 2017 for the releases of Space Rocks and Draconian respectively.

As far as Galaga, the kernel used for Draconian would not be appropriate due to excessive flicker while the enemy are in formation. You might be recalling the mockup done in the Bus Stuffing Demos. It uses the 128 pixel bitmap kernel which can also be done using DPC+ as well as CDF, the successor to DPC+. CDF's what was used in Draconian, Super Cobra Arcade, the forthcoming Mappy and SpiceC framework. It's more efficient than DPC+ (smaller so 2K more ROM and 2K more RAM are available for the game) and has features like the ability to play back packed(2 samples per byte) digital samples directly from ROM (in DCP+ I had to reserve a large chunk of RAM and unpack the samples into it myself).

We've had some discussion on using the Draconian kernel for Sinistar, but like Frantic and Timmy I'll need to port Draconian's kernel to SpiceC first.

post-3056-0-58210700-1484957069.png

• Like 3

But it's so much more satisfying to just thread the needle and blast between the pods. :evil:

This is impossible to do on the Delta stage (or was it Gamma?) where the pods were overlayed on top of one another, forcing the player to take out all six of one pod before he can "thread the needle" to take out the other.