IGNORED

Draconian (2600)

SpiceWare

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2020 at 4:37 PM, Utilikey said:

Great addictive game that you completed.  This is my high score to date!  616000.  It's been awhile since I played it, so I hope that the score will stand for awhile...

Thanks for posting your score! I need to practice as I'm well off that mark haha. Agreed addictive! Did you clear all sectors in a quadrant with that score?

Edited by intergalactic419
wasn't finished

• 1 month later...

Long, long overdue...

Thank you so much for making this.

Not only is the game a real technical wonder, it's also extremely playable and has become the mainstay of "Atari nights" we're having, alongside Medieval Mayhem.

Truly a masterpiece!

Edited by Mef
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@Nathan Strum - @MikeMika tweeted about the X68000 version of Bosconian today. Never heard about that home computer before.

I like the extended launch sequence (at 0:55).  The Extra Cannon message and transition from single to triple frontal firing (at 1:03) suggests a power up or a game variation.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Review of Draconian from Japan!

Wish I understood it better - ich kann Deutsch, hablo español, but I don't know Japanese and YouTube's closed captioning with auto-translation seems a bit...

1823403982_ScreenShot2022-09-07at2_39_23PM.thumb.png.910e03de1709e9c00b938d39d9ff20e0.png680943581_ScreenShot2022-09-07at2_40_57PM.thumb.png.ed8dfad717e4be6437a0a96865ee98e8.png

off, and often goes for periods of time without any captions at all for what he's saying.

I did like the information slides he made:

1881390574_ScreenShot2022-09-07at2_16_34PM.thumb.png.54d464ae805fc53eb77b3bf49e095cff.png1022310865_ScreenShot2022-09-07at2_18_19PM.thumb.png.45564ae2a1993845e08616f7d8e25d79.png

He also did one on Mappy that @johnnywc might enjoy:

As well as one on the Melody board used by Draconian and Mappy:

• Like 6

I also found the reviews in text form on his web site. I added a Google Translate link, it defaults to English but you can change it to other languages using the dropdown at the top.

Translations are still a bit off, such as this bit where I'm sure he's talking about the digitized speech samples:

When you start, you can hear the sound during the game! I was also surprised that the ATARI2600 could produce sound! ! This is undoubtedly a god transplant. I will defeat the green station

25 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

I added a Google Translate link

Translations are still a bit off, such as this bit where I'm sure he's talking about the digitized speech samples:

Try DeepL! IMO it provides better quality than Google:

When you start the game, you can hear audio throughout the game! This was another surprise to me, that you could hear audio in the ATARI 2600!!! This is also unmistakably a divine port. Defeat the green station!

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
4 minutes ago, nostos said:

I would like to buy a boxed cart of Draconian.

Can you please point me to an online store?

Thank you.

You are about 2 months too late. It was removed from the AA Store at the end of July. 

You can download the final version ROM from the first page of this thread to play in emulation. 

Spiceware decides to publish it someplace else in physical form you are going to have to find one in the resale market and it's likely going to cost a lot more than a retail version would. 

Edited by groundtrooper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, groundtrooper said:

You are about 2 months too late. It was removed from the AA Store at the end of July. 

Oh! I discovered this great game too late.

1 hour ago, groundtrooper said:

You can download the final version ROM from the first page of this thread to play in emulation. 

Spiceware decides to publish it someplace else in physical form you are going to have to find one in the resale market and it's likely going to cost a lot more than a retail version would. 

I'll never ever feed speculation.

Thank you for your reply.

I've got to try this one! I saw someone mention it in the comments section of a YouTube video about homebrew Atari games and had to look it up.  I love Bosconian and the Star Wars version of it too. Glad to see that someone has made an Atari 2600 version. 

2 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

Darn it! I got Dungeon II from the store and it arrived in amazing shape! So cool to have a box, cartridge and poster for that game. Would be sweet to have that for Draconian too. Not sure how I missed seeing Draconian on the store page. Oddly enough, nobody on Ebay is selling one. It's unusual to come up empty on an Ebay search. :) Maybe someone could convince Spiceware to make a few more.