IGNORED

Draconian (2600)

SpiceWare

And whatever happened to 4A50 bank switching?

Can CDF do what 4A50 did easier and better?

If it was hardware that never was built, DPC+ is hardware that never was built. It's emulated.

Sorry, I digress. Blame Cosmic Stardust...

Ah, but the ARM is simply running code programmed for it. DPC+ and CDF are the same platform, Melody, just different programs running on it. We've only begun to unlock the true potential of Melody yet... ;-)

I intended to post:
SOUND
I love the in-tune DPC+ 3-channel sound as much as good TIA sound.

With the statement that each method has good/bad.
TIA good = how sound effects were designed.
TIA bad = harsh, missing notes.

DPC+ good = in tune 3-voice.
DPC+ bad = scratchy, low fidelity.

But keep in mind this console was made for late 70's CRT TV's with a small, mono speaker, which make the "bad" sound and blocky graphics a moot point.

People, you're looking and listening too closely!

That said, I had lots of "wow" moments, like Yars' Revenge upscaled to 720p with scanlines added, at 90 inches diagonal, through an amplifier with powered large subwoofer that shakes your bones, the walls and the sofa! That's some wow FUN! :-D

• Like 1

The programmers can get it a little better: example - "Stella's Stocking" - and that does not even use DPC. All done in the software display kernel. 2-voices for each 2 channels, for 4 voice music.

And "Better Than Pitfall II v8". (Right and Left Difficulty A uses higher notes)

attachicon.gifBetter Than Pitfall II Music V8 (2007) (John Payson).bin

That does (probably, don't have Stella's Stocking ROM) the same (two voices per channel, two channels = 4 voices).

And it sounds that good, because the timing is absolutely perfect. Except for 1 cycle difference every 96 frames, which is not noticeable.

The human ear is very sensitive to off timings here.

• Like 1

My Buddy Capt. Bob picked me up a copy at PRGE but no manuals were included. Waiting for Albert to let me know how I get a manual :)

They were done, and UPS had them, but didn't deliver them until after PRGE was over. I don't know if he was taking addresses at the show, but he is planning to mail them out to people who bought the game there. I'm sure he'll post something about it when he starts filling store orders again in early December.

• Like 1

My Buddy Capt. Bob picked me up a copy at PRGE but no manuals were included. Waiting for Albert to let me know how I get a manual :)

Yep, UPS f'd up, 2 boxes of manuals for a number of games were shipped from the printers using 2-day delivery to Portland. Per tracking info both arrived in Portland on-time, but only one was delivered before PRGE. The missing box, which contained the Draconian manuals :mad: , was delivered on Monday.

Rather than taking a list of addresses, then having to decipher everyone's chicken scratch, Al was requesting people to send him a PM with their address (maybe include your above photo as proof of purchase). He'll send the manual to you, though be aware that he's still driving back to Texas as AtariAge attended Free Play Florida this past weekend.

• Like 2

There's just one manual for Draconian. :)

I might send it out today if I have your address. Otherwise it will go out next week. Hope you're enjoying the game!

..Al

• Like 1

What an amazing piece of work. I just got hooked for about an hour "testing" 6502.ts. It is unbelievable how much is going on on the screen (not to mention the samples and audio in general) but, most importantly, the game is well balanced and a joy to play.

I should also mention that a colleague watched me play over lunch break and was immediately drawn back to his youth when he fed coins into the arcade :P

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 3

Thanks! Nice, I didn't realize you had CDF working in 6502.ts. It doesn't appear to work in Safari, but does in FireFox.

Thanks :) What version of Safari are you using? It seems that there has been huge a huge jump in Javascript performance and compatibility from 10 to 11. On my macbook, Safari 11 works well and is on par with Chrome in terms of performance, while Firefox is a little worse and prone to occasional audio glitching.

Safari 11.0.1. I just get a blue background.

Weird. I just tried (with cache cleared to avoid any interference from local leftovers), and it works just fine on my machine with 11.01. I'm curious; could you retry with the developer console open (command-option-i, I think you have to enable the developer menu in options first) and check the network and console tabs for errors?

Sorry, my bad, missed your first post. I think what happens is this: Safari pre-11 had a very buggy IndexedDB implementation, and I think Safari 11 is stumbling over broken leftovers from Safari 10. Could you try clearing the website data for the domain 6502ts.github.io (it is in settings->privacy->website data)?

• 4 weeks later...

Waaaaaaaaahhhh!!!! It doesn't look like I'll get mine before Christmas. It should have been here yesterday, but the tracking page tells me that it has not moved since:

December 19, 2017, 8:36 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

On the 20th, 21st, and 22nd, it just says "In transit to destination" and it did not update for today. Oh well, I've been playing it on my Encore, but I wanted to read through the manual and admire the box after opening it on Christmas morning. Hopefully, USPS will get it together soon.

Opened box tonight. Either I was full of wine and Christmas cheer, or the final release is significantly harder than the beta levels. Got my name printed in the manual (initial A.W. if anyone's curious). I did not participate in the level design contest (shame on me) but my idea for an Epsilon quadrant was added.

I tested out the delta quadrant and holy cow that first stage! Who'd of thought building two battle stations on top of one another (90 degrees orientation) would proove such a doozie? Shooting at the core is futile and I now have twelve orbs to destroy instead of six... :jango:

Clever design; I commend whomever submitted this stage! :evil:

• Like 1