IGNORED

Fixing Parsec

Gazoo

It was recently brought up in the 'Setting up a 512k cart' thread that the ea5 version of Parsec has issues with the graphics of the ground. I thought I had a version where this wasn't a problem, but I was mistaken. Apparently it's an issue of not having enough room in the 32k expansion memory to fit everything. Well, we have this wonderful new cart that we could include the >6000 Rom area, which should give us 40k, enough room to fix the problem and have a fully working ea5 version of Parsec without having to resort to using a Gram device.

I've collected the various versions I've found in several different formats as well as the recently posted source code in the attached zip file. There's a bunch of really skilled programmers here, would any of you like to assist, or make this a group project?

Gazoo

Parsec.zip

What is missing? I have a version that seems to duplicate the cart (but I may be missing something.) -

All versions I've tried that are ea5 versions have problems with the ground. Watch the ground going by with the real cartridge Grom version and then watch it with the ea5 version. In the ea5 version some of the ground graphics are really a mess.

Gazoo

I don't recall seeing anything like that. I'm fixing to leave Dallas in a bit and I'll check this afternoon. What specifically should I look for?

post-29515-0-65098800-1399215615_thumb.jpgpost-29515-0-06378900-1399215624_thumb.jpg

The ground appears to be duplicated several characters above itself.

Gazoo

I just loaded Parsec from a game disk built around the GPL "simulator" loader. The game does not show any artifacts or problems. I let it run for a while before playing then played up to the Dramite enemies. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I can try to transfer the files this week if no one beats me to it...

Edit: The parsec game consists of four files total.

Edit 2: I let the game run after accidentally pressing the fire button. If the ship crashes due to lack of fuel, later crash sounds are garbled and sound like a crashed TI. These disks are 25 or more years old, so it could be bit rot or a bad dump. Not really sure. The graphics are fine though ;)

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

All versions I've tried that are ea5 versions have problems with the ground. Watch the ground going by with the real cartridge Grom version and then watch it with the ea5 version. In the ea5 version some of the ground graphics are really a mess.

Gazoo

Looks like I had the disk already copied to an image. I zipped all of the files on the disk image including PARSEC. TIFILES format. The loader is XB....

EAGames4.zip

Looks like I had the disk already copied to an image. I zipped all of the files on the disk image including PARSEC. TIFILES format. The loader is XB....

I noticed two issues with this version (running in Classic99): 1. The laser sometimes leaves traces behind on the screen. 2. There is a fuel tunnel coming up much sooner than usual.

This copy exhibits the same behavior as the one Tim posted. Only issues is the fact that some explosions sound like garbled speech for a moment. Graphics are fine as far as I could tell. Also ditto on running on hardware.

It seems ok to me, but I'm not an expert on the matter. Nevertheless, it's a better copy than I had on the 512k gamecart, so I'll use it to replace the one there.

Thanks Marc!

Gazoo

Apparently yours is the same as Marc's. A much better version, Thank you Sir!

Gazoo