IGNORED

Full Color ANSI VBXE terminal in the works

Joey Z

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

So I haven’t been able to get this to run on my 1088XLD + VBXE + P:R:Connection.   As noted way above (and years ago :) ) if started without an R: handler, I just get a screen of rolling garbage characters. If I manually load PRC.SYS to load an R: handler into the system, when I run the program either from the SDX command line with X (e.g., X ANSIVBXE.XEX) or boot a different DOS disk and then binary-load ANSIVBXE.XEX, I get a white cursor on a black screen and a totally non-responsive system. Worse, when I hit System Reset to exit, my VBXE color palette is completely corrupted - usually a solid red screen. If I go to the U1MB BIOS or Loader, the colors are all messed up there too. I have to physically power-cycle the system to get the colors back to normal.

So ... what am I missing here? Should I try to swap my 850 interface module over and use that R: handler? Or is there something else more fundamental going on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

So I haven’t been able to get this to run on my 1088XLD + VBXE + P:R:Connection.   As noted way above (and years ago :) ) if started without an R: handler, I just get a screen of rolling garbage characters. If I manually load PRC.SYS to load an R: handler into the system, when I run the program either from the SDX command line with X (e.g., X ANSIVBXE.XEX) or boot a different DOS disk and then binary-load ANSIVBXE.XEX, I get a white cursor on a black screen and a totally non-responsive system. Worse, when I hit System Reset to exit, my VBXE color palette is completely corrupted - usually a solid red screen. If I go to the U1MB BIOS or Loader, the colors are all messed up there too. I have to physically power-cycle the system to get the colors back to normal.

So ... what am I missing here? Should I try to swap my 850 interface module over and use that R: handler? Or is there something else more fundamental going on?

I got the exact same symptoms.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, DrVenkman said:

You were using the version from april 7th, 2015? White cursor on a black screen is basically what you'll see when the terminal is working but not hooked up to anything. Do you get keyclick? I can't remember if I left keyclick on or not, think I did. Might even be done in the terminal software itself (or maybe that was the bell character where I was messing with the internal 'speaker').

Try using a piece of wire to short TX to RX on the PRC and see if you get characters echoed back.

EDIT: checked the source, no keyclick seems to be implemented. Nevermind that then. See if you can get echo.

Edited by Joey Z
correction for keyclick comments

On 7/7/2020 at 6:51 PM, Mr Robot said:

The last release was April 2015. It's been a busy 5 years!

j/k I know how that goes

yeah, it was several years of school, internships during the summer, and now employment and moving to my own place. I'm just as busy as ever even with the pandemic. Besides that, I've got a list of projects, things to be fixed, etc. spanning several pages and it's always growing. Several Atari projects have taken the backburner. I really would like to get back to this though. Well, I really should get back to paying work now....

1 hour ago, Joey Z said:

Try using a piece of wire to short TX to RX on the PRC and see if you get characters echoed back.

EDIT: checked the source, no keyclick seems to be implemented. Nevermind that then. See if you can get echo.

On the RS232C port? Cool, I'll give it a shot. *off to find the pinout ...*

20 minutes ago, Joey Z said:

Yep I have a copy. I couldn’t get that to work with a wire jumper so I disconnected my Lantronix box from my Incognito 800+850 and moved it to my 1088XLD (which has the VBXE board)+PRC. 

Now it works. Cool. :)

Love to see you get back to this one at some point, Joey, but I know life gets in the way. 

266C8367-9A01-4FF1-BE8F-4E967ED192E3.jpeg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Yep I have a copy. I couldn’t get that to work with a wire jumper so I disconnected my Lantronix box from my Incognito 800+850 and moved it to my 1088XLD (which has the VBXE board)+PRC. 

Now it works. Cool. :)

Love to see you get back to this one at some point, Joey, but I know life gets in the way. 

266C8367-9A01-4FF1-BE8F-4E967ED192E3.jpeg

Good that you got it figured out. Hopefully Stephen can figure it out too, if he was looking to mess around with it.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 4:19 AM, Jacques said:

How could I miss VBXE terminal program, which I hoped we have for a long, long time?

Will get it a shot coming days with same BBS's and IRC, can't wait :)

I guess there's no problem to work with 19200 speed, as it's in case of ICE-T?

unfortunately for you, it's far from complete, and is barely usable. Color is supported, maybe clearing the screen, but you can't call it a fully featured terminal emulator by any means. Config is hardcoded, etc. Lots to be done, but I'm busy. Some Day (TM) I'll get around to working on it again and/or posting the source so others can work on it on their own.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 7/15/2020 at 4:21 PM, Joey Z said:

unfortunately for you, it's far from complete, and is barely usable. Color is supported, maybe clearing the screen, but you can't call it a fully featured terminal emulator by any means. Config is hardcoded, etc. Lots to be done, but I'm busy. Some Day (TM) I'll get around to working on it again and/or posting the source so others can work on it on their own.

how to add code support ?

ESC [ NEW_ROW ; NEW_COLUM H

CSI n ; m H CUP

Cursor Position

Moves the cursor to row n, column m. The values are 1-based, and default to 1 (top left corner) if omitted. A sequence such as CSI ;5H is a synonym for CSI 1;5H as well as CSI 17;H is the same as CSI 17H and CSI 17;1H

ansi.png

ansi_correct.png

image above is from VBXE, below is from PC

ansi.7z

Edited by tebe