IGNORED

Looking for advice about Jaguar

xucaen

I'm thinking of getting into the Jaguar. I really like the list of games available, and I love that there is a thriving community of fans and homebrew developers for the Jaguar. I love my Atari 2600, and I think the Jaguar would fit well with my gaming needs and interests.

Well, here's the thing: obviously, the consoles are expensive right now, so I would expect to pay more than $100US for a complete working system.

I have a Sega Genesis and 32x, and I am not really getting into it. I was never really happy with the list of available games for it. I thought I could get into it, and was even thinking about getting a Sega CD - I saw some really nice game I'd like to get -, but likewise, Sega CDs are expensive right now. I put alot of work into the Sega over the years but only have 4 games for it. I cleaned it inside and out, bought new cables for it, bought new 6 button controllers for it. It's a nice system... I don't know, what do you guys think? If I sell the Sega and 32x system with the games I have, maybe I'd get enough to set up a Jaguar system. Do you all think that is a good trade? Is the Jaguar worthy of sacrificing a Genesis/32x for? Or should I stick it out with Sega and get the Sega CD?

Uhhh keep the Genesis, and if you feel like you need more, get a Sega CD.

So, what games do you recommend for the Genesis? Sega CD is too expensive on eBay, is there someplace else? There aren't any flea markets or pawn shops near me.

I have a Jaguar/JaguarCD and a Genesis/32X/CD.

Good games can be found on both. You're not going to find anything quite like the best games on the Atari Combo that you will find on the Sega combo, and the same is true the other way around.

Which games?

i recommend using youtube if you have a little spare time you can see firsthand the differences and make a decision based on your own preferences.

But as a few examples, Super Burnout looks much better than anything you will find on the genesis and plays just as good. Iron Soldier is much better than Machine Head. Games like tempest 2000, Defender 2000, Missile Command 3D, Battlemorph, and Alien VS Predator really have no equal on the Genesis.

The 32X has stuff like Spiderman: Web of Fire, Virtua Fighter, Virtua racing .etc that are better in their respective categories than comparable jaguar games. I even really like tempo :P

The Sega CD IMO blends in with the Genesis library, as games on that platform dont offer much over what you find on the Genesis. But some did get big enhancements like shadow of the beast 2 (based on the FM Towns version) and Eternal Champions.

I'm not a hardcore Sega genesis fan (had a SNES back then) so you might want to ask one of them to crank out a list of must-have genesis cart titles! to me a lot of genesis games are strikingly similar in regard to gameplay, and the limited color palette and sound hardware, combined with the heavily tileized levels (level geometry in 3D games is often substantially more unique) kind of blur a lot of the Genesis games for me, but there are a handful that really stand out for me.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

I'm thinking of getting into the Jaguar. I really like the list of games available, and I love that there is a thriving community of fans and homebrew developers for the Jaguar. I love my Atari 2600, and I think the Jaguar would fit well with my gaming needs and interests.

Well, here's the thing: obviously, the consoles are expensive right now, so I would expect to pay more than $100US for a complete working system.

I have a Sega Genesis and 32x, and I am not really getting into it. I was never really happy with the list of available games for it. I thought I could get into it, and was even thinking about getting a Sega CD - I saw some really nice game I'd like to get -, but likewise, Sega CDs are expensive right now. I put alot of work into the Sega over the years but only have 4 games for it. I cleaned it inside and out, bought new cables for it, bought new 6 button controllers for it. It's a nice system... I don't know, what do you guys think? If I sell the Sega and 32x system with the games I have, maybe I'd get enough to set up a Jaguar system. Do you all think that is a good trade? Is the Jaguar worthy of sacrificing a Genesis/32x for? Or should I stick it out with Sega and get the Sega CD?

The Genesis is a good system, but it's so easy to emulate now that I don't think it's really worth it to keep the system. I'm a huge fan of the Sega Saturn, and I do have a couple of good games for the Dreamcast. I think I actually like the Sega Master System more than I do the Genesis.

IMHO, get a Jag, and then also get a Saturn. :)

• Like 2

The Jaguar is one of the few retro systems I don't own and I guess I feel that most of the things about it that interest me are already covered elsewhere and, if you factor in the cost of the hardware, there isn't a whole lot of reason for me to get one.

I've known and loved the Mega Drive (Genesis) since I was 10 and, if it's a vast library of inexpensive quality games that you want, the MD will serve you a lot better than the Jaguar.

If you want a 32-bit powerhouse, I recommend the Saturn. It has a huge library of ports that would cost you a fortune if you bought them on other systems.

Overall, Sega will give you a lot more bang for your buck than Atari. The only Atari consoles worth getting IMO are the VCS/2600 and the Lynx.

Edited by English Invader
  • Like 1

The thing with the Sega, is that - as I do my research into games, most of the games are RPG and platformers. I don't like either of those genres. Believe me, I tried to like them over the years, I just don't. RPGs put me to sleep and platformers cause me anxiety. I know, weird, but there it is.

I love arcade style shooters and action/adventure games and puzzle games. With the Jaguar, when I saw the list of games available, they are mostly arcade style shooters and some racing games. I think I'd buy one right now but the sellers on ebay are asking far too much for them. (maybe after reality sets in and they lower their prices then I can get one).

To aid in my decision making, I did a little bit of research into homebrew games. Both Genesis and Jaguar have a homebrew scene. Jag seems a little more organized and open, but both have dev kits out there for C development, so that gives me another way to enjoy either system.

Really it all comes down to money. If I was employed I wouldn't think twice and buy a Jag and a bunch of games. But money is tight, and that is why I was considering selling my Sega to earn the money to pay for the Jag and wondering if it was worth the trade. But what I am hearing from you all is: don't! And that is OK. :)

I'm giving my Sega Genesis research one more shot. I have a list of 16 games that I am looking into and that's only because I am giving side-scrolling shooters another chance. And I can't buy any CD games because people are asking too much for the Sega CD. (When did people start thinking they could get rich on old game systems> But that is a topic for another discussion)
Thanks, everyone! I'll keep my Genesis and take a closer look at games. When I find a new job, the Jag is mine. :D

I love arcade style shooters and action/adventure games and puzzle games. With the Jaguar, when I saw the list of games available, they are mostly arcade style shooters and some racing games. I think I'd buy one right now but the sellers on ebay are asking far too much for them. (maybe after reality sets in and they lower their prices then I can get one).

Considering that this is one of the criticisms of the Jag, that the library has too many shooters, I think you may have answered your own question here.

Jaguar is really a system between two eras. So Super Burn Out and Power Drive Rally end up being some of the best titles in their genre -- those styles of games just aren't as common commercially in the Sony/Microsoft era. The Jaguar's launch titles, Dino Dudes (puzzle) and Raiden (shooter) are both excellent but didn't come across as the promised leap from the Nintendo/Sega era. Cannon Fodder is also nice and cheap pickup for the puzzle/strategy crowd and Flashback is an excellent action/adventure that might not share the same stress as a normal platformer. Also in the racing category, Val D'Isere Skiing is an affordable quality pickup.

Then the Jaguar also has some good 3D games, like Doom, AvP, and Skyhammer. The latter two might be too expensive. Tempest 2000 is an obvious must-purchase.

• Like 1

The thing with the Sega, is that - as I do my research into games, most of the games are RPG and platformers. I don't like either of those genres. Believe me, I tried to like them over the years, I just don't. RPGs put me to sleep and platformers cause me anxiety. I know, weird, but there it is.

I find this paragraph a bit perplexing.

If anything, vs Nintendo consoles (especially), SEGA have always been the go-to consoles for Shoot Em Ups and Arcade Games. It also has it's fair share of platformers, but when referring to RPG's and Platformers, that's really the Nintendo's strengths tbh, not "SEGA's".

Seriously. I have a 2x shelves of Shoot Em Ups and Arcade Games that belong specifically to my SEGA Saturn and, to a lesser extent, similarly to my Megadrive.

I think your research is a tad off kilter! :woozy:

• Like 3

Damn! I totally forgot about that. Will sort out that list for you this coming week. Apologies for the delay...

Thanks! I appreciate it. I've bought a couple of others off eBay over the past few days. I'm starting to realize there were quite a few more games than I thought.

I find this paragraph a bit perplexing.

If anything, vs Nintendo consoles (especially), SEGA have always been the go-to consoles for Shoot Em Ups and Arcade Games. It also has it's fair share of platformers, but when referring to RPG's and Platformers, that's really the Nintendo's strengths tbh, not "SEGA's".

Seriously. I have a 2x shelves of Shoot Em Ups and Arcade Games that belong specifically to my SEGA Saturn and, to a lesser extent, similarly to my Megadrive.

I think your research is a tad off kilter! :woozy:

I spent almost all day researching Genesis games. Here are the games I found that looked like I might enjoy them, along with current prices on eBay. Am I missing something? I found so many more RPGs and Platformers than I did shooters, and I think I saw 1 puzzle game that didn't interest me.

Edit: in this thread whenever I mention "Sega" I mean the Genesis. I noticed you mentioned the Saturn but I don't own a Saturn.

FPS
------------
Zero Tolerance
->like Doom but with Genesis graphics
-> $3 - $10
vertical shooters
-----------------
M.U.S.H.A.
-> VERY EXPENSIVE > $200.00
-> mech shooter
-> apparently this is the best vertical shooter on Genesis
Truxton
->$24 - $40
Vapor Trail
->rare import if you can find it.
Grind Stormer
-> expensive: > $50.00
side-scrolling shooters
------------------------------
Thunder Force III
-> apparently this is the best of the Thunderforce series
-> $20 - $35
Thunder Force II
-> very cheap < $10
Thunder Force IV/Lightning Force (sequel to TFIII)
->rare import, not available on ebay
Air Buster
-> cheap $3 - $15
Bio-Hazard Battle
->about $10
Eliminate Down
-> very expensive about $100
Gaiares
-> $10 -$25
shooter platformers
---------------------------
Alien Soldier
-> reproduction cartridges > $10
-> original cartridges $50 - $100
Gunstar heroes
-> $30 - $50
Ranger X
-> $10 - $20
Vectorman
-> $6 - $10
Vectorman 2
-> $10 - $15
Contra: Hard Corps
->$20 - $45
"Zelda" type games
------------------------
Crusader of Centy
-> very expensive $100 - $500
LandStalker
-> $12 - $25
->annoying but could be fun with sound turned down.
top-down shooters
---------------------------
Gauntlet IV
-> $12 - $20
Maybe I want to try sports games?
------------------------------------
NHL '94
-> apparently the best Hockey game of all time.
-> $8 - $12
Racing games
-------------------
Road Rash 2
-> motor cycle racing with a whip
-> looks like fun
-> $12 - $20
Super Hang-On
->it's Road Rash 2 without the whip
-> $3 - $10
Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP 2
->all the bells and whistles of racing
-> $5 but scarce

One thing I am noticing, there really aren't any vertical or side-scrolling 2D shooters for Jaguar. But there are alot of 3D shooters,

for 2D I have found

• Raiden
  • Trevor McFur

are there any others?

One thing I am noticing, there really aren't any vertical or side-scrolling 2D shooters for Jaguar. But there are alot of 3D shooters,

for 2D I have found

• Raiden
  • Trevor McFur

are there any others?

I suppose you could very well include:

Total Carnage - Vertical Shooter-esque

Protector & Protector SE - Horizontal manually scrolling shooter

Defender 2000 - Horizontal manually scrolling shooter

Maybe more, but can't think of them off-hand...

for 2D I have found

• Raiden
  • Trevor McFur

are there any others?

Consider picking up a Saturn. It has, by far (at least in my opinion) the best shmup library of the 1990s, with the PS1 in a close second. You will need to import, but that's easy on the Saturn.