IGNORED

quick question about homebrew games

xucaen

The AA store has 3 Jaguar homebrew games for sale and the AA rarity guide has 4 "self published" games - none of which are the game for sale at the AA store.

I searched for "list of jaguar homebrew games" but the AA forum threads I found have links which no longer work.

The "Jaguar Homebrew Projects" thread has a bunch of games listed. How are people playing these on real hardware? Or will they become available on the AA store?

JagCD (with a CD-R), Skunkboard, BJL cable... there are several solutions.

I found some info about the skinkboard and BJL but couldn't really find any details other than they plug unto the Jaguar. Are they similar to flash carts?

The Skunkboard is a rewritable 8 MB cartridge that can hold up to two games. The ROMs are transferred thru USB (there's no SD card reader, unlike some other flash carts for other consoles). It can be used to run any non-CD homebrew game.

BJL is an older system, which runs homebrew games from internal RAM only. As a result, the games can be 2 MB at most, but since it's been the only affordable solution for years, most homebrew games are compatible. Games are transferred thru a special cable that connects a PC's parallel port to the right joypad connector on the Jaguar. BJL-compatible games also work on the Skunkboard and on the Jaguar CD (using a conversion tool).

CD-based games are, well, games on a CD-R that require a Jaguar CD.

• Like 1

BJL is an older system, which runs homebrew games from internal RAM only. As a result, the games can be 2 MB at most, but since it's been the only affordable solution for years, most homebrew games are compatible. Games are transferred thru a special cable that connects a PC's parallel port to the right joypad connector on the Jaguar. BJL-compatible games also work on the Skunkboard and on the Jaguar CD (using a conversion tool).

BJL also requires you hardware modify (swap the BIOS chip) of the Jaguar, and have a source PC with compatible parallel port. Cheapest option, but requires some tinkering. Oh and there are some games that have BJL upload capability built into them, which would bypass the need to modify your console, but obviously would require you have one of these games.

I cannot remember all off them off the top of my head, but Protector SE has it in and also Downfall+ (IIRC).. there are possibly others..

• Like 3