IGNORED

New NES console announced by Analogue Interactive

I'm bothered by the great attention they give to the stupid aluminum case, but no real details on the actual console specs. It's kind of insulting, actually.

I agree, completely! When I first saw the article listed on Yahoo (I think it was) and blathering about the case, I had hoped for something that at least looks reminiscent of the original NES case, kind of like the ill-fated Generation NEX famiclone.....

post-16281-0-07161500-1399441667_thumb.jpg

Now that's a case that gets me interested. Instead, for $500 you get a fugly aluminum thing?

As far as I know they're just taking a real NES, hacking it, and putting it into an over-engineered case.

That's my assumption as well, though there's nothing to really confirm that. If that's the case, now you're talking about literally spending $500 on an NES that someone pulled out of a thrift store. It's not even a new board. Which begs the question... why pay that kind of money for a 30-year-old motherboard? Granted NESes are ridiculously durable, cart socket excluded, but they DO have a failure rate, and you have to add that natural failure rate to three decades of unknown ownership (MOM! Billy poured Yoo-Hoo in the Nintendo!) and add to THAT the risk carried by whatever mods they do to it.

$500 is absurd.

• Like 2

Did the price of the real deal NES front loader go up by an insane amount while I was away or something? I can't see this as a real thing right now. I was sure it was a joke when I saw the price tag. Maybe I missed something on April Fools Day this year or something, but it looks like they actually want people to spend money on this.

Who are they trying to sell this to? People that are in the hobby will know better, hipsters are going to want the original for shelf appeal, and the people that are after this hobby for the money are going to get the original and try to jack it's price up with no worry for this thing. I really don't get the point of this thing.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong, maybe it's a terrible tragedy.

• Like 1

That's my assumption as well, though there's nothing to really confirm that. If that's the case, now you're talking about literally spending $500 on an NES that someone pulled out of a thrift store. It's not even a new board. Which begs the question... why pay that kind of money for a 30-year-old motherboard? Granted NESes are ridiculously durable, cart socket excluded, but they DO have a failure rate, and you have to add that natural failure rate to three decades of unknown ownership (MOM! Billy poured Yoo-Hoo in the Nintendo!) and add to THAT the risk carried by whatever mods they do to it.

$500 is absurd.

Yeah, but...theirs goes to 11.

• Like 1

I agree, Thomas does amazing work but he seems to have completely disappeared from youtube. Kinda bummed about that, he was such a great guy on youtube. Really liked him and his videos.

Maybe people asking him to do the Mod I'm one of them...and he didn't want to do it

That would suck if it was true

I think the issue is that it's "just" an old NES with a RGB/component PPU crammed in and with HDMI ouptut. In a pretty uninspired case.

Would it be all made of new components (and come on, making a new Ricoh CPU that is based on the still made 6502 shouldn't be THAT hard.) maybe it would be worth the price. And yet, back in 1990, the very first NES clones were Famicom boards and chip clones, so hardware clones and not emulations, and they still were cheaper than the original famicom!

Eastern European versions even were able to play the games at 60htz and output 50htz picture!

By now a real hardware NES clone shouldn't be worth more than 200$, EVEN with an alloy case.

0_e654c_1186a34b_L.jpg

(Famiclone with UMC chips, typical of the very early Famiclones)

• Like 1

Hey, you don't go into a purchase like that expecting to get some kind of "deal"... it's an indulgence.

I don't think anyone was expecting this to be cheap. I would have happily paid $200 - $300 for a new and fully compatible NES console, a controller and HDMI output. The price they've released it at is an insult to the community. Also, we were lied to as they said NES consoles were not being scavenged for parts and HDMI support is just through an external scaler. It doesn't matter what they end up dropping the price to, I'm not giving them money for this.

• Like 3

It doesn't matter what they end up dropping the price to, I'm not giving them money for this.

I dunno... if they end up blowing out their unsold stock for $99.99, I might be in. Provided they do something about that ugly damn case. :P

• Like 1

I dunno... if they end up blowing out their unsold stock for $99.99, I might be in. Provided they do something about that ugly damn case. :P

I doubt that's going to happen. It seems as if they've been having orders coming in and they've already posted that they understand demand will be low for this item. They're just looking to milk the few dozen people who'll throw money away on this and move on.

I doubt that's going to happen. It seems as if they've been having orders coming in and they've already posted that they understand demand will be low for this item. They're just looking to milk the few dozen people who'll throw money away on this and move on.

I wonder how low of a production run they had on those cases, though. To get a halfway decent unit cost, they must've ordered a few dozen at least.

If they're machining those on an on-demand basis, they're way overpaying. Which would make this project even stupider.

I wonder how low of a production run they had on those cases, though. To get a halfway decent unit cost, they must've ordered a few dozen at least.

If they're machining those on an on-demand basis, they're way overpaying. Which would make this project even stupider.

I can see only serious collectors will buy this stuff.

It's a really hard sell. NEO GEO fans are already tenderized by high prices. I bought a refurb NES with new contacts for $75 and have been extremely pleased with its composite output.

Errr. Isn't that, like, 55$ too much for a NES? Unless it's a complete boxed set or something?

yea 75 would be my upper crust for a already done, top notch front load system (with 2 controllers and all the cables) , Ill never pay that cause I DIY everything, but its not plauseable depending on market and condition

Edited by Osgeld

The only people who would buy this are people who just blow money away because they have nothing better to do with it besides paying $500 for a bottle of water... yep thats your market. The nintendo fans of the 1% of the nation.

Its kind of like on 2 and a half men when Charlie tells Chelsea he has an $80,000 car. She asks him what his car does that other cars don't. He replied; it's $80,000.

• Like 1

Sarcasm?

Yes indeed.

That's remind me something but I won't tell you. I would hurt somebody's feelings.

The only people who would buy this are people who just blow money away because they have nothing better to do with it besides paying $500 for a bottle of water... yep thats your market. The nintendo fans of the 1% of the nation.

Its kind of like on 2 and a half men when Charlie tells Chelsea he has an $80,000 car. She asks him what his car does that other cars don't. He replied; it's $80,000.

This Nes is for collectors only . They'll buy this stuff and sell them to e-bay.

Of course you can buy a Wii-U for less.

Edited by Serguei2

Since were on the subject of cars, I know many BMW owners who spent BIG money on buying or leasing these expensive cars and getting stuck on the side of the road or at my local gas stations. Which I understand because of that getting stuck situation and feel for them because nobody wants to go though that.

At the same time when I was looking to purchase a daily car to go to work, I found a 1991 Ford Explorer on Craigslist from a seller for $700 in great condition (in & out). It runs like a champ and I just maintain the SUV regularly.

Remember, you don't have to spend a lot to get great results all the time!

Edited by fdurso224

"The NES. Often called the most iconic video game system of all time. Today, to experience its greatness, options are limited and riddled with compromises." Whaaaaa ?

NES decks are about as hard to come by as sand in the desert....what exactly does this thing 'do' for the $500 they are asking? (Original hardware/cheap - what am I missing here?)

I think this device might be geared towards these specific demographics:

A. Trust fund brats with an endless bank account.

B. Naive fanboys

C. Those with seemingly nothing better to spend $500 on.

• Like 4

"NES decks are about as hard to come by as sand in the desert....what exactly does this thing 'do' for the $500 they are asking? (Original hardware/cheap - what am I missing here?)

It's essentially an RGB modded NES in a machined aluminum case. RGB modded NESes seem to be going for $250-$300....so essentially you're paying 200-250 more for a case that you might think is cool or not.

I'd imagine they'll sell out as its easier to click buy for 500 dollars than it is to go find a reputable modder to put a viletim board together with a toaster.