IGNORED

Atari 7800 MCP Development Kits

CPUWIZ

Most people know what this is, and this is all I can deliver at this time, so I leave it at that. Pictures are of of the 10 (not yet shrinkwrapped) kits in their boxes and the contents of each box.

I have little time these days, so I make it short, I am asking $100.00 for each of these. Shipping is extra.

This could be the missing MagiCard, the 7800 never had. ;)

I will go in the order of inquiries, so you snooze, you lose.

Also, PayPal is not an option, if you request one of these, make sure you have someone that you can trust to send the money another way. I am sorry, but I do not have much time. :(

PM: Subject: "7800 MCP Request".

Sorry guys, this stuff is a lot of work, I don't have that much time.

P.S. They are in 100% identical boxes to a standard 2600 Combat box, but I made sure to put a crappy sticker on it and have them shrinkwrapped shitty on purpose, they are not for collecting. Use them!

:)

If RevEng feels like chiming in, he can explain some more tech details, I just had a few in between compiles. He may even have a surprise for some.

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

• Like 15

I'm interested in the cable. Would you be willing to sell one by itself, with information on how it works? I'm looking for ways to upload code to my overclocked 2600 system. Wouldn't want to take one of the special 7800 carts from a developer (it probably wouldn't get much use here). Thanks :)

The tech details...

The MCP DevCart can run non-bankswitch games as-is. For bankswitched games, it follows the Atari Supergame scheme, except the hotspot is at $3000 instead of $8000, and you need to OR your hotspot destination data with #$18.

My personal branch of 7800basic - which I'll release soon - already has support for the bankswitch scheme, so 7800basic devs will only need to add a single "set mcpdevcart on" at the top of their bankswitched program to start working with it. CPUWIZ has provided a devcart to me so I can support its use in 7800basic going forward.

Back to the cart. It's NVRAM based, so you can treat any bit of it like ROM, RAM, or NVRAM. So you could use it for mega-hungry RAM games, built-in save games, or even self-modifying code! Since it's NVRAM, you can take a written cart anywhere. Handily, the MCP bios doesn't get overwritten, so it's equally easy to run a bunch of successive tests.

The MCP DevCart doesn't require any modification to your 7800; the cart itself has a signed bios image that will switch itself out when it runs your program.

I think that's about it, but feel free to chime in here with any tech questions you have about the cart.

And the small surprise...

theloon is 100% correct that this cart is for developers. Each image will need to be loaded from your PC or laptop to the cart. It also won't run non-supergame schemes, like Activision.

However, as I said earlier, it will run non-banked games without any change. Additionally, I went ahead and converted the following bankswitched games to the $3000 hotspot scheme...

basketbrawl-mcp.bin

darkchamb-mcp.bin

fatalrun-mcp.bin

fightnight-mcp144.bin

ikariwarriors-mcp.bin

jinks-mcp.bin

klax-mcp.bin

matmania-mcp.bin

mean18-mcp.bin

midnightm-mcp.bin

motorpsycho-mcp.bin

ninjagolf-mcp.bin

planetsmashers-mcp.bin

plutos-mcp.bin

possiblemission-mcp.bin

scrapyard-mcp.bin

sirius-mcp.bin

summerg-mcp.bin

towertop-mcp.bin

waterski-mcp.bin

winterg-mcp.bin

xenophobe-mcp.bin

...and I'll likely do a few more in the coming days. I'll post these modified game binaries soon, so people will have something to run on their MCP DevCarts when they arrive.

Edited by RevEng
  • Like 5

Is this how the memory is mapped for the supercarts? Is this the only mapping scheme?

Fixed NVRAM at $4000

Banked NVRAM at $8000

Fixed NVRAM at $C000

On-board Pokey support?

Will it work with a High Score Cart? XBOARD?

Is this how the memory is mapped for the supercarts? Is this the only mapping scheme?

Fixed NVRAM at $4000

Banked NVRAM at $8000

Fixed NVRAM at $C000

On-board Pokey support?

Will it work with a High Score Cart? XBOARD?

Yes, that is the only mapping scheme.

These do not have POKEY's, nor a slot for one.

Don't know, do not have access to either, I assume they will both work fine.

I have another question. Can NVRAM be mapped to $1000 and $3000 so I can load High Score Cart BIOS and emulate it for development? This is what I did with DKXM on Prosystem to test HSC support.

No.

I'm not speaking for CPUWIZ, but I'm pretty sure you'll get a second chance.

I made a quick demo so you guys know what to expect...

...the tinyurl address at the end links back here, so don't bother typing it in. :P

[edit] Also, the soundtrack you hear in the video is pokey based. The DevCart here won't actually be playing pokey tunes since there's no pokey... :ponder:

Edited by RevEng
  • Like 7

Thanks mate, I am glad it worked out of the box so easily. :thumbsup:

I want to make more of these, especially POKEY versions (which will be slightly more, of course, different PCB, more components, more work...), BUT!

I am running out of 100% functioning CX-40 joystick cords, out of my big box of joysticks, I had to throw away a bunch of ones where the cord didn't have all 6 connections intact. I've harvested about 20, but aside from these 10, there is two of mine and Rev's, as well as 2 other devs. Bob had to hack his own onto his one.

I also have gotten absolutely zero response to this: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225079-wanted-atari-7800-donor-carts/

So, if anyone has something needed, I'd love to hear about it. It would speed things up a bit.

Cheers :)

I want to make more of these, especially POKEY versions (which will be slightly more, of course, different PCB, more components, more work...), BUT!

I am running out of 100% functioning CX-40 joystick cords, out of my big box of joysticks, I had to throw away a bunch of ones where the cord didn't have all 6 connections intact. I've harvested about 20, but aside from these 10, there is two of mine and Rev's, as well as 2 other devs. Bob had to hack his own onto his one.

I also have gotten absolutely zero response to this: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225079-wanted-atari-7800-donor-carts/

So, if anyone has something needed, I'd love to hear about it. It would speed things up a bit.

I have a ton of cx-40's which are busted. How many do you need?

You most probably already know but just in case, in the US you can buy those cable as "genesis controller extension cable" [both eBay and Amazon carry some].

It's probably cheaper to scavenge for CX40 cables but you can compensate with those by charging on average 6-8US$, I think it's acceptable but then again I found it acceptable to pay 7US$ for just one 27C801 EPROM ;-)

By the way, I've never told you, but you're doing a terrific job for the 7800 community.

Edited by phoenixdownita