IGNORED

HDX -- Users / Status Update

Omega-TI

HDX -- User Demographics  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own an HDX card?

2. 2. If you do not currently own an HDX card, do you plan to upgrade?

• Yes - I plan to purchase one in the future
    • No - I already have something else
    • N/A - I'm just not interested
    • N/A - I already have one
  3. 3. If you already own one, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being best) how happy are you with it?

• X
    • XX
    • XXX
    • XXXX
    • XXXXX
    • XXXXXX
    • XXXXXXX
    • XXXXXXXX
    • XXXXXXXXX
    • XXXXXXXXXX
    • Don't know yet, I have one but it's not yet assembled or installed.
    • N/A -- I don't own one

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I take it HDX is to the TI was Drivewire is to the CoCo. I have no desire to buy a PEB and RS232 card but if there is a small alternative that plugs directly into the expansion port I might be up for that.

The nanopeb supports the hdx protocol using the software provided by fred kaal to 'simulate' a hdx dsr using the nanopeb rs232 port.. works on both versions the 16550 and 9902

Greg

Look at my website to see all hdx can do. www.arcadeshopper.com/wp click on store then ti hardware

• Like 2

The Nano and HDX support is strictly for copying files to your mounted drive images though via CF2k I believe and you cannot access the typical 'HDX1.FILENAME' to load programs from EA, etc.

Correct.. It only gives you a disk manager that supports HDX.. and you can use that with a standard ti card, corcomp card or nanopeb .. and a serial cable I haven't got a myarc card to test with

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
41 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

Here ya go: is @F.G. Kaal’s BOM.

...lee

Thanks Lee,

Looks like it's just a generic list and not a Mousser or Digikey parts number list.

Still much better than nothing at all.

Much appreciated for the link that you provided.

Looks like Fred Kaal has a lot of projects for the TI, absolutely incredible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Any reason why not to use ROM instead of RAM for the HDX DSR?

Part of that RAM is used for the text buffer and, I think, Fred (@F.G. Kaal) provided for swapping the HDX and TI DSRs as needed. I think ROM would have complicated the design, but Fred and others here know better than I.

...lee

9 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Any reason why not to use ROM instead of RAM for the HDX DSR?

Because the data buffers and program stack are also in the RAM.

And it is much easier to load a new DSR in RAM instead of distributing (E)PROMS.

And I am also al lazy programmer ... I never tried to continiously read/write DSR dat from/to VDP RAM. This DSR (and the IDE DSR and the TIBUS DSR) does it only once and that is much easier to do.

Edited by F.G. Kaal
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

And I am also al lazy programmer ... I never tried to continiously read/write DSR dat from/to VDP RAM. This DSR (and the IDE DSR and the TIBUS DSR) does it only once and that is much easier to do.

Does not seem lazy to me, but efficient.  Since I have no problems burning ROMs, I considered the possibility of getting caught with a dead battery and no DSR at some point and just using a ROM, instead.  But with RAM in the equation that is not an easy option.  No biggie.

I am considering modifying a spare RS232 for HDX since I use it frequently (via CFHDX in the XB2.7 module) and I would love to be able to use it as a real device.  I am also thinking I can modify the daughterboard for a rechargeable ML2032.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Does not seem lazy to me, but efficient.  Since I have no problems burning ROMs, I considered the possibility of getting caught with a dead battery and no DSR at some point and just using a ROM, instead.  But with RAM in the equation that is not an easy option.  No biggie.

I am considering modifying a spare RS232 for HDX since I use it frequently (via CFHDX in the XB2.7 module) and I would love to be able to use it as a real device.  I am also thinking I can modify the daughterboard for a rechargeable ML2032.

Studing the TI disccontroller DSR is on my to-do list. I just wan't to know how it is done.

Using a rechargable battery is also a good idea ... never thought about it. ?

• Like 2