IGNORED

Top 10 PS1 / Playstation Games

Brittney helps me with our Top 10 PS1 Games & we discuss our first Playstation memories + Honorable Mentions! This list isn't like most Top 10 lists, but that's ok.

Games shown:

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. XenoGears
3. Breath of Fire III
4. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
5. Twisted Metal 2
6. Einhander
7. Resident Evil II
8. Chrono Cross
9. Tetris PLUS!
10. Fear Effect 1&2
What would be on your list? What did we miss?
  • Like 2

First memory was playing Resident Evil circa 1996 and that's when I went out and got my own Playstation. Wipeout and FFVII were the next in line.....along with PSM magazine. It brought me back to consoles, great times indeed.

My top 10:

1. Metal Gear Solid

2. Resident Evil 2

3. Suikoden II

4. Final Fantasy VIII

5. Castlevania SOTN

6. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

7. Chrono Cross

8. Xenogears

9. Parasite Eve 2

10. Crash Bandicoot 3

Honorable mentions:

Tomba

Front Mission 3

Valkarie Profile

Legend of Dragoon

Vagrant Story

Final Fantasy Tactics

Star Ocean: 2nd Story

Thousand Arms

Persona 2

Guardians Crusade

FF 7, FF9

The only games on the above list I never finished are: Persona 2, FF tactics (too hard) and Star Ocean.

Edited by cimerians

Ace Combat 3 - Later game, but raised the graphical bar significantly over the earlier games. There's nothing even close on any of the competing consoles of the generation.

Doom - While this old thing has been around on many platforms and iterations, the Playstation port was just flat-out excellent for the time, and console-link was even better.

Driver - Incredibly fun car-chase game that paved the way for all the others that followed. If you want car chases only and not wasting time "on foot" like modern games, this was the one.

Formula One (the FIRST one from Psygnosis) - This is like a next-gen version of Sega's Virtua Racing, with all the fun of that game and more. Had never seen anything like this, before. Never got into later games in this type of racing. Console-link doubled the fun.

Gran Turismo!!! - ONLY the first one. This blew the lid off of racing games and ushered in the modern era!

Need for Speed (the first one) - Before Gran Turismo came out, THIS was an amazing game. Since not many people had access to a $700 3DO, this is the version they played, and it was incredible for an early title. Racing on pavement or dirt in 3D for the first time. Console-link doubled the fun. (The 2nd game was different and disappointing, but the 3rd NFS introduced cop-chase that revived the glory of the series. Since then, "Need for Speed" has become a meaningless brand-name moniker tacked onto so many unrelated games that it is entirely irrelevant.)

Poy Poy - Sleeper Konami title that's one of the best 4-player mindless party games ever. Today, this would only qualify as a "minigame" but it was awesome. ANYBODY (non-gamers and gamers alike) could have a 4-player bash-fest without having to read a manual.

Rally Cross - the first one. Incredibly-fun 2-player off-road racing that looked and played great and moved the bar.

Soul Blade - Weapons-based fighting game that brought the arcade home - for real - with this awesome port.

Tekken 3 - Unbelievable arcade action in this fighting game. Raised the graphical bar significantly (amazing backgrounds) over predecessors, and introduced the ability to step-in and out of the frame in a 3rd dimension, which introduce a new way to dodge your opponent. This game was over-the top, for the time.

V-Rally 2 - The most "advanced" rally-racing game on the system, and great fun. Almost all of the innumerable rally-racing games that have come out on all the myriad systems in the past 15 years *definitely* take something from this genre-defining game.

Vigilante 8 Second Offense - While Twisted Metal series got all the hype for being the original car-combat game, this is where it's at for car-combat of the time. The first game was great, but the second included amazing improvements to level design for the time, and the levels of the first game are available with a code.

Wipeout XL - This second "anti-gravity" racing game has some of the best graphics ever seen on the system, surpassing the original, and it's hard to fault the on-screen graphics even in this modern day. System link was a dream come true.

• Like 1

Driver - Incredibly fun car-chase game that paved the way for all the others that followed. If you want car chases only and not wasting time "on foot" like modern games, this was the one.

I played that game a lot....some of the missions were incredibly hard later on but I liked it a lot.

In no particular order.

Driver

Tetris Plus

Gran Turismo 1

Gran Turismo 2

Intelligent Qube

Silent Hill

Resident Evil 2

Doom

I can only think of 8 right now.

8 is not 10 but whatever.

Edit... I almost forgot metal gear solid. That game was amazing!

Well that's 9 now. So yeah.

Edited by Kida0723

Funniest thing for me about this video is the comment section. I bet 95 percent of those uptight jerks who complain about a little foul language are long-time subscribers of AVGN. Could it be they think it's ok when guys do it...? Love me some double standards.

Like the riff you mixed under the honourable mentions at the end. Sounds a little Voivod-y. Which is good.

Thanks for posting a list and not just a video

I never really thought the JRPGs on this system were worth the time. I got bored with them usually like 5 to 7 hours in. I could also never get into Metal Gear. I tried (just like the RPGs) but it didn't do it for me. FYI - I usually list a series in my top lists as opposed to picking an individual game.

1) Oddworld series

2) Resident Evil series

3) Spyro the Dragon series

4) Tomb Raider series

5) FIFA series (RTWC '94 is still my fav sports game eva!)

6) Madden NFL series

7) Wing Commander series

8 ) Colony Wars series

9) Fear Effect series

10) Syphon Filter series

Some others:

Dino Crisis series

Medieval series

Herc's Adventures

Point Blank series

Time Crisis series

NCAA Football Gamebreaker series

• Like 1

FYI - I usually list a series in my top lists as opposed to picking an individual game.

1) Oddworld series

I like the way you think. :D Though actually I did give up on the first game when I was trying to save every Mudokon, and couldn't find a save point that was within a reasonable distance from an extremely challenging puzzle. Or in any event, something about the save structure was strange, bordering on broken.

There was this weird game where you were a caveman or something looking for the sun.

Tail of the Sun, which I own but haven't yet tried.

• Like 2

No love for those early Grand Theft Auto games? I loved finding the tank and seeing how long I could drive around destroying everything before getting caught. Put me down also for enjoying the incredibly bizarre rhythm games PaRappa the Rappa and UmJammer Lammy. Also, for someone who can't stand wrestling, I had a ton of fun playing WWF Attitude. I know Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was multi platform, but this is the console that I first experienced its greatness.

I know that sports titles are normally greatly scorned upon in the gaming community, but I had great fun with games like NHL FaceOff and NBA in the Zone and the MLB titles (before it became The Show).

This was also the beginning of compilation discs like Namco Museum, Activision Classics and Atari Anniversary Edition Redux. It was really cool playing what looked like arcade perfect ports of classic games at that time, and having so many games on just one disc.

I was in my late teens when the PlayStation was hitting its stride. I wasn't wild about the look of early 3D gaming, but the system will always be special to me.

• Like 1

Funniest thing for me about this video is the comment section.

People tend to lose their minds whenever Brittney is on my channel. I think it's because some gamers want Princess Peach and I gave them Lara Croft.

Me? I much prefer a badass like Lara Croft :)

• Like 3

I like the way you think. :D Though actually I did give up on the first game when I was trying to save every Mudokon, and couldn't find a save point that was within a reasonable distance from an extremely challenging puzzle. Or in any event, something about the save structure was strange, bordering on broken.

Multiple people have complained to me about trying to get all of them in the factory. I never did get them all. I enjoyed moving on through the story and was willing to let the completionist in me lose on that one. Perhaps that is why I enjoyed the game so much.

Props to those who mentioned Parappa, Tekken 3, Oddworld, Einhander, and Silent Hill.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the two Medal of Honor games. I LOVE them deeply, in a way that is outright filthy. Especially the bonus level in Underground (controversial though it be).

I've said too much.

I don't have a lot of PS1 games and the ones I have I only played through emulation.
But I found the following games to be pretty good (in no particular order):

FF9
Silent Hill 1 & 2
Fear Effect
Metal Gear Solid
Dino Crisis
Parasite Eve 1 & 2
Alone in the Dark The New Nightmare,

I also liked Loony Toons Sheep Raider but the controls seemed a bit borqued under emulation so I couldn't finish it.
Heart of Darkness also seemed pretty good but I couldn't play through due to emulation bugs.
I have FF8 but it just didn't appeal to me as much as FF9.

Top 6 whch were amazing back in the day and are still must plays today:

1. Raystorm
  2. Front Mission 3
  3. Time Crisis
  4. Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
  5. Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
  6. Final Fantasy VII

Top 4 which were amazing back in the day, but really don't age well and/or are surpassed by later installments of the same series.

1. Soul Blade
  2. Tekken 3
  3. Vandal Hearts
  4. Final Fantasy Tactics

Honorable Mentions (these are all pretty spectacular but didn't make my lists because of being multiplats, minor games, or installments of franchises already listed above.)

• Road Rash
  • Gekioh Shooting King
  • G-Darius
  • Need for Speed
  • Ace Combat 2
  • Strikers 1945

Why wasen't any of the Spyro games on your list?.I mean they are some of the best looking games on the PS1 and IMO some of the best PS1 games of all time.Anyway...

Top 8(cause I can't think of 10) in no particular order:

1.Tekken 3

2.Spyro 3 Year Of The Dragon

3.Crash 2:Cortex Strikes back

4.Crash Team Racing

5.Gran Turismo 2

6.Final Fantasy 7

7.Jet Moto 3

8.Micro Machines V3

1) Twisted Metal 2

2) NHL Open Ice

3) Die Hard Trilogy

4) Crash Team Racing

5) Monster Rancher

6) Dance Dance Revolution Konamix

7) Wipeout XL

8) Poy Poy

9) Parappa The Rapper

10) Raiden Project

Twisted Metal 2, Die Hard Trilogy and NHL Open Ice are basically the main reasons why I still have my Playstation after all these years. I LOVE those three games! :)

• Like 1

I also liked Loony Toons Sheep Raider but the controls seemed a bit borqued under emulation so I couldn't finish it.

Heart of Darkness also seemed pretty good but I couldn't play through due to emulation bugs.

Sheep Raider was awesome, but you are right that the controls weren't really "mature"

In the Looney Toons category, I liked Bugs Bunny Lost in Time too.

I forgot about Heart of Darkness. I may actually pull that out and play it again!

Why wasen't any of the Spyro games on your list?.I mean they are some of the best looking games on the PS1 and IMO some of the best PS1 games of all time.Anyway...

Same reaction for me with Spryo. If you liked Crash then Spyro does everything it does better.

• Like 1