IGNORED

Why C64 and not Atari XL/XE?

Yautja

5 hours ago, José Pereira said:

It would have been nice to see how Hawkquest would look and play on C64...

Seems like it would be no big deal for the C-64 to exceed it. There are certainly plenty of average top-down scrolling shooters on the C-64 like Warhawk, Terra Cresta, Lightforce, etc.

I did remember checking out some vertical shooter on the C-64 - and it was impressive how the independent sprites were used.  Can't remember the name of it - but it wasn't one of the often mentioned ones of that genre.

That C-64 screen of the Hawkquest title - was simply advertising the Atari 400/800 game - that was still in development.

I never could get in touch with any competent C-64 programmer to even consider working on the graphics for any C-64 title. I did locate a C-64 demo group - but it wasn't likely I would work in with them.

For Hawkquest to be done on the C-64 would have required a lot of work over a long period of time - and would not be something I would even consider doing - even if I could find a talented C-64 programmer to work with.  I would be happy though to work on any kind of Xevious like game - seeing that the C64 conversion was such a disappointment?

Harvey

13 hours ago, krslam said:

Per Bil Herd, the epoxied PSU was a safety feature intended to prevent the units from catching fire.  It wasn't for any sort of proprietary reason.  Still a bad idea, though.

I remember how hot to the touch those power supplies used to get in summer.

And most people just left them plugged into the outlet 24/7, even when the machine wasn't running.

Interesting hearing the stories of new C64 users as I'm one too! I got my first C64 more than a year ago to go with my A8 and first thing after plugging it in, the "black box of death" PSU fried the computer! At the time I didn't know about just how unreliable and dangerous they were. Thankfully there was someone in my area who could fix the C64 and I imported a modern PSU from a seller in Europe. Now both my 8bit machines share a place of honour in my games room. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kiwilove said:

I did remember checking out some vertical shooter on the C-64 - and it was impressive how the independent sprites were used.  Can't remember the name of it - but it wasn't one of the often mentioned ones of that genre.

Probably IO or Armalyte

Nope and nope.

As I said it was a vertical shooter.  Can't remember that much of it, except it's not a well known title or big title name as such.  Not over a 'normal' landscape but something metallic, space station like.  It must have come on tape.

Harvey

On 7/24/2019 at 1:53 PM, TheNightOwl said:

Interesting hearing the stories of new C64 users as I'm one too! I got my first C64 more than a year ago to go with my A8 and first thing after plugging it in, the "black box of death" PSU fried the computer! At the time I didn't know about just how unreliable and dangerous they were. Thankfully there was someone in my area who could fix the C64 and I imported a modern PSU from a seller in Europe. Now both my 8bit machines share a place of honour in my games room. ?

Nice, this is how it should be..

Paul..

• Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 10:47 PM, kiwilove said:

Nope and nope.

As I said it was a vertical shooter.  Can't remember that much of it, except it's not a well known title or big title name as such.  Not over a 'normal' landscape but something metallic, space station like.  It must have come on tape.

Harvey

I don't know if this helps Harvey, if you have or want to get the Gamebase Atari there's a wonderful search system in there to see games by genre / play style.

Makes finding those old hard to remember fun but obscure games a LOT easier...And the nice thing is that the Gamebase for it is pretty complete...

Oh, and a oops, for some reason I thought of horizontal games rather than vertical games....Senior / stupid moment...

Edited by Mclaneinc

On 7/24/2019 at 4:47 PM, kiwilove said:

Nope and nope.

Harvey

You are either referring to Atari's Speed Hawk (80% sure) or else Tynesoft's Last Guardian (though the metallic ship is a randomized color in LG). I LOVE SpeedHawk,, I like Last Guardian.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-speed-hawk_4888.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-last-guardian-_2922.html

Edited by Gunstar

While I don't understand why this thread has become the 'name the c64 game' instead of the 'on c64 why not on the Atari yet' thread....

I will at least help in providing a normalized link for the last 'guess that c64 game in the Atari forum'...

www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=036&page=024&thumbstart=0&magazine=zzap&

maybe if the guess it game was in the c64 forums the answer would have come already because the 64 fans would know what it is much more quickly...

Edited by _The Doctor__

I did post this several days ago - but for some reason it never got posted here?

(see below).

My posts now go through the moderator - due to something I posted in the General Chat forum.

Anyway I mentioned this specific game - because it was not a big name title yet showed how the C-64 could do what it does well, compared to the A8 hardware.

563  Harvey

Hidden

It might have been Bedlam - but I'm not 100% sure it was...

I think the cover art looks familiar but I can't remember there being space scenes in it?

On 7/27/2019 at 3:06 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

maybe if the guess it game was in the c64 forums the answer would have come already because the 64 fans would know what it is much more quickly...

Damn it, I knew there was a problem, it seems if you are an Atari fan you can't also be a C64 fan :)

The issue here is that the C64 is FULL of all sorts of various quality vertical shooters, if its not one of the known fave ones there's a mountain to choose from for even the hardest C64 fan and I count myself and people like TMR as big fans of shooters in general.

Its just a friendly thread drift that I'm sure has ended.. :)

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:06 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

While I don't understand why this thread has become the 'name the c64 game' instead of the 'on c64 why not on the Atari yet' thread....

I will at least help in providing a normalized link for the last 'guess that c64 game in the Atari forum'...

www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=036&page=024&thumbstart=0&magazine=zzap&

Seems, you get closer to the point any new day ;) .

• Like 1