IGNORED

Going rate for a 5200?

tyranthraxus

Expect to pay between $40 and $100 for a 5200 on EBay..depending on the amount of games, joysticks and other peripherals.

I have 2 and I got them both for $45 and $54 respectively. However, one came with a Wico joystick and the others had some nice boxed games, including a James Bond 007 boxed cart(rarity 5).

You'd be better off to snipe a few bids. Pick an auction to watch and wait until it's nearly over and then if you can afford it, snipe it.

Unless you get lucky with a newly listed BIN, they go for between $50 and $100. Don't go for any "untested systems" untested=not working. Also, as for joysticks, get them from someone like Mr. Retrogamer (Retrogames-r-us on Ebay I think) he reconditions old joysticks and restores them to near perfect working order.

Out of every 10 untested joysticks I've come across in the wild or on Ebay, 10 have had something wrong with them, so be careful.

I would highly recommend you do a search on 'Completed Items' on EBay to see the going rate. The price REALLY fluctuates based on the systems that are up for auction during any given week, the condition, accessories, and original box/documentation.

I agree with others opinions regarding 'Untested' systems. You may get lucky, but there is usually something wrong with them. However, it is possible to get a good deal if you need one as a parts machine.

Also, check with some of the members here. You may find someone that is willing to trade or sell you a system that is probably in better condition than many on Ebay.

That's my 2¢!

- VD

I got mine in a Goodwill auction with 3 working sticks and 43 games for $56. It didn't work out of the box but I traded it (a 4 port that could accept the VCS adapter) for a working 2 port from somebody here on AA (He eventually fixed it). The shipping to him was another $13 x 2 so I would up paying $82 for the whole thing.

Also, as for joysticks, get them from someone like Mr. Retrogamer (Retrogames-r-us on Ebay I think) he reconditions old joysticks and restores them to near perfect working order.

Out of every 10 untested joysticks I've come across in the wild or on Ebay, 10 have had something wrong with them, so be careful.

Thanks for the praise, John! If anyone needs really good 5200 sticks, please feel free to contact me directly here and I'll hook you up with a better deal than my standard eBay prices. I believe that anyone from AtariAge who has received 5200 controllers from me has been very pleased (eBay customers are happy too, 100% positive feedback rating :D ), and I'm happy to work with AtariAge members to give them a good deal!

And the 10 out of 10 analogy is pretty much right on. Untested on eBay usually = not fully working. :thumbsdown:

In general, any 5200 joysticks on ebay are non working (ie at least needing a good cleaning) unless they are rebuilt.

The people who really make me wary are the ones who claim to have no way to test the system (most commonly by not having a RF box.) Especially when you look at the person's profile and they sell a lot of video game stuff. Generally, non functional is not a complete turn off for me, though it does affect how much I will pay (example...got a nomad in a large sega lot for $60+ shipping...sacrificed a genny2 to replace the AC connector and it works great...well worth the cost of the entire lot.)

Price is a funny thing. I've seen 5200's go for $25 and $75 or more and everything in between. You can never tell how things will go. If you have patience, you can score a 5200 for less than average.

The difference between the two-port and the four-port models (besides the maximum number of controllers you can plug in) is that the two-port model uses a standard manual switchbox (like an Atari 2600 uses) that is available at Radio Shack for a few bucks, while the four-port uses a special automatic switching RF/power pass-through box that is no longer made. The 4-port switchbox has been selling for about $20 on ebay recently. Also, if I recall correctly there are a couple of game compatibility issues with the two-port system. I think it only affects a couple of uncommon third-party titles.

In the last year I bought three 5200 systems off of ebay. I paid less than $50 for each one (although shipping pushed the totals over that figure). The first one (a four port) was listed as working, with one controller, functional RF box, and two games. If I recall correctly, the second was untested and came with four controllers, no games, and no switch box. It was a four port, of course, but worked when I hooked it up with the RF box from the first one. The third one (a two port) came with a couple of games, two standard controllers, and two working Wico Command Control joysticks, but since the seller didn't know squat about what he had, they weren't listed in the description.

So in the end, it turns out that I bought the first one just to get a system, the second for the standard controllers, and the third for the Wicos. Kind of inefficient, kind of expensive, but I didn't really know what I was doing at the beginning. I was just trying to get a working system with all the trimmings together as a present for my wife!

Anyway, the lessons I learned were:

1) If the seller says that there is no RF box, then assume that it is a four-port system and will require your somehow getting the special automatic switching power/RF box, unless the seller tells you otherwise in the description or in response to your question.

2) If it is untested BECAUSE there is no RF box, then the console may well work just fine once you get a RF box.

3) One out of seven controllers I purchased on ebay worked (barely) when I got it, but it later needed cleaning. Three out of seven controllers I purchased on ebay did not work at first, but only needed cleaning. One needed cleaning, and the metal rod inside the stick also had to be unbent. Another one had a cracked flex circuit, which I replaced (about $8 on ebay) The last one had a broken potentiometer and is now "spare parts". So basically, like Hydian and Mr. Regrogamer said, don't count on any of the standard controllers working properly when you get them.

4) There will always be another system for sale. I wouldn't bid more than $50 unless you are getting more than one or two games as well.

5) ALWAYS CHECK THE PICTURES. People sometimes don't really know what they're selling. Also, I got the 5200 with the two Wico sticks for less than what I've seen a single Wico stick sell for by itself, because I saw it in the picture and nobody else (who wanted a Wico stick) did.

BTW, The Wico sticks I got both work, although one needed to have a plastic piece (I used a piece of a plastic collary stay) glued in to make the auto-centering feature work properly again. I recommend these sticks if you actually want to play the games.

Also, I didn't look for games in the auctions, because the first thing I did was pick up the Multicart, which sadly now appears to be unavailable. :(

So now I potentially have one 5200 for the living room, one for the gaming lair, and one for the bedroom! Well, only one's hooked up right now but who knows what the future could hold?

I have a 2 port 5200 for sale/trade if you're interested. It has a 4 port bios in it, so it can also play Pitfall! and the other games that don't work on a 2 port usually. It does have one problem though, the sound is not very loud, and it's very staticy. You can hear it, but barely. it sounds kind of like it's on channel 4(or 2, 3, etc., one of those channels that there's nothing broadcasting on)

I also will have a couple extra games I can include, once I receive the lot I bought on eBay.

I don't really have any extra joysticks, BUT I have something even better. I have these pc joystick adapters that I make. Basically, you can use a pc joystick on your 5200, it's awesome!!! And if you'd rather have the normal joysticks, I've heard MrRetroGamer does GREAT work, so you could get some great working sticks from him.

Tell me if you want it.

Here is an auction for a 5200 system, 1 rebuilt controller and 12 games for $55.  It is not the best deal ever, but it isn't too bad either.  This is not my auciton.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3013308130&category=3537

Not too bad, but it has the same problem my 2 port has(the sound thing), except you can actually hear the sound on mine, but it's low. Still, not too bad of a price.

If you want those games, you should get it. But if most of those games don't really appeal to you, i wouldn't get it.

I bought mine for US$52, with two joysticks (one good, one bad) and 12 games. Sadly when I received it case was little broke up due to the shipping, but console works. It's a 2-port.

Soon I will try to find another console to try the 'video-out' mod (I need a second console, I'm too scared to do mistakes and brake my only 5200!)

Well I had been checking the ebay completed auctions but the 5200 is

a system with so many variables its hard to nail down a price. $50 seems

fair. I'm hoping to find a 2 port model at this weekends Seattle classic

game expo. Although all the shipping money I'll save will probably be

spent on gas, given the finicky nature of the beast I'd like to inspect in

person (or at least pick up a few games). If I have no luck there I will

try the trade route. I've got spare 2600s, 7800s, INTVs (I and II) and

a 800.

Thank you for the tips.

John

According to my sister, $50 is what she paid for my 4-port for Christmas. It came with two working controllers, Pac-Man and Centipede, and all the necessary hook-ups. I've been on a merry roller coaster ever since acquiring games for the thing. :D

I bought my 5200 New in box a couple of years back from an old computer store for $50. It was the four port, had all the docs, Pac-Man, Break out, and Bounty bob Strikes back (BBob was thrown in cause they couldn't sell it) It also had the switchbox, power, TV cable, and two working controllers. I think it was a great deal.

Recently I bought a 2 port for like $10 cause the case was cracked. It had everything except the controllers, and worked fine.

My controllers are duying, well, one totally died, and the other one's going. I'll need to get some new ones.

And to answer your question, the difference between the 4 port and 2 port (besides the obvious number of ports) is the four port has an automatic switchbox, that runs the power and cable through it. The two port has the power and cable seperate to use a standard switch box you can get at radio shack. Oh, and some games won't work on the two port, like Pitfall.

:roll:  

Mock :D

:roll: :yawn: :roll:

Actually I was wondering whether there was a price difference between  

the two and four port versions? Is one more popular than the other among  

collectors?  

John

Yes, the 4 port is more popular because it can play all games, the 2 port can't play a couple of Activision titles. I don't think it will make a difference in price though.

:)