IGNORED

If you could have three...

DaytonaUSA

I never heard of Computer Space before. Looked it up on youtube, and dang.. can't see what you see in it. I'm sure it was great back then, but the sound effects are horribly annoying and the gameplay looks very slow and monotonous. I'm assuming you grew up with the game, hence why you like it so much? Just curious :)

Just three? Damn tough call but I guess before I over think it:

1. Computer Space - Atari : for the awesome styling and just the significance of it, great conversation piece.

2. Dragon's Lair - Not that I am a big fan, and I SUCK at it but just something about how it was THE machine to watch people play, the tech was impressive for the time.

3. TRON - OK it was a tough choice for me between Star Wars Arcade / Star Trek / Tron because I love SciFi and the look of these machines but in the end gotta go with TRON

for the cool factor.

I doubt he played it - as he stated it is a conversation piece. It is known as the 1st arcade game, not necessarily known as a game that is fun to play as it was fairly complicated. However if you owned it and spent time with it, perhaps you could get good at it and then it would be fun...maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Space

• Like 1

I doubt he played it - as he stated it is a conversation piece. It is known as the 1st arcade game, not necessarily known as a game that is fun to play as it was fairly complicated. However if you owned it and spent time with it, perhaps you could get good at it and then it would be fun...maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Space

That makes sense. Because yeah... definitely didn't look astounding.

Really pleased so many people like Star Castle, though.

I never heard of Computer Space before. Looked it up on youtube, and dang.. can't see what you see in it. I'm sure it was great back then, but the sound effects are horribly annoying and the gameplay looks very slow and monotonous. I'm assuming you grew up with the game, hence why you like it so much? Just curious :)

IMHO, the game's merit is in the awesome cabinet design and also the fact that it is a huge part of arcade history. Gameplay wise…I could live without it as well.

• Like 2

Ha, I choose 3 I would like to own if given the opportunity even followed by a little blurb on each as to WHY (IE : "what I see in it") I would choose them. Has NOTHING to do with what I might consider fun of something I might play regularly. Yes, as I said, Computer Space for being a conversation piece, place in history and that oh so retro cabinet styling lol, to expand on that, rarity and just knowing the first arcade video game.

Now, if I am choosing the 3 I think are the most fun / entertaining that I could see myself play regularly:

1. Phoenix.

2. Mr. Do!

3. Gauntlet.

Runners up:

Street Fighter II

House of the Dead

Cruisin USA

Double Dragon

Popeye

Excuse me I going to go play some MAME now..........

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Interesting way of looking at the topic. Wasn't even thinking people would consider worth as a reason to have one.

Ha, I choose 3 I would like to own if given the opportunity even followed by a little blurb on each as to WHY (IE : "what I see in it") I would choose them. Has NOTHING to do with what I might consider fun of something I might play regularly. Yes, as I said, Computer Space for being a conversation piece, place in history and that oh so retro cabinet styling lol, to expand on that, rarity and just knowing the first arcade video game.

Now, if I am choosing the 3 I think are the most fun / entertaining that I could see myself play regularly:

1. Phoenix.

2. Mr. Do!

3. Gauntlet.

Runners up:

Street Fighter II

House of the Dead

Cruisin USA

Double Dragon

Popeye

Raiden II DX

Bubble Bobble

Strider

My top games are all probably shmups, but it's nice to have some variety.

Runner ups might be:

R-Type

Dragon's Lair

ESP Ra.De.

Star Wars

Area 88

Puzzle Bobble 2

Mr. Do

Forgotten Worlds

Sky Soldiers

That should keep me going for a long time...

1. Phoenix.

2. Mr. Do!

3. Gauntlet.

Runners up:

Street Fighter II

House of the Dead

Cruisin USA

Double Dragon

Popeye

Ah crap, I forgot about Mr. Do. I need to change my answer. :)

• Like 1

Games I played and loved:

1. Star Castle

2. Phoenix

3. Gauntlet

Bonus. Rampage

Edit: I forgot Time Pilot!

More games I played and loved:

1. Asteroids

2. Space Invaders

3. Zippy Race

I'm sure I'm missing a few...

Would be cool to have:

1. Pong

2. Computer Space

3. Dragon's Lair

Edited by 5-11under

IF it has to be real arcade hardware, anbd MAME cabintets are not allowed.... I go with the following:

Pac-Man 30th Anniversary (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga)

Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr and Mario Bros in the widebody cabinet.

Centipete, Millipede and Lets go Bowling.

3 REAL arcade cabs, 9 games. :)

Then again, I could pick Arcade Legends.... Oh wait, that is David Foley, HELL NO!!

• Like 1

That means I'd have to get rid of a dozen machines. :(

However, I'd have to go with:

Asteroids

Centipede

Tron

Bonus: if it wasn't as scarce as hen's teeth and expensive as hell, any one of those would be bumped by a four player Eliminator. That is easily the funnest game I've ever played when you're playing 4-up.

Edited by racerx

This is a tough question to answer!

Robotron

DK

Zoo Keeper / Missile Command (can't decide)

I could ask you the same thing about Star Wars Trilogy: what do you see in that game? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and a huge arcade game fan, but once you strip out the fancy (for the 90's) graphics and sound, the gameplay is not appreciably deeper than Computer Space. Mostly, you move a cursor around the screen and mash a trigger button for 2-3 minutes before the ridiculously unfair difficulty kills you and you have to put in another buck to continue. What kind of game is that? I tried to like it back when it was current, but it always struck me as more of a glorified tech demo than a videogame.