IGNORED

Kinect-less Xbox One Available June 9th

Metal Ghost

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/13/5713440/xbox-one-no-kinect-release-date-price-Microsoft

Xbox One without Kinect will be available on June 9th for $399.

Also in June:

• Games for Gold will be extending onto the Xbox One platform.
  • Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo and other video streaming services will no longer be behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall, meaning anyone with an internet connected Xbox One/360 will be able to use those services (with applicable subscription to the service, of course).

I hear 'Game-On' from Microsoft.

Edited by Metal Ghost

It'd be interesting if they eventually admit defeat with their "wonderbox of $ervice$" dream and kill kinect/speech recognition in the background so games get more resources. No one wants their machine to eat processor time waiting for you to say "XBOX: ORDER PIZZA!" every millisecond.

• Like 2

More information being reported on the Xbox One version of Games for Gold and some other digital storefront related items: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-games-with-gold-kicks-off-in-june-resembles-playstation-plus/1100-6419602/

I think it's very interesting that these items are being communicated by Microsoft (i.e. are not simply leaks) now instead of ~1 month from now at E3. They easily could have held the official release of this information until then and tried to make a big splash with it at E3. Instead, they chose to do so now. Maybe I'm looking to far into the rationale for this, but to me this seems to back-up Microsoft's assertion that E3 is going to be about games, pure and simple. Get the more business-related stuff out of the way now, and leave E3 for game announcements, first looks, live plays, etc.

So far, I like having Phil Spencer in charge of the Xbox.

• Like 1

Xbox Live's Free Game Program Is Changing In Some Big Ways

http://kotaku.com/xbox-lives-free-game-program-is-changing-in-some-big-wa-1575666176

So if you're an Xbox Live Gold member, you'll be able to get free Xbox One games every month—you just won't be able to play them once you stop paying the monthly fee. In other words, Xbox One's 'Games with Gold' will work identically to Sony's PlayStation Plus program.

On Xbox 360, the Games with Gold program will work the same as it did before. Games you downloaded for free will remain on your account.

So I still get a better experience by sticking with my trust 360 and ignoring the 180!

Edited by Blazing Lazers
  • Like 1

Microsoft his hitting it hard here of late with the Megaton announcements.

-Awesome Sunset Overdrive gameplay reveal (Jet Set Radio Future meets Dead Rising)

-Kinect-less SKU at $399

-Netflix, Hulu, etc., no longer behind a pay wall

-Free Games with Gold coming to Xbox One, along with an extra game in June for X360

>The Games with Gold titles for Xbox 360 in June are “Dark Souls,” “Charlie Murder” and a bonus game of “Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.”

>Games with Gold on Xbox One in June: “Max: The Curse of Brotherhood” and “Halo: Spartan Assault.”

>50%-75% off sales for certain games on Xbox One starting in June with Forza 5 and Ryse

With Nintendo and Sony announcing big financial losses and Microsoft announcing better than expected earnings this last quarter, I think they smell blood and are really going for it. Good for consumers, as there should be some awesome deals for all the consoles out there.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

I actually think this is kinda stupid. I'm not denying it'll help sell units, which I guess is the only real end-goal. But as a guy who got the PS4 first, and the Xbox One just recently, I too thought the Kinect 2.0 would be crap. After owning the first, I vowed I'd never get another again.

But for me, the Xbox One has become my preferred console for many reasons, one of the big ones is because of the Kinect. Voice commands are actually convenient, and I find the Kinect controls to be welcome. Heck, my wife has used the Xbox One for TV and streaming TV programs. This is the first system she's touched since the 2600. Despite the fact our old PS3 and 360 have Netflix and Hulu, she simply wouldn't touch a controller. Same with the PS4.. wouldn't have it.

On top of that, the camera is very useful for Skype (I actually love Skype on the Xbox One, with its auto panning feature) and Twitch TV. Combined with the Snap function, it's all very fun. I wouldn't buy a Kinect-only game to save my life, sure. But I like it for its other functions.

The thing is, I wasn't looking forward to any of this. If it didn't come with my used Day One Edition, I'd have simply never played with it, and I would have missed out greatly.

Again, I get it. It's for sales. And I hope they get more because of it. But new adapters honestly will miss out on what helps make the W8 UI so great. And that's a shame. I honestly wish Microsoft just stuck with it.

• Like 2

Good move I suppose. I dunno, I am really ambivalent. Microsoft managed to release the first console in my lifetime that I had absolutely zero interest in. I suppose the fact that they cleaned house after the public relations nightmare that was the Xbone reveal should be seen as a good sign. Think I'll wait for E3 though. We're at the point now where if they manage to come up with something really special as an exclusive, I'd probably consider buying the Xbox One.

• Like 1

Good move I suppose. I dunno, I am really ambivalent. Microsoft managed to release the first console in my lifetime that I had absolutely zero interest in. I suppose the fact that they cleaned house after the public relations nightmare that was the Xbone reveal should be seen as a good sign. Think I'll wait for E3 though. We're at the point now where if they manage to come up with something really special as an exclusive, I'd probably consider buying the Xbox One.

As someone who thought my "only" choice was the PS4 this gen, I encourage you to try the Xbox One. Maybe if one of your friends has one. Really changed my mind the first time I got my hands on it. To each their own of course, but I like this significantly more than I ever did the 360 or the original Xbox.

• Like 1

Xbone is now palatable. I don't have the slightest interest in Kinect crap at all, don't want it in my house, don't want it hooked up, and sure as hell don't want to pay for it.

This was the obvious move that Microsoft needed to make, and what they should have done, in the first place. Those who like Kinect should have been able to buy it if they want it, like the X360 generation, and like things will be going forward.

As I'm more of a retrogamer and I'm still new to the last-generation, I won't be getting one soon, but I usually end up with all the consoles. However, when I'm ready to needlessly spend more money on the next console, I'll for sure be starting with PS4 first, because Microsoft really disappointed with their ridiculous requirements announced at the countdown to Xbone release. (For those who don't remember: (1) No used games, (2) Must be connected to internet all the time, (3) Must have Kinect connected at all times, and (4) Must pay for Kinect you don't want.)

Now, if they'd only follow suit and walk back Windows 8 in a similar manner, and give people what they want (a hypothetical "Windows 7.5"), perhaps Microsoft can extend its relevancy for a few or several more years.

Good riddance.

One reason I think I never cared for Kinect in either iteration is that the best part of motion gaming on the Wii & PS3 wasn't even possible. Kinect can't offer things like House of the Dead style arcade shooters or Resident Evil 4, games that benefited greatly from being able to hold a motion controller in your hand to aim and shoot with.

You're left with casual multiplayer oriented sports games and family friendly multigame collections (Areas where at least for me, my Wii collection is more than ample for). I'm amazed Microsoft put any real money into Kinect 2.0 at a time when that craze had already largely fizzled out for the originator of it.

All the proponents kept saying to just wait. But we're half a year into the 2nd generation of it and we're still waiting for a great game that simply wouldn't be possible without Kinect and nothing on the horizon appears set to ever change that. The few that like it on the XB1 are using it mainly in place of button and analog stick navigation of menus and to say 'Xbox off' and 'Xbox on' to.

Hardly a crucial part of the next gen Xbox experience or justifying $100 above the PS4's MSRP for it.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Too little too late in my opinion. I went PS4 this gen and I'm not looking back. I'm more than happy with that decision. I may eventually pick of a XB1 if there is an exclusive title that I care about (Titanfall was not it). Thank goodness they dropped Kinect finally. The motion control fad is officially DEAD.

Honestly, I'm spending more and more time on my PC for games these days. I ran a 25' HDMI cord from my desk to my home theater, so now I can play controller based PC games on my TV.

I'm also waiting on a possible SteamOS based future. Still too early to know if that is going to fly.

• Like 1

To each their own of course, but I like this significantly more than I ever did the 360 or the original Xbox.

Sounds to me like you barely played them then. :roll:

To be fair though, if you are enjoying the XBOX One, then that's what counts. However, from those here that have sold the system since buying it, to others that have made it clear that it's primary function right now is a dust collector, I think it's clear that several of us on this forum have found the package underwhelming.

This is what the system should have been from day one. The fact that it wasn't still leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. How could Microsoft get it THAT WRONG for THAT LONG, unless they sincerely didn't understand what their customers wanted, or didn't care if they did? That's not a company I want to do business with. And I don't... the last Microsoft product I purchased was Office 2008.

The only thing Microsoft could do to get me back is to make the One compatible with my old Xbox or 360 games... and while I don't think it's technologically impossible, it would be a huge effort that they clearly don't want to put forth.

• Like 2

This is what the system should have been from day one. The fact that it wasn't still leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. How could Microsoft get it THAT WRONG for THAT LONG, unless they sincerely didn't understand what their customers wanted, or didn't care if they did? That's not a company I want to do business with.

I couldn't agree more! After this and Windows 8, I have to hold my nose to purchase Microsoft products.

About their "understanding" (or lack thereof) of what their customers want: Remember when the original Xbox launched with that HUGE controller, later nicknamed "The Duke?"

post-16281-0-50381000-1400101294_thumb.jpg

"The Duke" was HUGE and HEAVY. What an unnecessarily large chunk of plastic. The fire buttons were not squarely laid out in the 4 cardinal directions like later controllers (and Playsation controllers), so it was easy to hit the wrong button during frenzied gameplay. Furthermore, the fire buttons themselves were kind of sharp - their shape rose to a relatively sharp apex at the top. For games with lots of pressing or holding, it would start to feel like it was cutting into your thumb.

No matter what, Microsoft stuck to their guns on that controller for a while, insisting that their "market research" had confirmed that their controller was indeed a wonderful creation. Yet they released the Controller-S in Japan and after people started importing the S from Japan and much bad press, they changed the pack-in controller to the Controller-S.

So much for their "market research" then, and now. I'm starting to think that when Microsoft *does* have a hit product, it's just an accident.

• Like 1

I'm not allowed to like an experience? The original Xbox's OS was very basic. The 360's blade system, then it's W8 UI weren't nearly as user friendly as the Xbox One's. Not even close. Hence why I enjoy using the hardware more. That and the Kinect 2.0 works significantly better than the original... which I wanted to throw out of a window.

People have different preferences. I simply was stating that I enjoy the Kinect 2.0. For everyone you can find here that hates it, I can find people online who share my opinion that its beneficial, especially outside of games.

Sorry you can't understand that people like a device. If you get a Kinect-less Xbox One, that's great. You'll still have a great amount of fun. Who cares what people choose? That's why they'll be two skus, lol.

Either way, at the end of the day, games are what is most important in addition to UI preferences. And I simply think the selection on Xbox One is better geared to my taste. But seriously, either way you go, you'll have fun. Most games (at least on the PS4 and X1) are just multiplats anyway. At that point it's all about UI, or maybe controller. Which is another point I like about the Xbox One, but that's for another topic.

Sounds to me like you barely played them then. :roll:

To be fair though, if you are enjoying the XBOX One, then that's what counts. However, from those here that have sold the system since buying it, to others that have made it clear that it's primary function right now is a dust collector, I think it's clear that several of us on this forum have found the package underwhelming.

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 1

Still won't help. PS4 is killing them

And Sony is killing themselves :P. Seriously, as long as either don't plummet in sales (think Wii U), it doesn't really matter either way. Looking back, with the exception of the NES, I always seem to go after the underdogs anyway for whatever reason. I guess their weird quirks always gelled with me :).

• Like 2

I was replying to your statement that you like it more than either the 360 or the original XBOX. You made no specification as to what about it you liked more, so I assumed you meant the entire platform. Which I think anyone could agree is an ass-backwards statement simply coming at it from the angle of the game library alone. ("And the selection I find to better suit my tastes on XBOX One"; Sorry, but pretty much every third-party effort on the XBOX One can be found on the XBOX 360, and nearly any other release can be found via an earlier iteration on the 360, so this statement makes little sense).

I never once said you are not allowed to like the experience, and I think it's great that you are enjoying your purchase. Like I already said previously, that's what counts regardless of what others think (like myself.. a prior XBOX ONE owner).

That said though, it's pretty clear you're still in "oh hey I got a new toy and must sing my love for it to everyone!" mode, so I'll be more curious to where your thoughts stand on it a couple of months from now.

I'm not allowed to like an experience? The original Xbox's OS was very basic. The 360's blade system, then it's W8 UI weren't nearly as user friendly as the Xbox One's. Not even close. Hence why I enjoy using the hardware more. That and the Kinect 2.0 works significantly better than the original... which I wanted to throw out of a window.

People have different preferences. I simply was stating that I enjoy the Kinect 2.0. For everyone you can find here that hates it, I can find people online who share my opinion that its beneficial, especially outside of games.

Sorry you can't understand that people like a device. If you get a Kinect-less Xbox One, that's great. You'll still have a great amount of fun. Who cares what people choose? That's why they'll be two skus, lol.

Either way, at the end of the day, games are what is most important in addition to UI preferences. And I simply think the selection on Xbox One is better geared to my taste. But seriously, either way you go, you'll have fun. Most games (at least on the PS4 and X1) are just multiplats anyway. At that point it's all about UI, or maybe controller. Which is another point I like about the Xbox One, but that's for another topic.