IGNORED

Stupid question from a C64 noob running VICE

I'm running an emulated C64 on a raspberry pi. The specific emulator is VICE if that matters at all. I'm having a problem playing some games. I feel like the only problem is that I'm not pressing the right button. Some games like bird mother I load the rom, when the title screen appears I press the joystick button and I'm playing the game. Other games Like Mayhem I load the rom the title screen appears with music playing, I press ever key including the joystick and I just can't get past the title screen. I have even tried pressing every key on the virtual keyboard. This is my first experience with VICE, and I don't even know what you would have to press on a real C64 as I was a very young child when I played these games last. Even back then my grandpa did all the work until I was actually in the game. I think something that maybe causing the problem is that I have the emulator set to read key sets as the joystick since I don't have a joystick that the emulator recognizes. I don't think the problem has anything to do with it being a raspberry pi so I'm hoping someone with some experience with VICE can point me in the right direction.

Thanks Tony

If you're talking about Mayhem in Monsterland, if I remember correctly it uses Joystick port 2. And you have to wait on the intro to play until it says the end before hitting the fire button (I'm not sure about this).

If you're using vice, you can set it to warp mode for a minute to get to that point. :)

Thanks for the help I it was a joystick port issue. I feel a little silly that it was so simple. It just never crossed my mind that I would be playing a 1 player game from port 2. I guess thats just my inexperience with the c64. Any particular reason the games were designed this way it just seems kind of non intuitive?

Edited by Dripfree

C= cheaped out and use the same I/O ports for both keyboard and joysticks, so each can interfere with the other.

Port 2 is less prone - so many games use it to the point where it's practically a standard.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1