IGNORED

The PacManPlus Sanctioned 30th Anniversary Cart! NO PM'S!

CPUWIZ

@TT: I am only quoting your text for context. Nothing against you, or the question.

But! I have a serious question for everyone, I posted this thread 2 weeks ago, what do people expect these days? I mean, I see various projects around the forum (not just Atari), most of them take many months, some years. What is the general expectation? I am mostly just curious, because I don't give a rats ass, since I don't take money from anyone. I mean some people who pay stupid amounts of money for a numbered edition of games that aren't even finished being programmed and authors happily taking their money. :)

Again, this is not directed at anyone, just something I pondered, whilst talking to some people via IM/email/PM.

@Marc: Sehr geil, aber das weisst Du ja schon. :cool:

lol just speaking for myself here....

1. I can't follow what the heck is going on in this thread. All I know is I was #61 or something and was just checking out the haps, but got lost. :)

2. My expectations? You could send me a follow up email 6 years from now either saying a. Hey I can sell you a copy. Send money here. or 2. Sorry, it's not available and in either case, I'd be "cool. np". Heck you could send me a message in 10 years. You could communicate it to me a month before I croak at age 80 that "sorry, only 60 were made and you were #61" and it's still all good. Zero expectations. Zero rush.. :lol: :P

2. My expectations? You could send me a follow up email 6 years from now either saying a. Hey I can sell you a copy. Send money here. or 2. Sorry, it's not available and in either case, I'd be "cool. np". Heck you could send me a message in 10 years. You could communicate it to me a month before I croak at age 80 that "sorry, only 60 were made and you were #61" and it's still all good. Zero expectations. Zero rush.. :lol: :P

Damn laid-back tree hugging hippies piss me off! Patience is for wussies. Demand immediate action! You have rights, dammit! Get outraged even there is nothing to get outraged about! Real men fight, claw, and struggle their way down the water slide instead of going with the flow. :D

• 2 weeks later...

While I understand that we live in a "free market economy" (for the time being, anyway) and that everybody is free to buy and resell their wares at will, I don't like the practice of buying and re-selling (for the pure purpose of profit) the neat wares that we gamers are **LUCKY** to procure, from those who are [obviously] more talented than we are, and who are nice enough to release such items at a relatively-affordable price. Myself, I just say "THANK YOU" and hold the stuff close to my bosom and get all teary-eyed that I'm able to have it. (There's a slight exaggeration there, but I think you get my drift.)

Now, we're never going to convert the "free market" economy to a "command" economy where we control this, but it is possible to at least OBSERVE who is attempting to profiteer upon the works of creators of original works, those of which are at least *in-part* a labor of love. I suggest that the creators/sellers then move to ban those people from future sales. While that wouldn't absolutely curtail such profiteering, it would diminish it. There's probably a fine line that is difficult to determine, and that's the problem. The fact that Cuttle Cart 2 (or Cuttle Cart 3) prices have risen markedly DOES NOT mean that a CC2 shouldn't be sold for additional value. It should! However, hoarders and profiteers should be denied future sales by the seller of the unique good. It's THEIR (the seller) prerogative should they decide to sell to anybody, after all.

While I understand that we live in a "free market economy" (for the time being, anyway) and that everybody is free to buy and resell their wares at will, I don't like the practice of buying and re-selling (for the pure purpose of profit) the neat wares that we gamers are **LUCKY** to procure, from those who are [obviously] more talented than we are, and who are nice enough to release such items at a relatively-affordable price. Myself, I just say "THANK YOU" and hold the stuff close to my bosom and get all teary-eyed that I'm able to have it. (There's a slight exaggeration there, but I think you get my drift.)

Now, we're never going to convert the "free market" economy to a "command" economy where we control this, but it is possible to at least OBSERVE who is attempting to profiteer upon the works of creators of original works, those of which are at least *in-part* a labor of love. I suggest that the creators/sellers then move to ban those people from future sales. While that wouldn't absolutely curtail such profiteering, it would diminish it. There's probably a fine line that is difficult to determine, and that's the problem. The fact that Cuttle Cart 2 (or Cuttle Cart 3) prices have risen markedly DOES NOT mean that a CC2 shouldn't be sold for additional value. It should! However, hoarders and profiteers should be denied future sales by the seller of the unique good. It's THEIR (the seller) prerogative should they decide to sell to anybody, after all.

You are correct some people buy these just to try to flip. As I have said before everyone selling a game they purchased here on away does not necessarily mean they have the intention of flipping for big $. Edited by atari181
  • Like 1

You are correct some people buy these just to try to flip. As I have said before everyone selling a game they purchased here on away does not necessarily mean they have the intention of flipping for big $.

If they sell it with months after the game is no longer available I would say the intent was to flip. I just think respect to the programmers would be nice.

My kids are going to get my collection when I die. Absolutely not a single game will be sold EVER!

If they sell it with months after the game is no longer available I would say the intent was to flip. I just think respect to the programmers would be nice.

My kids are going to get my collection when I die. Absolutely not a single game will be sold EVER!

Please, please, spare them the trash.

That just isn't gonna work. Early bird gets the worm, and buyer is free to play the game, place it on a shelf and stare at it, wipe their butt with it, or even *gasp* hock it on eBay.

Yes, it's a duche move to resell immediately, but people's interests change. People need to get rid of stuff. Someone gets into a bind where they need the money moreso than hoarding old collectables. Would you rather see gamers go to the grave to be buried with their loot? Aside from those very few of us who owned every system back in the day along with every game they could ever hope to own, there is noone here in this forum that hasn't bought 2nd-hand games from resellers, or sold/donated crap they didn't want any more. And is it not unreasonable, if you posess an item you no longer need but someone else wants, to try to get fair market value for it? Whether the item gets resold for more or less than initially paid is irrelavent.

Any time the production run of an item is limited, the supply becomes fixed and price is dictated solely by demand. The only way to prevent price gouging is to continue production indefinitely so that supply exactly satisfies the demand. The parties involved in creating this wonderful cart have capped the production at 100 carts, no more. And guess what? Most if not all of the games on this cart are readily available in the AA store. Possibly cheaper than the $240 to buy all if not every game on the multicart interests you. So unless people start scalping the carts for more than $240, think of it as a bargain, not a rip off.

As for me, this cart will be spending plenty of time in my new Atari 7800 console, which is I believe what the creators hoped will happen. :)

That just isn't gonna work. Early bird gets the worm, and buyer is free to play the game, place it on a shelf and stare at it, wipe their butt with it, or even *gasp* hock it on eBay.

I just don't understand what's "not gonna work." Known hoarders and re-sellers (or anybody suspected to be such) would not be sold to. There's nothing to NOT work. There's probably 150 people wanting 100 carts. Some wouldn't get one, next time. What "won't work?" Some people won't get a cart. All the carts will still sell. As long as all the carts sell, it seems that things are "working" perfectly, and carts go to those who value (intrinsically, not resellers) them the most. In such a scenario, what, exactly, "won't work?" Of course, first-offenders would get through the first time, but habitual Ebay-resellers would be identified and noted. That's the entire point, isn't it? Of course, if one plans on reselling, this doesn't sound very good, at all.

^^wood_jl, it doesn't matter how good your intentions, whatever convoluted ruleset you create is gonna leave someone out in the cold and gameless. For instance, only members with 100+ posts get in, or joined up before last month, or people with known ebay accounts get left out. BTW, my eBay userid is stardust8898. I've been a member since 2005; bought tons of crap; haven't sold a damn thing yet! But that's not the point. Creating a blacklist of resellers is only gonna create a lot of butthurt for people who somehow unfairly get added to the list, while the real offenders doing it will get away with it because the keep their mouths shut in the forums. What if someone else gets it in my hometown, and they sell it and I get blamed? Do we really need a Hall of Shame like NA does, not for illegit scammers but just because somebody flipped a game (which isn't against the rules, btw). Where does it end? If Joe Blow needs money to send Joe Blow Jr to college, or pay bills, whatever, does that mean he gets ostracised forever?

I'm as much against flipping homebrews as you are, but it's obvious to me that blacklisting the accounts of AA members caught reselling is a bad idea. Too many loopholes...

Edited by stardust4ever

I inquired about a manual earlier, and the general concensus was that it would be 60 pages thick and expensive and likely wouldn't fit in the box. I'm all down for a PDF or digital version however. Assuming Albert or someone has all the files (they come with the individual games in the AA store), it would be very easy to combine them together as a digital PDF download. Then if someone wants to print it out, it will be on their nickle.

Edited by stardust4ever

^^wood_jl, it doesn't matter how good your intentions, whatever convoluted ruleset you create is gonna leave someone out in the cold and gameless. For instance, only members with 100+ posts get in, or joined up before last month, or people with known ebay accounts get left out. BTW, my eBay userid is stardust8898. I've been a member since 2005; bought tons of crap; haven't sold a damn thing yet! But that's not the point. Creating a blacklist of resellers is only gonna create a lot of butthurt for people who somehow unfairly get added to the list, while the real offenders doing it will get away with it because the keep their mouths shut in the forums. What if someone else gets it in my hometown, and they sell it and I get blamed? Do we really need a Hall of Shame like NA does, not for illegit scammers but just because somebody flipped a game (which isn't against the rules, btw). Where does it end? If Joe Blow needs money to send Joe Blow Jr to college, or pay bills, whatever, does that mean he gets ostracised forever?

I'm as much against flipping homebrews as you are, but it's obvious to me that blacklisting the accounts of AA members caught reselling is a bad idea. Too many loopholes...

We've had members here members in good standing liquidate most if not all of their collection for emergencies- those emergencies can happen at any time.

I've been single in school, in collage, married, lost a pregnancy, and had a son- he's now been in the hospital with a split head ...we've had a car totaled, changed job, started new job, been w/o jobs, and we've had trees down on our land crushing the neighbor's $$$$fence ... - all since I joined AtariAge- other things too- life's like that sometimes- I woudn't expect somone that suddenly needed money to NOT sell this cart if they can get good money for it.

• Like 1

I inquired about a manual earlier, and the general concensus was that it would be 60 pages thick and expensive and likely wouldn't fit in the box. I'm all down for a PDF or digital version however. Assuming Albert or someone has all the files (they come with the individual games in the AA store), it would be very easy to combine them together as a digital PDF download. Then if someone wants to print it out, it will be on their nickle.

Well I meant to condense it, not just put all the existing manuals together.

Edited by Greg2600