IGNORED

Simple question regarding Genesis 2/3 AV wires

mkiker2089

I've got to ask. The 2 and 3 are mono via the standard composite wire. Then why is the white wire there at all? It's not even dual mono, it's just a dead wire.

I've considered looking into a mod to convert it to dual mono like my other consoles but it's just so easy to use a y-cable that it seems pointless.

Your have audio from the red and white? Mine is only putting sound out through the red.

So now, is my cable bad, is my console bad, or is it a 2 versus 3 thing. I have a Genesis 3 with mono sound but I thought the 2 was mono as well. Wasn't the only stereo Genesis the model 1 and then only with the headphone jack?

I would have to do more research on the different models. I have a model 2 and I have sound coming out of both left and right channels.. Is it real stereo or is it mono coming out of both sides? I don't really know.

This wikipedia article mentions the model 1 and 2 under the "Technical specifications" heading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis#Technical_specifications

So, if you have a model 2 and the white cable is completely silent, it would be cheaper to buy a new cable to test it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K8UFD2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002K8UFD2&linkCode=as2&tag=geekytechguy-20&linkId=WJJBUTXDVMGYUHUQ

I have a model 2 Genny with the AV cable and it DOES output true stereo sound... a good way to test is to play Ecco The Dolphin and bring up the sound test screen, most of the music tracks to that game are VERY stereophonic.

• Like 1

Another good test is Sonic the hedgehog. The ring pick up sound alternates between left and right channels as you collect them.

The genny model 2 is stereo if you have the av cables that have both the left and right audio on them. The model 3 is mono only and I'm not sure it can be modded for true stereo output.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone who doesn't have this site bookmarked, shame on you :) How the hell else are y'all making your replacement 32X cables (not that those plugs are even remotely available)?

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

Genesis 2 is most definitely stereo. I've never owned a G3 but everything I've ever read says it is as well. It's only the G1 that has mono coming from the back, which is why you have to use the headphone jack to get it.

PS: damn near every other pinout you'd want is on that site, at least for anything remotely mainstream.

Edited by freeweed
  • Like 1

The Mega Drive/Genesis 2 is the only model that you can get stereo output from the Video/Audio out port on the back of the console.

On the Model 1 the headphone jack outputs stereo but not the Video/Audio out port on the back of the system.

The Genesis 3 doesn't support Stereo at all as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...