IGNORED

Mario Kart 8

In my group of friends its pretty much guaranteed that we will play online on a weekly basis for this so I will pick one up. It's not the main reason I have a WiiU but it certainly will be nice. Not too mention it should break the dry spell of retail releases the console has suffered up until this point this year.

(I am more excited to see how X turns out though, in the long run)

What about Donkey Kong country? That came out in February.

For some reason a lot of people (including gaming journalists) have glazed over that one. I don't really understand why, it's easily one of the best games on the system. Still, it was three months ago, and the Wii U could use another AAA-caliber release.

As Austin said, it was one game over four months. It is a great game and it deserves more attention (I roll my eyes whenever I hear the line that WiiU has "no games" - and the PS4/Xbone have a ton of exclusives you can't get anywhere else? Please, it isn't 2016 yet). Aside from DK, there hasn't really been anything new worth talking about. Today is Scram Kitty but I was told to wait until a patch comes along for that; I got Metroid Fusion when that came to VC but that is hardly enough to move units. It's just been relatively dry overall.

The AI will probably rubber band like in previous Mario Kart games and spam blue shells making it near impossible to beat

I read a review of it on Ars Technica earlier today, and supposedly the rubber banding isn't nearly as bad as it was before in Mario Kart Wii. It's still there, but not as frequent now.

That issue in itself is why I eventually stopped playing Mario Kart Wii. The rubber banding was so bad, I could barely ever win despite racing the best and being in 1st the majority of the time I played, either online or locally. It made the game pointless to bother playing.

I read a review of it on Ars Technica earlier today, and supposedly the rubber banding isn't nearly as bad as it was before in Mario Kart Wii. It's still there, but not as frequent now.

That issue in itself is why I eventually stopped playing Mario Kart Wii. The rubber banding was so bad, I could barely ever win despite racing the best and being in 1st the majority of the time I played, either online or locally. It made the game pointless to bother playing.

MK Wii was the last straw for me. between the rubber-banding, and the punishment of any skill that didn't involve exploiting its cheaty drift/boost physics there was just no fun. Pretty much every kart racer I've played in the last half decade has been better than Mario Kart. I expect that Mario Kart is slowly evolving from a racing party game, to a simple slot machine for when the nintendo generation retires. I can't figure out why they even bother to give us any control over the gameplay at all--it'd be a lot less frustrating if we were watching and betting on the action.

Edited by Reaperman

I heard Mario Kart Wii was pretty crummy by the high standards of the series. I've got higher hopes for Mario Kart 8, but at the same time I wonder if Nintendo has run out of ideas for characters. Five babies and several metal skins for existing characters is kind of weak. On the plus side, at least there are all the Koopalings from Super Mario Bros. 3!

The game looks really, really good and I'll be picking this up (eventually).

The only complaint I have with this version (without actually playing it) is that Nintendo, for whatever reason, decided to NOT use the gamepad for multiplayer, choosing instead to use split screen. After promoting the gamepad as unique and enhancing your gameplay experience, Nintendo decides to not make use of it. Very, very weird.

Edited by Mendon

I will buy it.. I see no need to pre-order though unless there's some rebate or prize somewhere out there, but meh screw it. I'll just walk into whatever store I'm at and snag it when it's out. :P

As for DKC, as someone who excitedly ran out to buy the original SNES version upon release and really tried to get into it, I found I just don't have the disposition for that type of platformer. So I passed upon each new iteration including this one. I would get for cheap though. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you find it for that price?

Shopper's Drug Mart of all places. I had no idea they even had them, but I was curious about their electronics section and peaked over the counter. I noticed the Wii - for $149.99 till June 6th.

No way I was getting one for $299, but for $149 to play the Nintendo titles, I was sold.

Have to say though, the out of box experience of setting it up was really a pain in the butt!

• Like 2

Did it not connect to your router? That's the issue I (and seemingly a lot of others) had.

That was not bad actually. It was more a case of how long it took. It wouldn't recognize the sensor bar at first, so it wouldn't pair properly with a Wiimote. It did a long setup process, then did a huge software update which took forever. Then it got into a weird state where my old Nintendo Club login wouldn't work and I had to re-enter it. Then the transfer process between the old Wii and the new was really long. Even had a lot of issues entering passwords because the touchscreen on the gamepad is kind of poor compared to my smartphones and tablets.

Now that it's running, I'm amazed at how clunky the interface is. "Use the gamepad for this, but not that. Use the Wiimote for this, not that. Click in this menu and wait for it to boot before you can play Wii games"

It's not Nintendo's finest work. Usually they have all kinds of sweet touches, but the whole experience has been a bit like the last Wii when you wanted to add a friend to play a game.

Well seems with the new Wii U "Fast Boot" menu you no longer need to hold the a/b button. You can just select the Wii mode from the menu. Nice thing about that is you can leave your h-drive plugged in and not worry about the Wii asking if you want to format it.

I was fooling around yesterday and set up wii-flow to use NAND mode for Mario Kart Wii saves and I was able to use the same saves on both my original Wii and the Wii U in Wii mode... So that was kind of nice.

If you hold down either the A or B button on the Wii U gamepad it will boot straight into Wii mode.

Thanks. This helps, though I think it would have been better if the "switching of modes" was hidden. I liked how it was on the original Wii ... you could insert a GameCube game and it just played. No switching of modes required.

I think if you select the disc icon rather than hitting the Wii icon, it loads up Wii mode and boots to the game automatically without any extra steps.

I can't swear that I've ever tried it, but I've noticed that it says Wii on it when I have a Wii disc inserted. So the Wii U realizes what sort of disc is in without being in Wii mode, so I presume that's what happens when you start up a disc in those circumstances.

Edited by Atariboy