IGNORED

Rom Version od Synassembler?

Allan

I have it but the person that did provide it, does not want it to be shared in public.

That's odd. The disk version is almost the same program. Since (I'm assuming) he isn't the original author nor owner of Synapse, it's not really up to him. I do apprieciate the fact that you are keeping your promise to him. Hopefully somebody else will dump another copy of the cart.

Allan

That's odd. The disk version is almost the same program. Since (I'm assuming) he isn't the original author nor owner of Synapse, it's not really up to him. I do apprieciate the fact that you are keeping your promise to him. Hopefully somebody else will dump another copy of the cart.

Allan

Not exactly. If this guy originally bought this cart he might be convinced by the fact that all carts have a unique serial built in and since this cart is extremely rare and only produced on personal demand (the disk version was the only release and the cart was not a mass production) and this particular person is one of these people who bought the cart I can imagine he does not want it to be spread widely.

On the other side: I would love to release it to the public since it IMHO it is a better assembler than Mac/65 and really capable of doing rather serious and big projects on real hardware.

I will ask him again anyway.

I will ask him again anyway.

If not, maybe you could compare the file version to the ROM image and provide some hints on creating a ROM version. It looks like his main concern is having his serial number exposed.

Well. that is a good idea. Can't be too difficult, since the file version and the rom version both give same memtop, and they both use the DOS memlo.

I'll check it out for you guys.

There is btw. a nasty bug in synassembler.

STA $0000,X

Is assembled as

STA $00,X

strange enough it uses 3 bytes for STA $0000,X … so IIRC STA $0000,X is assembled as $95 00 00 it should be assembled as $9D 00 00

If I'm working on this, I'll see whether I can fix that bug too.

It could be a 'feature' … since I somewhere can remember that this was a known problem, but not possible to fix, since the 8K were 100% used.

In stead of STA $0000,X I now use .DA #$9D,00 (yes 00, since that is assembled as 16 bit integer)

So long as no commercial gain goes on, I doubt anyone would care much if the Rom image was passed around.

Also very much doubt it'd be serialized - I guess if it was on EPROM then maybe but mask ROM, no way.

How can you be so sure? Like I wrote before: it was created on demand. There was no retail Synassembler on cart.

Yes, this is what I emailed him in 2011:

Hi Steve,

Sorry to bother you with a question about one of your projects from years ago. I hope you don't mind... if you are: please consider this email as not sent
;)

If i'm right, you are the coder of the SynAssembler.

I was wondering: can I buy somewhere that Assembler on cartridge? I've heard it was available on cartridge too.

I'm very interested in it.

Thanks

And this was his answer:[

Hi Marius,

Yes, I'm right person.

However, SymAssembler is not available on cartridge anymore. There are people who've copied it from the original and make new ROMS, but I'm not sure who they are. I'll look around, but no promises.

I'm close to releasing a newer version that runs in memory via disk on emulators. Check back at igorlabs.com for details as to when.

Steve

I was really surprised by seeing him tying SYMassembler instead of SynAssembler. Probably his working title wasn't synassembler at all.

Edited by ProWizard

But steve is still playing with the code, as he said in his mail.

And the source to the original S-C assembler for apple is available on line. (although any licence is not obvious :( )

I just wonder about the rights issue: because Synapse was acquired by Brøderbund, then they re-spelt their name and were split and in turn acquired.

Edited by Sub(Function(:))

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I remember Steven's PERL script maxflash.pl has option -MEMPACKER. It means that it's may be possible to save a8s state of Atari running SynAssembler into Maxflash cartridge.

jacobus

Do you know why autorun sys (Which is Synassembler itself) don't loading while booting.

Here is working version named SynAssembler XL 4.0 http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=4.+Programowanie&tg=SynAssembler+XL&PHPSESSID=e29e69ef77a49f4b7692f8b61fe83c9f#SynAssembler_XL

Do you know why autorun sys (Which is Synassembler itself) don't loading while booting

It works.

Use 800 ROM (A or B) in Altirra, or use "The translator" if you have XL/XE computer.

BASIC Must be disabled. From DOS menu use ( M. RUN AT ADDRESS) = 9C00

It is a version 4.0, same as in the link that you posted (But for the older 400/800 computer).. LINK

"SynAssembler © SYNAPSE SOFTWARE

adapted by Steve Hales from the

S-C Assembler II Ver/4.0"

madi

Edited by Madi

I mentioned this in some other thread, but *if* you have a MyIDE-II cart (and probably even MyIDE-I), you can use the disk version of the Synassembler XL as an ATR image. It loads nearly as fast as a cart, so I don't see any further advantage a real rom cart would have.

-Larry

Please excuse me for being curious.

I was wondering what advantages this compiler has over say using MADS from a PC and cross-compiling?

I would have thought that a modern cross-compiler would be much more feature rich.

Or is it for the nostalgia? (which I can't argue with, as that is why we are all here).

• Like 1

Please excuse me for being curious.

I was wondering what advantages this compiler has over say using MADS from a PC and cross-compiling?

I would have thought that a modern cross-compiler would be much more feature rich.

Or is it for the nostalgia? (which I can't argue with, as that is why we are all here).

I'm interesting in collecting ROM's for a lot of different reasons. I'd definitely like to see this one come to light some day, and I'd pay for a copy, even for just the file, if necessary.

I haven't spent time with SynAssembler myself yet, so I'm not entirely hip to all it's features. But I've heard it said quite a few times that it's one of the best available for the system. That, if nothing else warrants at least having a look at it in my book.

Here's one reason why someone might be interested to use it. Think about walking to the grocery store, picking out your groceries by hand, and cooking your own meal when you arrive back home, and then compare that to ordering a meal online and having it delivered. By ordering you'll probably be eating your meal much faster, maybe even have more choices available, and possibly have it prepared by someone who knows how to cook much better than yourself. But walking to the store can allow you to get some exercise, see some interesting sights (not sites) along the way, and, with the items you buy, experience all the steps involved in preparing a meal on your own.

So it's not always a matter of whether there are distinct advantages in terms of features that provide speed and ease in development, but it can have more to do with the features that make it a unique experience. In that sense it can be entirely advantageous to use something like the SynAssembler over a PC based cross-compiler.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1